Menu

Anyone Else Have the Blahs?

I don't know what the problem is, but I just can't shake this feeling of....ick.

I'm typically very even emotionally, but I've been pretty down the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the holiday season and family stuff that goes along with it (although I have rather enjoyed my holidays), or if it's end of the year "what-have-I-done-with-my-life-this-year" stuff, or subconscious lamentation over choices made that I wish I could take back. I don't know. I don't like it.

I've had bouts of mild depression in the past, but I could always link it to something (i.e., divorce). I've taken medication while I worked through issues, then I was done with it. This time there is nothing to be depressed about, and it's making me mad!

Is it just me? Anyone have a magic cure? This is for the birds.

...maybe you're a bit burned out. Stress will do this to you, and homeschooling as a single parent must be really, really tough and pretty stressful.

I don't know whether you're feeling low enough that you can't 'snap out of it', but exercise, sunshine, and counting your blessings are sometimes helpful for mild blahs. Just, please, don't judge yourself if those are not enough. I'm just mentioning them as a good starting point.

I think this time of year, with all its busy-ness and family interactions, can really do a number on all of us. And the whole taking stock thing that most of us do at the end/beginning of a year makes us stop and think about things we generally put off dealing with. And, honestly, I think the generally poor eating we do this time of year contributes more than we realize.

The advice of the PP is good...exercise, good food and water, sunshine and being kind to yourself. After that...you'll know if you need more. :grouphug::grouphug:

Yep. I always find the holidays difficult--my extended family are quite difficult, and I dread the drama each year. Plus, this year our fall was consumed with a nightmare asbestos-removal project (3 grinding months) and a lot of ill health. We felt like our schooling was marginal and dry. We so long for it to be better, and are sooooo tired.

Hello,

For the first time in my life (43 y.o.) I am struggling to stay cheerful and hopeful. Actually I think it is mostly because of the deepening national debt, recession, religious issues and concerns for what we are leaving the next generation. When I start to think I am just "too negative" I look again and think that no, it is really concerning. Thankfully, today is sunny and breezy and I know that if I get outside and sweat/walk everything always seems better. Best wishes. I certainly wish I lived near some of you ;)

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice. There are certainly some things I can do proactively to turn it around. Now I just have to get the desire and energy to actually do them...:)

For those of you who are going through it too...hugs! I suppose we should remember that this, too, shall pass. It always does. No fun in the interim, though. Sigh.

I don't know what the problem is, but I just can't shake this feeling of....ick.

I'm typically very even emotionally, but I've been pretty down the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the holiday season and family stuff that goes along with it (although I have rather enjoyed my holidays), or if it's end of the year "what-have-I-done-with-my-life-this-year" stuff, or subconscious lamentation over choices made that I wish I could take back. I don't know. I don't like it.

I've had bouts of mild depression in the past, but I could always link it to something (i.e., divorce). I've taken medication while I worked through issues, then I was done with it. This time there is nothing to be depressed about, and it's making me mad!

Is it just me? Anyone have a magic cure? This is for the birds.

This is my life!!! I take medication but still I feel blah a lot. I think for me it is because in so many ways I feel trapped. Like I have no control over my life. Everything in the news is so negative, the recession, etc. I worry about my kids futures and it is depressing when I think about it.

Edited by AnitaMcC

This is my life!!! I take medication but still I feel blah a lot. I think for me it is because in so many ways I feel trapped. Like I have no control over my life. Everything in the news is so negative, the recession, etc. I worry about my kids futures and it is depressing when I think about it.

Oh, my...me too! Maybe I'm just finding it harder to ignore things these days. And maybe it's part burnout, too.

Vitamin D? Iron? A one time extra dose of either of those is often enough to kick my energy level up. Big doses of a good (easily dissolvable) Cal/mag supp is essential too-- facilitating neurons, etc. Beyond those, B's are often HUGE for good energy/outlook. SAM-e, 5-HTP, GABA, and L-Tyrosine may also be important for you. "The Mood Cure" is an excellent resource for more info. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, people who've had one episode are likely to have more. However, this is something which we (hallelujah) have some say in. There's interesting research re: how to stop that. Check out some of he newer books about stopping depression (and even rewiring the brain) at your library. And if you feel yourself slipping past the blahs into a place where things are darker, please don't hesitate to seek help. Prescriptions can be miraculous!

HTH.

PS -- stop watching/listening to/reading the news (really) and start a gratitude journal or list. Gather the kids and write a family mission statement. Have treats more often (chocolate, walks, a good book or music or magazine that you normally wouldn't have time for).

Edited by Mama Bear

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have recently tried something that appears to be working. I agree with the vitamins and exercise recommendations. My most recent epiphany on my own personal bout with negative thinking has been to get positive. I'm sure this sounds irrationally simple. I have lamented my tendencies to turn into an "Eeyore-type" my whole life. Now I do believe we all have our tendencies, but I have decided that I need to make it my personal spiritual battle (I strongly believe it is a very real one) to fight that tendency any time it rears its ugly head. I have known some people who have had really tough things to deal with in their lives and they have somehow remained positive, happy people. It has been inspiring to me to know people like that, but I never felt strong in that way. I had a real dark spell this holiday season for a period of time. It was during this time I happened to be doing some grocery shopping and passed by an woman who appeared to have very little mobility in a motorized wheelchair doing her shopping. She had a helper with her who was reaching things off the shelf. It wasn't a friend or relative, but a store worker. Later, when I checked out I left the store and I saw her being loaded into the back of a van with some kind of lift device. It was an assisted living transportation van. I am glad I noticed the bumper sticker she had stuck on the back of her chair. It said, "Misery is Optional." Wow! I felt ministered to in that moment just by this snippet of her life that I saw. If her daily life and all she has to deal with could be victorious by fighting the negative thoughts, surely mine could.

In those times when I have those dark emotions trying to take hold, I am resolving myself to choose something positive to focus on. In addition to a natural bent to be positive, I am sure there is a very real choice involved. I think my natural bent to let negative thoughts get me down is on some level a choice I have made. I heard this somewhere once and although I've said it to my son (another Eeyore at times :001_smile:), I have just recently made it my own mantra, "You can't control when a bird lands on your head, but you CAN keep it from roosting there." Maybe Dr. Phil said that. HTH!

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have recently tried something that appears to be working. I agree with the vitamins and exercise recommendations. My most recent epiphany on my own personal bout with negative thinking has been to get positive. I'm sure this sounds irrationally simple. I have lamented my tendencies to turn into an "Eeyore-type" my whole life. Now I do believe we all have our tendencies, but I have decided that I need to make it my personal spiritual battle (I strongly believe it is a very real one) to fight that tendency any time it rears its ugly head. I have known some people who have had really tough things to deal with in their lives and they have somehow remained positive, happy people. It has been inspiring to me to know people like that, but I never felt strong in that way. I had a real dark spell this holiday season for a period of time. It was during this time I happened to be doing some grocery shopping and passed by an woman who appeared to have very little mobility in a motorized wheelchair doing her shopping. She had a helper with her who was reaching things off the shelf. It wasn't a friend or relative, but a store worker. Later, when I checked out I left the store and I saw her being loaded into the back of a van with some kind of lift device. It was an assisted living transportation van. I am glad I noticed the bumper sticker she had stuck on the back of her chair. It said, "Misery is Optional." Wow! I felt ministered to in that moment just by this snippet of her life that I saw. If her daily life and all she has to deal with could be victorious by fighting the negative thoughts, surely mine could.

In those times when I have those dark emotions trying to take hold, I am resolving myself to choose something positive to focus on. In addition to a natural bent to be positive, I am sure there is a very real choice involved. I think my natural bent to let negative thoughts get me down is on some level a choice I have made. I heard this somewhere once and although I've said it to my son (another Eeyore at times :001_smile:), I have just recently made it my own mantra, "You can't control when a bird lands on your head, but you CAN keep it from roosting there." Maybe Dr. Phil said that. HTH!

Thanks...I needed that! This is also a battle for me that I am about to take head-on!

Ugh...that's me. I feel trapped. I feel like I'm at the mercy of everyone else, but me. Probably selfish, but geez, I can't even remember the last time I could watch a movie in full without dh turning it off and saying it's time for bed (10pm)! 10pm is fine, but we can't even finish a netflix movie on a Friday night!

We eat at 7-7:30 because DH wants to. I'm sick of the grind and sick of the dead AZ desert. I want to move. I'm sick of homeschooling too, really and dd doesn't exactly love it. It's always a battle or something she tolerates. I have no hobbies either and when does one have time for those? Hs-ing, karate, laundry and household chores and the day is done.

I need to repaint, but have no clue what to put together as I have no friends that find that an interest. I used to love to rearrange, but can't do that either, otherwise dh has a fit. Plus everything is so big now; big screen tv's, and huge armoires and entertainment centers, that I can't move them anyway. I feel like I'm stuck and sinking most of the time because I feel like everything I want or like to do is stiffled in some way. I'd love to be to just be more mellow and school for fun, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing sometimes. I suppose this too shall pass. That's what they say.

I agree...it's like how did I let my life get so dictated? Yep...it is my fault. And I always think, quit whining. Some would love to be in my shoes as others have it rougher...like fighting for their lives...

Ugh...that's me. I feel trapped. I feel like I'm at the mercy of everyone else, but me. Probably selfish, but geez, I can't even remember the last time I could watch a movie in full without dh turning it off and saying it's time for bed (10pm)! 10pm is fine, but we can't even finish a netflix movie on a Friday night!

We eat at 7-7:30 because DH wants to. I'm sick of the grind and sick of the dead AZ desert. I want to move. I'm sick of homeschooling too, really and dd doesn't exactly love it. It's always a battle or something she tolerates. I have no hobbies either and when does one have time for those? Hs-ing, karate, laundry and household chores and the day is done.

I need to repaint, but have no clue what to put together as I have no friends that find that an interest. I used to love to rearrange, but can't do that either, otherwise dh has a fit. Plus everything is so big now; big screen tv's, and huge armoires and entertainment centers, that I can't move them anyway. I feel like I'm stuck and sinking most of the time because I feel like everything I want or like to do is stiffled in some way. I'd love to be to just be more mellow and school for fun, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing sometimes. I suppose this too shall pass. That's what they say.

:grouphug:

Gee... you must be my twin-LOL. Pretty much all you have said is same here... except I like homeschooling my twins (so far).