Menu

My grammar and logic discovery - a lightbulb moment...

Colleen in NS

I'm frantically studying ahead in preparation for ds10's entry into logic stage studies next year. I'm inching along in R&S 4 English (I may even get the courage to skip up to 5 soon), and I decided this week to tackle Mind Benders A books. I didn't think I could do them very easily, but I have conquered A1 and A2 already, in just a few days!! Who ever knew you could solve problems like that with a chart?????? I had no idea!!!!!! I used to read problems like that, or hear someone tell me those types of problems, and thought I was just stupid because I could NOT figure out the answers - it always seemed like there was not enough information. But wow, a simple chart, a few pointers on how to use the chart and how to reason, and off I went. I became obsessed with solving as many as possible in half hour spurts here and there.:lol:

Anyway, the lightbulb moment came when I realized that I was mentally applying my recent knowledge of some grammar concepts, plus taking sentences apart (from learning about some reasons for diagraming), to solve these puzzles. I had to use grammar to start reasoning through the puzzle. It was so fun!:D

And, after an hour or so of doing that this evening, I promptly went off and grabbed a piece of paper, made a chart, and solved some scheduling (events plus people) dilemmas I had over the next three days! The mental reasoning helped me to solve the schedules quickly.

I'm so excited to be learning how to think more clearly, LOL!

And, since I turn 40 years old today, it's about time for me. :)

Not sure if you want a:

:grouphug:

or a:

:chillpill:

or maybe a:

:auto: and a ticket out of Here!

(I turn 40 April 8th - at least it's during Spring Break!!!!!!)

And, yes, it's very cool to finally feel educated (somewhat), "ain't it"?

Rhonda

Happy Birthday Colleen!!!

:nopity: (Yes, I know this is the no pity icon, just pretend it's me on a miniature cello playing Happy Birthday just for you, ok?!)

:thumbup: on the logic! I'm one of those that does logic problems for fun. My parents introduced me to Mind Benders as a child and I've been hooked ever since. :)

Not sure if you want a:

:grouphug:

or a:

:chillpill:

or maybe a:

:auto: and a ticket out of Here!

(I turn 40 April 8th - at least it's during Spring Break!!!!!!)

And, yes, it's very cool to finally feel educated (somewhat), "ain't it"?

Rhonda

Yep, sho 'nuf is! hahahaha I love it when I feel I've conquered another teeny tiny skill.

Early Happy Birthday to you, too!

Happy Birthday Colleen!!!

:nopity: (Yes, I know this is the no pity icon, just pretend it's me on a miniature cello playing Happy Birthday just for you, ok?!)

:thumbup: on the logic! I'm one of those that does logic problems for fun. My parents introduced me to Mind Benders as a child and I've been hooked ever since. :)

Hi Kristiana!

Thank you! I would NOT have thought it was a no pity icon - I immediately knew it was a symbol of you! Thank you so much!

You did MB as a child??? I've never even heard of them. I just keep discovering all sorts of gems in WTM and here on the boards. It's so much fun.

Hope your family is doing well. J was playing your CD the other day - such beautiful music......

First, I'll say Happy Birthday! I turn 45 in about 10 days. EEEK You're just a baby! :drool5:

Second, WAY COOL! I love it when I learn something new. I don't learn new things very easily. Old dog -- new tricks. You know.

Third, you don't have to feel frantic about the onset of the logic stage. It comes on very gradually. It's fun that you're doing those puzzles in advance, though. Keep your answers. It's hard when your dc asks for help. There's no way to jump in in the middle to help them. You pretty much have to start the problem from the beginning to figure out what's going on. You actually might want to keep a list of the steps you take as you do the problems. It might come in handy later.

First, I'll say Happy Birthday! I turn 45 in about 10 days. EEEK You're just a baby! :drool5:

Second, WAY COOL! I love it when I learn something new. I don't learn new things very easily. Old dog -- new tricks. You know.

Third, you don't have to feel frantic about the onset of the logic stage. It comes on very gradually. It's fun that you're doing those puzzles in advance, though. Keep your answers. It's hard when your dc asks for help. There's no way to jump in in the middle to help them. You pretty much have to start the problem from the beginning to figure out what's going on. You actually might want to keep a list of the steps you take as you do the problems. It might come in handy later.

Thanks for the birthday greeting!

And, OH NO! I did all the puzzles on scrap pieces of paper (so I could save and photocopy the book pages for both kids) and threw them away when I was done!! I did, for a moment, think about saving them, but the thought escaped before I could act on it. However, it also did occur to me that I should probably sit down and work the puzzles with ds, so I could go through the thought process again, and see how he thinks them through. I know what you mean, though - there were a few times when I had to start over, because I forgot what my train of thought was in solving them!

Thanks for the tip......