Menu

MEP *and* Math Mammoth?

Radish4ever

Has anyone used the two together?

I've been going back and forth on what I want to use for my kiddos and these are the two that really have my eye... not only are the prices great, but they look like they do a good job covering everything.

If you've done the 2 together, how did you orchestrate it? Specifically, how would you combine the two for K or 1st? What do your kids like/dislike about this arrangement? What do YOU like/dislike?

Thanks!!

Me Me ME !!

I use MM as the spine, and use MEP for enrichment. It means, I only ask my chldren to do select problems from MEP only .. usually the ones with the logic bend, which are not available in MM.

I like MEP for enrichment only because it's much easier to teach math using MM. I still can't wrap my brain around MEP so I choose it for enrichment.

I also add S-pore Word Problem (select problem only) as a enrichment to my second grader.

They work really well in terms of easiness of teaching, thoroughness and challenge.

I like to have one math curric that is slow and steady daily work. This would cover stuff that has been seen before and can be worked *fairly* independently.

Then I like to have maths that introduce stuff in a concrete way, stretch understanding, apply irl, challenge dc to work through a tough puzzle.

Then....I also like to have a math that drills in a fun way. This is RS games and other games.

You could use MM for the slow and steady and pull out pieces of MEP for the 2nd level. OR - you could use MM for a time, and when dc gets bored with it (b/c any math day-in day-out gets boring inHo:lol:) you can pull out MEP and do as written for a while (until she either hits a wall or gets bored again).

I've used both the Light Blue Series and some of the Blue Series, and I find the Light Blue series much easier to use. Everything is in one place, in an order that makes sense, with chapter reviews built in, and you can just chug through it one lesson at a time and know you're covering everything you need to cover for that grade level. With the Blue books, you have to decide which books to teach in which order, whether to insert a few pages of clock or money work into Addition/Subtraction I, or do it between A/S I & II, etc. The Light Blue series is soooo easy to use, I love it.

I don't use MEP, though. I liked the idea of it, but never quite figured out how to use it. Sometimes I supplement with Singapore word problems, or various math games, but honestly Math Mammoth doesn't really need supplementation, unless you just want to break up the routine a bit. It's very complete.

Jackie

I use MM as the spine, and use MEP for enrichment. It means, I only ask my chldren to do select problems from MEP only .. usually the ones with the logic bend, which are not available in MM.

I like MEP for enrichment only because it's much easier to teach math using MM. I still can't wrap my brain around MEP so I choose it for enrichment.

I also add S-pore Word Problem (select problem only) as a enrichment to my second grader.

They work really well in terms of easiness of teaching, thoroughness and challenge.

We do MM, MEP and CWP here for my 9 and 6 year old & :iagree:

Are you guys using the Light Blue Math Mammoth program?

Yep, I use Light Blue for my 1st grader. Be sure to email Maria with any questions - she is very accessible and helpful. Her site and blog have great information - don't miss them!

MEP is called puzzle math around here. Really suits my dd's needs for creative thinking and expression during math time.

Adding CWP is a great idea.

Have fun. :001_smile: