Menu

Speaking of Birth Certificates...

Did you know that many original birth certificates are no longer valid!

I have my original California birth certificate and last month when I attempted to apply for my passport I was denied--because my ORIGINAL birth certificate was not on pretty "special" paper.

In California there is a 6 month wait once they receive your application for an original or a duplicate birth certificate. IF you pay a 'service' the going rate of $29.95+ you can have it 'expedited' and the delay is currently at 4 weeks.

This is not just California. I was told that many other states have recently changed requirements (paper) and have made all previously issued certificates invalid.

Here in TX my DH was able to walk into an office in Austin and 10 minutes later walk out with a new certified copy of his...but I was told that most states are not like this.

It might be worth it to make a call and check to see if your birth certificate is still valid.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if my "boring" (and falling apart from ancient crease marks) 1967 Texas-issued birth certificate is any good. Three of my kids were born in TX and theirs are all "pretty", as is that of my Louisiana-born oldest. (One of my children is deceased, which is why the numbers don't add up to what is listed in my signature.)

I'll need to look into that, as we've been discussing my need to get a passport.

Thanks for the info!:001_smile:

I've always taken birth certificates for my kids. I've NEVER been asked for them. I can see them asking for them if the child looks close to 2. I've flown with and without DH, never been asked for bc.

Every time we've gotten birth certificates for our kids, it has always been at the county office and has taken about 10 minutes. We always got 2 copies. It makes things less stressful when we have to send originals (applying for SS cards, passports, etc.) knowing we have a spare copy at home in the safe.

I used my "boring" bc last year when I applied for my passport. No problems, and I'm wondering if now that I have my fancy passport if I need to worry about my non-fancy bc.

Did you know that many original birth certificates are no longer valid!

I have my original California birth certificate and last month when I attempted to apply for my passport I was denied--because my ORIGINAL birth certificate was not on pretty "special" paper.

In California there is a 6 month wait once they receive your application for an original or a duplicate birth certificate. IF you pay a 'service' the going rate of $29.95+ you can have it 'expedited' and the delay is currently at 4 weeks.

Just a sidenote from a Californian whom just purchased a passport. The hospital copy of a birth cert won't work, that "special pretty paper" is called a certified copy. This is their verification that it is a real birth cert. and yes we needed THAT one for the passport. Also, a heads up, b/c I was at the county office, they waved the cert fee if we turned in the old birth cert.

On the expedite thing, my daughters senior class is going to Israel in June and the parents were in a panic to get the birth certs on time. From date we applied until date we received passport in mail was within a month. We did NOT pay extra for the expediting. Just letting know...;)