Menu

What is meant by a certified transcript?

TravelingChris

At the college where I worked for a while a certified transcript was one we printed on security paper, added an original signature to in colored ink, and stamped with the official school seal. It cost $10. It was the same thing as an official transcript. The same information could be printed on regular old white printer paper for nothing, but it would not be accepted by other colleges or employers because a student could just type up something like that at home and try to pass it off as meaning something.

I'm not at that stage yet, but I think when my kids start applying to colleges I'll probably go down to Staples and pick up a package of security paper to print transcripts on. I might even have a school seal made up just for fun. (Lots of the high school transcripts in the student files I looked at didn't have a school seal on them, so I don't think it's necessary, but it does make it look fancy and add another level of "the student didn't make this up" to the affair. I don't know how colleges would view a homeschool with a school seal, though.)

I'd assume that it's the same thing. Whether or not you will be able to "certify" your homeschool transcript in a way that meets the school's requirements will depend on what kind of transcript the institution recognizes as valid.

Theoretically, you could have your transcript certified in some sense by having it notarized, but that would have no value if the school only recognizes transcripts/diplomas from accredited schools.

I suggest you ask if they recognize homeschool transcripts, and if they do not do so, if they'll accept test scores (AP, SAT, ACT, SATII) as validation of your transcript.

In New Mexico, test scores can be submitted in lieu of a transcript for admissions, but in order to qualify for state scholarships home schooled students who don't have "accredited" diplomas must also take the GED.

That's what I would suggest too --- call the admissions office and ask.

The colleges I asked replied they wanted the transcript from either our umbrella school --- we aren't part of one --- or from the person who oversees our homeschool program. When I said that that was me they were OK with that. Each college did ask for a school profile and a course descriptioin document. The schools that 'fussed' about wanting an official transcript have accepted my DS with his mommy-transcript.

BTW, we do have a school seal. The transcripts that went out snail mail did have the seal on them. It cost about $35 from homeschool diploma.com

Carole