Menu

How do you utilize Cliff Notes or similar?

I'm going to be tackling some heavy reading and I want to use Cliff Notes (or Sparknotes). Do you read part of Cliff Notes, then read the corresponding book portion? Or the other way round; book first, then notes? I have never used Cliff Notes before - I always thought they were for the kids in high school who couldn't bear to read the actual book! ;)

I always thought they were for the kids in high school who couldn't bear to read the actual book! ;)

I always had this impression as well! I never used Cliff Notes in school, but I have picked up a few of them at Goodwill for books I was intending to use for our homeschooling. I think I would prefer to read the book first. There are lots of spoilers in the Cliff notes. I'd rather try and read the book and see what I could get out of it first, instead of having the story over-analyzed for me before I even cracked open the actual book. Then afterwards I might look at the Cliff notes to see if there were any themes I might have overlooked.

Kathleen

I'm going to be tackling some heavy reading and I want to use Cliff Notes (or Sparknotes). Do you read part of Cliff Notes, then read the corresponding book portion? Or the other way round; book first, then notes? I have never used Cliff Notes before - I always thought they were for the kids in high school who couldn't bear to read the actual book! ;)

I am a whole-picture kind of person, so with Spaeknotes I read the plot summary and character list before reading the book. Then I might read the rest of the material in Sparknotes if I want to clarify something or see if I've missed anything.