Menu

where/how do you save money/cut corners

i have started unplugging electronics and appliances not in use regularly (i.e. extra tvs in the den and spare bedroom, coffee maker, rechargeable dust buster, coffee grinder, toaster, treadmill, etc).

i have purged our grocery list of almost all snack items for dh and myself. only dd gets snack items and occasionally myself (popcorn for example that dd and i will share as a snack). I am committed to keeping as much fresh fruits and veggies on our list as possible so something had to go. oh and i also stockpile when something is a good sale

we no longer have cable, just internet and digital phone through a provider but i am considering magic jack

keep the heat low (usually around 65 during the winter) and only run the a/c at night during the summer because we keep it cool (dh is a mega sweater)

cut out almost all extemporaneous shopping trips--no more just going "window shopping"

recycle and reuse as much as possible

use "un-paper towels" (washable rags/cloths), cloth diapers mainly (except for babysitters), donate clothes (tax write off, not why i do it but it's a benefit), etc

This topic comes up a lot, and there are some amazing posts by some amazing mamas (and papas, sorry guys!). I think if you type "frugal" into the search you will come up with some great threads. Perhaps some one else knows some of the other key words commonly used. Good luck with tightening the purse strings! It is tough, but worth it.

There is a Frugal Living social group here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=71. I couldn't tell for sure upon glancing, but it looks like it might not be that active anymore. Sounds like a great time to revive it! I plan to start making my own soap (from sources that I can gather ingredients from free/naturally - not little glycerin shaped soaps) and laundry detergent just as soon as I get the recipes from friends. I've been printing coupons off from couponmom . com (spaces removed), and saved $17 on my last shopping trip. We don't get the newspaper, we just read it online. I just found "work" in driving some other kids home from my dd's school - their house isn't far from ours, but the school (charter) doesn't offer bussing. The mom offered to pay for partial gas for a trip I'd be making anyhow for dd.

When my boys get holes in the knees of their pants I use material from pants they've grown out of (which also have holes so are already ruined) to patch up the current pairs. I also use any socks, etc. that have holes as cleaning rags - saves a sponge or paper towel. You can sew clothes for smaller kids out of discarded clothes from yourself, dh, or bigger kids.

Other than that, I'm at a loss as to where else to cut. The only other option seems to be adding to the income somehow.

i totally forgot i use coupons but since we cut out a lot of processed stuff there aren't too much use anymore :(

and i am planning on doing my laundry soap when i run out of this next bottle of tide free (we all have sensitive skin). i also do not use cleansers unless we are moving and the house needs a chemical clean lol...i use lots of white vinegar and baking soda for toilets and white vinegar for windows, counter tops etc. i will use baking soda as a paste (mix with water) for scouring

Once, or twice a week plan a 'cheap night' meal. For us, that usually means breakfast burritos or pancakes or grilled cheese and tomato soup.

If you haven't already done extreme cutting to your grocery budget, these 'cheap nights' can make a big difference.

yup we do a lot of burritos/breakfast food and are making a super conscious effort to use up leftovers.

my only archenemy is dd's refusal to eat beans or meat. it makes it hard to flesh out her meals (she gets protein other ways--peanut butter, soy milk, etc).

Guest Dulcimeramy
yup we do a lot of burritos/breakfast food and are making a super conscious effort to use up leftovers.

my only archenemy is dd's refusal to eat beans or meat. it makes it hard to flesh out her meals (she gets protein other ways--peanut butter, soy milk, etc).

A bit of encouragement, she may grow out of that. All of my children were bean-haters as little ones, but eating them faithfully by age 5 or 6. I find that baked beans are the best intro when the time is right, because they are sweet!

Here, Bean Phase Two is bean burritos with lots of cheese.

And Bean Phase Three for my boys has been lentils mixed with brown rice, carrots, onions, garlic, and lots of cumin.

After that, they can eat anything. LOL

A bit of encouragement, she may grow out of that. All of my children were bean-haters as little ones, but eating them faithfully by age 5 or 6. I find that baked beans are the best intro when the time is right, because they are sweet!

Here, Bean Phase Two is bean burritos with lots of cheese.

And Bean Phase Three for my boys has been lentils mixed with brown rice, carrots, onions, garlic, and lots of cumin.

After that, they can eat anything. LOL

yeah i keep offering them but inevitably have to have a sandwich ready otherwise she won't eat lol.

she won't do baked beans, or bean burritos/enchiladas but will do a white bean chili, so maybe it's something with how they look lol.

We have been living quite frugally for 4 years now. We started by taking a Crown Financial class at church (like Dave Ramsey) and then since then we have been teaching the class at least once per year and I tell you, we feel we HAVE to keep teaching it to remain faithful/committed to the cause!

I love, love, love The Tightwad Gazette. I bought the complete volume and have it tagged/dog eared/highlighted. I do wish she would do an updated version, but it is still has GREAT insight.

We buy 99% of our clothing/shoes from thrift stores or at 90% off if from a retailer.

One thing from the Tightwad Gazette I learned is that if you have the space, buy clothing you see that is really good in all sizes, even if it isn't "this year's" size. For example, my boys love to go play in the snow, but the snow is only really up in the mountains and we only go once or twice per year. So, I buy all of their snow pants/gloves/boots at thrift stores/yard sales and even get them in the summer in larger sizes that they may not even wear for 2 more years, because then I don't have to panic and go spend retail because we don't have it on hand.

Phone:

I am bolding this because I am so pleased with it. I too was looking at switching to Magic Jack. We have had Vonage for 3 years and I thought it was a good deal ($33/mo with tax) but wanted to cut that and maybe get Magic Jack. Magic Jack doesn't have the best reviews so I was very hesitant.

I have now discovered Ooma. You can find out more info on Ooma.com. We love it! It is very similar in quality to Vonage, uses your modem/router, and the initial cost is $199, but there are no more fees/costs EVER after that for their basic service (unlimited US calls, caller ID, call waiting, and voicemail.) They do offer a premium service for $12/mo but we don't need that.

I ordered it from Costco.com as they offered the best deal.

Dawn

I have MagicJack and think it's pretty great. I has had some quirks at times, but no more than our Comcast phone line did.

Have you experienced any quirks at all with Ooma? My initial investment in MagicJack was so low I felt like if it didn't work well we wouldn't have lost much. Now we keep it up b/c it's practically free and it's better than Comcast was even with the quirks... When we had comcast sometimes it just didn't work at all, and people were getting messages that our phone was disconnected for no reason. At least MagicJack doesn't make people think we don't pay our bill, LOL.

I haven't so far.

We were waiting to try Magic Jack until they allowed you to keep your number, but many I talked to complained that MagicJack had delays in hearing on both sides of the phone. Also, you have to keep your computer on at all times, which I wasn't really thrilled with. At least now, even if the internet is down, people can leave messages.

We use our home phone quite frequently, it isn't just a back up phone, so that is why I wanted something a little more meaty, if that makes sense.

Dawn

I have MagicJack and think it's pretty great. I has had some quirks at times' date=' but no more than our Comcast phone line did.

Have you experienced any quirks at all with Ooma? My initial investment in MagicJack was so low I felt like if it didn't work well we wouldn't have lost much. Now we keep it up b/c it's practically free and it's better than Comcast was even with the quirks... When we had comcast sometimes it just didn't work at all, and people were getting messages that our phone was disconnected for no reason. At least MagicJack doesn't make people think we don't pay our bill, LOL.[/quote']

I have cut our grocery bill by more than half in recent months. I was using 3 rolls of premium paper towels weekly; now I use one small roll that costs $.70. I got over my germ-o-phobia and started using rags that I wash daily. :)

I am only cooking meals where I can feed my family of 5 for $5 or less total. Having to be creative there but it's definitely doable. Roast when it is on sale, lots of breakfast for dinner (pumpkin pancakes and migas being our favorites), usually at least one pot of soup per week from a whole chicken I get for $.88 a pound and one or two bean dishes a week (black bean tacos and red beans and rice are regular menu items here!).

I don't buy trash bags any more but use the bags from the grocery store doubled up instead. Previously, I was using reusable grocery sacks I purchased a few years ago and still buying trash bags. Now I have eliminated that cost from our budget and am putting no more in the landfill than before. I actually like using the smaller bags b/c we don't generate that much trash as we recycle mightily! By the time we filled a 13 gal bag it was all stinky and yucky.

I only use baking soda and vinegar for household cleaners.

I use lots of coupons. We don't use prepackaged foods or commercial cleaners but I still find that I can use anywhere from $5-$10 worth per week, sometimes more. By pairing a coupon with a really good store sale I can often get national brands cheaper than store brands so I keep my eyes open for those opportunities (see below).

My store has great store brands and I have switched to store brands on most things. A few notable exceptions are Ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips and good razors. ;)

I bake our own bread and make our own salsa. We were spending $8 a week on 2 loaves of ww premium bread. Now I make our own for about $1.25 a loaf. We also were spending $4 a jar on our favorite salsa, sometimes $8 if I needed to buy 2 jars (dh and I like hot and the kids like mild). Now I make a huge batch of salsa for a fraction of that cost. We Texans are serious about our salsa! :)

Oh and I save some of that newspaper for window cleaning and save even more on paper towels that way!

I turned our heat down to 68 (used to keep it at 72) and wear two layers of socks and a sweatshirt at all times. I saw that someone earlier in the thread turns their heat to 65. I am going to start doing that at night as I can snuggle under a mountain of blankets and stay warm. 68 in the day is as low as this cold-natured gal can go though! We don't turn on lights in the day unless it's really cloudy outside either.

I am hyper-diligent about water usage. I put a water bottle filled with sand in each toilet (read that was a better option than a brick), fill the sink with a tiny bit of water to rinse all dishes before putting into dishwasher. Before I would just leave the water running the whole time I was rinsing dishes. :001_huh: I save rainwater to water my outdoor plants, too. Our water bills have definitely gone down.

I don't use baggies unless it's absolutely necessary and I try to reuse them as much as possible.

If I think of more, I'll come back and add.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I just patched a pair of my 5yo's jeans. They were perfectly good except he fell down on the cement and ripped one knee open. I will also cut off the legs of winter pants that have worn knees to make shorts for the next summer.

A couple of months ago, I cut our water bill by adjusting our shower heads to a lower pressure and putting a bottle full of rocks in the toilet tank.

This month I have declared "spend only on essentials" month. I've already told my kids that if we don't need it, we won't be buying it. Hopefully that will help to pay for the repairs needed on the van.

My number one money saving thing is to shop sales with coupons and menu plan!

I sit down once a week and look at sales - I stock up on things like toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, etc when i can get it for free or almost free. I also stock up on things that won't go bad when I find them on sale (we like muffin mixes that you just mix with milk - got about 40 packs of them when they I could get them for about 20cents per pack; also got lots of apple sauce for a really great deal like that).

I plan our meals for the week based on whatever we have going on so I know what I'll have time to prepare for.

I write down what we'll have for breakfast, lunch, and supper.

This helps with impulse shopping (I plan menus from my pantry and freezer, then from sales). Also helps cut down on eating out (I have been the "let's just eat out tonight queen). I also like to keep a few emergency meals in the freezer too.

I use southernsavers.com to help me plan my weekly shopping.

I avoid Wal Mart as much as possible because often the "more expensive" stores offer better deals if you are shopping smart.

I don't make my own laundry detergent, but I have a friend who does and i buy it off of her - I pay her $5 for a big jug (64 load gain bottle that I was paying $13 for) - it pretty much makes hers free for her and makes mine very cheap!

I definitely agree with the menu planning and shopping the sales. I don't use coupons often because I buy so little that could use coupons. I keep a very well stocked pantry, replacing items only when they are on a really good sale. I also try to shop for at least 1 week at a time. I do usually go to the grocery weekly, because I'm able to grocery shop kidless when we go for our weekly visit to my parents. But, if weather kept us from going there one week, we could make it on the stockpile I already have (we even have 7 half gallons of milk frozen since I have a rather difficult driveway). I spent $173 on groceries/hba/diapers ($36 of it was diapers/wipes) this month for my family, and we still do some convenience foods (frozen waffles, chips, some store bread) and I still drink pop (but, only when I can get it cheap...right now Walmart has 2 liters of Sunkist for 88c and I don't spend more than $2.50 per 12 pack for cans. I need to quit, but its kind of my sanity saver). We very rarely eat out ($10.14 this month, because my little one had an ear infection and we needed a meal out with her going to the doctor), and when we do we rarely get full meals, just a burger each to tide us over until we can eat at home. I do get a lot of stuff from Aldi because they have such great prices.

I also find that they less I go out, the less I spend. We have lots of friends we can visit in the neighbor hood, so it doesn't keep us isolated, but if you aren't in the store you're a lot less likely to spend. I try to make a list and stick to it, unless it is something I know we *need* and not just a want.

I have plastic to put over my windows to help keep in the heat, but I haven't put it up yet because I need to make sure it will stick to the frame inside (bare/unfinished wood) and it's cold/snowy outside. I'll probably put it up this weekend while my kids are with their Dad.

Menu planning based on sales helps me more than coupons. We, also, eat breakfast for dinner and meatless meals at least twice per week. Last night dinner consisted of cheese omelets and some left over ham. I'm trying to prepare more soups but we're not there yet.

We turn off everything electrical at night and when we are out for most of the day. Heat is off during the night but we live in Texas! During the day, I'll turn on the heat if we are really uncomfortable. My 12 yo DD doesn't mind the cold but my 9 yo DD and I get cold easily. I bought myself a heated throw as an early Christmas present. It's wonderful. We use a heated twin blanket on the sofa as well. Right now, its 41 outside and our heat is off.

Recently, I read about the family cloth here on this forum. We've switched to cloth for #1 only. The savings in paper is amazing. Plus all of us prefer the cloth now.

I also find Freecycle a help. Of course, it's hit and miss. I was given a working food saver last week. Mine had stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize how often I used it until I didn't have one.

We buy as much as possible from thrift stores and garage sales. Unfortunately, I'm finding it difficult to buy used clothes for my 12 yo. She's wearing adult sizes but is hard to fit.

Ann

I spent $173 on groceries/hba/diapers ($36 of it was diapers/wipes) this month for my family, and we still do some convenience foods (frozen waffles, chips, some store bread) and I still drink pop (but, only when I can get it cheap...right now Walmart has 2 liters of Sunkist for 88c and I don't spend more than $2.50 per 12 pack for cans. I need to quit, but its kind of my sanity saver).

Okay that amount is waaay impressive to me. I saw that you are a single mom so only feeding one adult not two (and my dh is a big (healthy) eater) would cut down on my budget. But still $173 for an adult and 3 kids in amazing, especially since it includes diapers. Can you share more secrets?

I am spending $100 a week for my family of 5 and about $25-$30 a week is fresh produce. I used to spend more but I have switched to using lots of frozen veggies to cut down on price there. We don't do any dyes, additives, or preservatives either and try really hard to avoid nitrates/nitrites.

We don't have cable, we have pay-as-you-go cell phones that we rarely use, don't do the fast-food/Starbucks thing unless we're out somewhere and need to eat (as opposed to I just don't feel like cooking). I think the key to living frugally and sticking with it, is cutting out the unnecessary things first - the things you really don't care about that much, so it's not that painful to live with out. For example, DH and I aren't real tv watchers anyhow, so no cable was a no brainer.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Could you tell me a little more about cleaning with baking soda and vinegar? Do I put baking soda on the counter and the spray on vinegar and wipe? My kitchen counter/eating bar gets dirty and sticky so fast.

For us, the challenge is finding somewhere to go to burn off energy in the winter without spending a lot of money. We are outside when the temperature is above 0 but there are quite a few days here in Minnesota where it is colder than that. The house is too small to stay inside all day so we find ourselves at the playland at the mall or McDonalds and spending money while there.

Well, we don't avoid a lot of the things that you have to avoid, and I look out for things we eat a lot that are on sale. It helps that I have a wide variety of stores that I can shop at. I have a Kroger relative called JayC in my parents hometown (they live 50 miles away, but we visit weekly), as well as a Walmart and Aldi, plus I drive past Marsh, Buehlers and Kroger on our way home from our visit. Frequently, they will have things on sale at Kroger but not JayC or vice versa. Marsh doesn't have great prices sometimes, but you can bet I'm there when they have rump roast for $1.48lb (or ground beef for that matter).

Running a well stocked pantry is absolutely key to keeping my budget low, I have I lot of canned goods, flour, dried beans, etc plus a small chest freezer. I shoot for 30-38 a week on groceries (try to keep it at 30, to allow for diapers. She was 3 last month, so we should be able to drop those someday). I say my budget includes hba, but I haven't bought anything but dish soap in months, and shouldn't have to for several more months (I have a ton of tp, paper towels, shampoo, etc). I have 2.5 boxes of saltine crackers because I only buy them when they are $1 a box at Kroger/JayC. I try to get waffles for $1 for a box of 10 (if I can stick to the budget I will go up to $1.31 a box, they will eat 2+ boxes a week if I let them). I buy chicken breast when they are below $2 a lb (about 2 lbs, this makes ~3 meals for us for a ~1.5lb package, so about $1 per meal and that is at least 3 weeks worth of chicken meals for us...I think I have ~5lbs of chicken in the freezers). Ground beef I try to hit below $1.50 a lb but will sometimes buy at $1.69. This was making 4 meals for us per lb, but I'm going to have to go to 1/3lb for burritoes at least (chili we can still do ~1/4lb because we do that as a soup, with a lot of spaghetti in it). When we have pork chops, my DDs don't eat much meat, so we can do about 1/3lb, pounded thin and DS gets the biggest piece (I have to *make* the girls eat their servings). We coat pork chops in eggs and crushed saltines, cook them in olive oil and serve them with lots of mashed potatoes, a white sauce/gravy and corn. We use meat as a flavoring more often than not. Oh, and we eat dinner at my parents once a week, so I don't have to pay for that meal most of the time, although we are still eating the $150 worth of meat I bought at the commissary before my mil ID expired (it was food savered and is still good, I promise) for those meals. Shopping at Aldi can be *very* helpful for saving money. Milk was $1.69 a gallon 2 weeks ago and $1.79 a gallon last week. I usually price out the ads for Kroger, JayC and Marsh, then go to Aldi to get anything that is cheaper there. I'm not averse to going to 3 stores in a shopping trip, because my 3 kids are hanging out with my parents (usually the girls are getting baths and DS is watching TV because we don't watch TV at home and only have a shower; the girls like baths more than TV and vice versa for DS :lol:).

Breakfasts are bagels, oatmeal, waffles or cereal usually. Most of the cooked breakfast stuff (pancakes, eggs, biscuits/gravy, hashbrowns, etc) I save for dinners. Lunches are leftovers, canned soups or pastas, sandwiches (usually pb&j but sometimes ham), oatmeal (these are some oatmeal crazy kids), grilled cheese, whatever weirdness the kids think up. We mostly do frozen or canned veggies and fruits, but I get carrots and tomatoes most weeks as well as bananas and apples (and oranges/tangerines right now). My parents usually also have grapes that my 3yo thinks are just about the best thing ever (she ranks grapes higher than ice cream, but lower than popsicles ;)). They also usually have a bedtime snack (frequently pb&j or, again, oatmeal).

My last 2 weeks and this weeks meal plans for dinners, we have veggies at least 3 times a day (usually 2 at dinner) and fruit at least twice:

Mondays: mock olive garden chicken con broccoli, BLTs, mock OG CCB

Tuesdays: leftovers, burritos, burritos

Wednesdays: burritos (the kids love this, I swear), spaghetti (meatless), M&Ds

Thursday: M&Ds, BFD (breakfast for dinner, this one was pancakes/bacon), potato soup or veggie soup (depending on if I feel like pulling a roast out of the freezer or not)

Friday: supposed to be spaghetti (meatless) but DS made grilled cheese because I was sick :001_wub:, M&Ds, Smoky links & mac-n-cheese

Saturday: BFD (biscuits/gravy, hash browns, eggs), leftovers, kids gone (leftovers for me)

Sunday: smoky links & mac-n-cheese, leftovers, kids gone (leftovers for me)

I have to say that I am *incredibly* blessed. I don't *have* to spend so little on food because I don't have any money. I just *need* to so I can pay off all my credit card debt. If I can stick to my budget, then when my unemployment runs out (and yes, I do really job hunt) I should to be able to have enough debt paid off to live off my VA disability and child support (and, I'm also very blessed to have an XH who really does pay his child support) and still be at home with my kids. If someone does hire me (big fat chance around here, especially since I do have some issues that get me the VA disability), I have lots of friends that homeschool that may be able to homeschool my kids for me, or my parents may be able to. I'll wait to cross that bridge if/when I come to it. If I find an awesome deal on something (can we say $1.48 a lb rump roast?), I can borrow a little from another weeks grocery budget (or, gasp, even borrow a little from my debt snowball...or sell some books, etc). K, this novel is done for now :lol:

PS I have a picture of a grocery trip of mine in the blog area of livinglikenooneelse.com from back when I gave myself $55 a week for groceries, I'm also mbeaser there.

I am DawnW on there! W is my maiden name and M for my married! :)

Dawn

PS I have a picture of a grocery trip of mine in the blog area of livinglikenooneelse.com from back when I gave myself $55 a week for groceries, I'm also mbeaser there.

I coupon alot. I use savvydollar.org to match up my coupons and grocery deals, people also post lots of great freebies. Some people use the grocery game but you have to pay for that. I have gotten full size boxes of mash potatoes, batteries and more for free signing up for free deals on websites. I also read Sue Stocks blog she is a local reporter who has coupon deals, and retail deals. I also go to Faye Prossers site she wrote the Smart Spending Resources guide she teaches workshops in NC. I get really goodbuys at Thrift Stores. I always shop end of season sales for next years clothes for my children. One of my friends says that I dress all three of my children for what it cost her for her one child. I resale my children's clothes and toys they have outgrown or don't play with on eBay to pay for their new clothes, and toys. I also sell for other people and for some local business who want to reduce their excess inventory occasionally. We don't go out to eat maybe once or twice a month a most. I have called my Satellite company to cancel and they gave me $300 credit with no contract, I just had to keep their service for three months which more than paid the credit plus three more months of service. This is the one thing my husband won;t budge on he loves his satellite and watching TV once the children go to bed. I moved my cell-phone plan down. I have start to re-evaluate my life and my things, I have donated alot of unnecessary items, and sold some to pay down our debt. We have done the Financial Peace University and we are still working it. Susan:001_smile:

Thanks for starting this thread.

Could you tell me a little more about cleaning with baking soda and vinegar? Do I put baking soda on the counter and the spray on vinegar and wipe? My kitchen counter/eating bar gets dirty and sticky so fast.

For us, the challenge is finding somewhere to go to burn off energy in the winter without spending a lot of money. We are outside when the temperature is above 0 but there are quite a few days here in Minnesota where it is colder than that. The house is too small to stay inside all day so we find ourselves at the playland at the mall or McDonalds and spending money while there.

For an all purpose cleaner i use vinegar and water (half and half) in a regular .99 spray bottle. this is great on getting sticky gooey toddler stuff off counters and doing a regular clean in the bathrooms. however dd recently got bath crayons and markers on the wall and during a bout of laziness i just got around to cleaning it after a week so i need to get some heavier cleaner. toilets...baking soda in first...usually 1/3 of a cup but i just eyeball it...and then pour in vinegar till it gets nice and foamy and scrub around and voila sparkling toilet. for really dried on sticky stuff i mix some baking soda and water together to make a paste and using a sponge or a grippy dish cloth and it gets it up pretty good. the only thing about using the vinegar is it kinda makes your house smell like a d*uche which isn't great but definitely it's better because dd can climb on a chair and help me right after they are clean

eta: i thought i would post about my grocery budget too... we used to spend upwards of around $200-$250 for me, dh and a early toddler who wasnt' eating that much yet. a lot of this was fresh veggies and snack items (popcorn, chips, ice cream, popsicles, etc) and convenience foods (pre-shredded cheese, 100 calorie packs, etc). I have dropped our grocery budget down to $100/week when dh is home (he goes out about 2-3 months at a time every few months). i usually stay below this.

my grocery store 1. does NOT double coupons, none of the stores around me do. I have limited options for close stores, i have two albertson's stores near me and a safeway and/or fred meyer about 15 miles from me so albertson's is usually where i shop due to convenience. Alberston's won't double coupons but i always get awesome coupons from the register printout, i look for deals on things like ice cream and frozen vegetables (can't do canned, it tastes funny to me it's one thing i won't compromise on), and have cut down our fresh produce bill drastically...i used to be spending close to $75 on produce alone.

my usual grocery trip looks like this: 1 gallon skim milk (middle brand so around $2.50), 1 gallon silk chocolate soy milk (only milk dd will drink and she has a cup a day so a gallon gets us through 1.5-2 weeks and i drink it sometimes to), about 2 lbs of bananas, 2 lbs of apples, lettuce (this i go prepackaged romaine hearts), sometimes red or green bell peppers (we do a lot of stir fry), a few lbs of block cheese (usually monterrey jack or cheddar--i get the big 4 lb tillamook chunks for usually about $9/block)

every two weeks i restock: pasta, rice, cheese, soy milk (as previously stated depending on who is drinking it), frozen vegetables, some canned (mainly corn), potatoes, eggs (i go cage free or organic due to our preference), snacks for dd like popcorn (switching to kernel style instead of pre flavored bags), some meats...like big bags of frozen chicken breasts, chicken nuggets for little miss, etc

i have cut down from a significant chunk of our paycheck going into the grocery store to around $75 on a regular basis. I do have a general rule that if I stay below my budget I allow myself a Starbucks drink (I am majorly addicted).

Edited by jillian

I am DawnW on there! W is my maiden name and M for my married! :)

Dawn

lol, I thought you seemed "familiar" but the different initial was throwing me off :001_smile:

Oh, and some website I enjoy are http://www.moneysavingmom.com and http://www.5dollardinner.com

I don't really coupon, so I don't get as much as others might from moneysavingmom, but I've used several recipes from 5dollardinner. I'm anxiously waiting for my next grocery infusion so I can get enough sour cream to make some sour cream chicken enchiladas :D