Menu

We were just gifted 2 games that we already own, so I am going to return them and get something else. Our kids are 9, almost 8 and 5 (a VERY early reader), so I am looking for ideas that all of us can play and yet not be too annoying for mom and dad. It doesn't need to be educational...just something fun to play during family game night. We'll probably have about $35 to spend...if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Kathy

Our favorites are Zooreeka, Pictureeka, Stare Jr., and Sequence (also Sequence States and Capitals).

I had never heard of Stare Jr (actually thought it was a typo)..and pictureka was one of the games we are returning...we have it and love it.

thanks for the ideas.

We bought the card game 'Slamwich' for DS for Christmas. Last night, we took it to our New Year's Eve gathering that consisted of ages 2 - adults. By the end of the night, everyone (except the 2 and under crowd) had played and had a blast. The 8-10 year old boys (6 of them) had an especially good time. The best part - I think I only paid $5 for it!

A fun four player game for that age group is Blokus. My kids can play it and enjoy it at their age.

What about a dice game like Yhatzee or Spicy Farkel? Those are fun and would probably work at that age group. They might be a little too much math for your youngest but with some help I'm sure they'd enjoy it.

My boys (10 and 5) and I enjoy Carcassonne. Ds5 does need some help but can still play.

This is an awesome game! We haven't gotten my girls playing it yet but DH and I love it!

We were just gifted 2 games that we already own, so I am going to return them and get something else. Our kids are 9, almost 8 and 5 (a VERY early reader), so I am looking for ideas that all of us can play and yet not be too annoying for mom and dad.

Dc just got In a Pickle for Christmas. It's a card game that's played on a table -- size relationships of various nouns (a chair is bigger than a pillow but smaller than a house) with single noun words on each card. We all enjoyed it. More interesting than it probably sounds.

There's also the Apples to Apples game. I'd get Jr. for your age dc, some of the people and concepts are rather mature for little ones.

Other games listed here are great too.

We love the game "hey that's my fish"

very easy to play, as far as rules, etc. so littles can easily play and not frustrate the others. But it the strategy can be very challenging for olders and adults as well so it's great for varied ages.

it's also inexpensive so you could buy more than one game!

here's a link to more info:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8203/hey-thats-my-fish

We got Apples to Apples Jr. and Buzzwords Jr. for Christmas. The A2A we have played 4-5 times already and BZ twice. The buzzwords would be more fun for a group of kids, the answers are a little easy for the adults. A2A is made so that even the adults have fun.

eta: Uno Attack is also a fun one here.

We just got Quelf for Christmas. This has to be the most hilariously fun game for a family or a group ever. During the game you pick cards where you have to write a poem, or play air drums with kitchen implements until someone rolls a 4, or while everyone else if listening to a card, you sneak off and go hide (and then everyone has to find you). You might have to go around the circle and name brands of clothes until someone can't think of any more, or answer a trivia question, or when the phone rings, everyone has to stand up and yell "Pizza Party". We had so much fun playing this! It says 12 and up, but that's not because of content, it just might be harder for a youngster to do the cards. My 10 yo had no problem. You could easily adjust rules or skip cards if it is too hard. Highly recommended!