Menu

Sign Language?

Guest April F

Guest April F

I have 3 dc ages 3,2, and 7 months and I want to teach them sign language. Someone told me there is a difference in the baby signs and actual sign language. Anyone know anything about it or can tell me about any good programs? BTW: If there is a difference I would like to teach them actual sign language.

Thanks

Which one? You don't have a location listed; should I assume you're in the US?

At those ages, anything aimed at kids that is described as ASL rather than baby sign, will be fine. Start with the Signing Times dvds, since they are aimed at little kids. Try your library before you buy, and try to use those signs in your every day life. DON'T speak and sign at the same time, because that hinders learning. And don't believe anyone who says otherwise :D

This is a great book. Heaven knows why we have ASL books in our library system, and you can't rely on a book to teach you to sign because sigsn move and books don't, but it has lots of great tips on how to include signing into your life. http://www.amazon.com/Signing-Smart-Babies-Toddlers-Strategy/dp/0312337035 You might find they are best suited to your youngest and oldest, since the older is probably able to actually look at you and the youngest is still a captive audience and will appreciate attention in any language. If your two year old is like mine, it won't be a lot of use. Mine is too busy climbing on the couch to take time out to look at boring old Mamma! Still, they get there eventually...

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing-there are classes for ASL in many areas-and,in fact, both Signing Smart and Signing time have teacher certifications available. For young kids, it's a good way to get them out with other kids who are using ASL, and that helps support their signing. The Forums on Signing time are also great resources for incorporating ASL and finding ASL outlets in your area.

We do ASL/Spanish/English at home.