Menu

Kindergarten plans. A few questions...

staceyobu

This will be for the fall. I've been looking at kindergarten curriculum for almost two years now. I guess if I start today, I won't have as long to look at first grade stuff, lol!

LA: ETC 4, 5, 6

A Reason for Handwriting

Queens Language Lessons for the Very Young (maybe... or might wait for first grade on this)

Sonlight Readers 2

(Could add AAS 1 but I am pretty convinced on waiting on that for first grade.)

****Could use advice on what to keep and what to drop from LA.

History/Lit: Sonlight Core K

Math: Miquon and Singapore (should I just do Miquon for K? Or do the alternating schedule... could use advice here)

She'll go to a one day a week program that will cover art, music, and science. I'm also debating if I want to order Sonlight Science K or not worry about it. Thoughts on that? Will it be fun experiments that won't be "school-ish" or not something else I should add to the table?

One final piece of advice I need... I would like to do something as a "memory" for kindergarten. For preschool this year I did a little book the first couple weeks where we did pages of her family, friends, favorite thing to do, favorite food, etc. I'm trying to think of something like that we could do for the full year of K. Maybe journaling somehow? I had a friend who had her child illustrate a proverb each day (it was hilarious). Any creative ideas for something like that?

Thanks for feedback!!!

I found that when my DD was that age, she had a great attention span for listening to read alouds and talking about them, for doing math work, and drawing, and not much at all for writing. We are Sonlighters, too, and I do love that program. I haven't done the science, though.

When my DD was in K, she had a journal that she wrote in every Monday. It was a sentence or two that began, "On Saturday..." or, "On Sunday..." and had a large space for a picture. Very charming, and a fun thing for her to look back and re-read.

We use Sonlight and science and the read-alouds were dd's favorite! We did SL's history and waited til 1st to do SOTW, and that worked well for us.

We also did a Field Trip Journal where she'd write (or dictate sometimes) where we went and what she liked about it, along with drawing a picture. Sometimes I'd buy postcards and have her write on those. We also did Flat Stanley in K, and she loved it.

This will be for the fall. I've been looking at kindergarten curriculum for almost two years now. I guess if I start today, I won't have as long to look at first grade stuff, lol!

LA: ETC 4, 5, 6

A Reason for Handwriting

Queens Language Lessons for the Very Young (maybe... or might wait for first grade on this)

Sonlight Readers 2

(Could add AAS 1 but I am pretty convinced on waiting on that for first grade.)

****Could use advice on what to keep and what to drop from LA.

If you are doing ETC/ A Reason for Handwriting/ Readers you have the basics covered. I personally wouldn't do both ETC and AAS. I think you are on the right track by waiting on LLVY until first.

Math: Miquon and Singapore (should I just do Miquon for K? Or do the alternating schedule... could use advice here)

One or the other but not both. Miquon is actually 1-3 grade so you may need to keep that in consideration when pacing your lessons....it's been years since I've looked at the Miquon.

She'll go to a one day a week program that will cover art, music, and science. I'm also debating if I want to order Sonlight Science K or not worry about it. Thoughts on that? Will it be fun experiments that won't be "school-ish" or not something else I should add to the table?

If she is doing a weekly class that covers science then I personally wouldn't also add in any extra science for K. Although Sonlight Science is fun.

One final piece of advice I need... I would like to do something as a "memory" for kindergarten. For preschool this year I did a little book the first couple weeks where we did pages of her family, friends, favorite thing to do, favorite food, etc. I'm trying to think of something like that we could do for the full year of K. Maybe journaling somehow? I had a friend who had her child illustrate a proverb each day (it was hilarious). Any creative ideas for something like that?

Blog?

Thanks for feedback!!!

Sonlight K/ETC/A reason for writing/Readers/Miquon OR Singapore and the co-op class sounds like a very full K year.

The best thing you can do for your future years is to get in a good workable routine this year.

Have FUN!

LA: I'd stick with ETC, Handwriting, and Readers for at least the first half of K. I would wait on the others.

Math: We alternate Miquon Orange and Singapore 1A in K. By themselves, I think they each move a little too fast at that age.

I'd skip the Sonlight science. Just let her do the science at class and maybe add in a science book or two from the library every week. (Let's Read and Find Out Science and Magic School Bus are a good place to start.)

My recommendations:

LA: ETC 4, 5, 6, A Reason for Handwriting, Sonlight Readers 2. I wouldn't worry about LLFVY or AAS until first grade.

Math: If you haven't done Singapore Earlybird, I would start with that and add Miquon in the second half of the year. Otherwise I would alternate Singapore and Miquon.

If she really, really loves science, you could get the SL science K, otherwise I would just read books and buy some fun experiement kits.