Menu

My dh, 47, wants to improve his core strength and flexibility.

Hmm....Are there any Pilates DVDs for men? Something else that might be worth looking into are Kettle Bells, though I don't remember if the focus is on the core. (Maybe something by Pavel? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pavel&x=0&y=0 I checked out a book of his for women from the library and found it useful, though somewhat hype-y.) Pilates is the first thing that came to mind. My Dad (in his 50s) started taking Yoga classes at his gym in recent years, and is now more flexible than he's been in a long time (maybe ever). Don't know how much that helps core strength, though.

I would suggest that, in addition to some core strengthening routines, he concentrate pretty hard on posture during his walks. He should suck in his stomach but still breathe deeply. This will strengthen his stomach muscles to some extent. He should have his shoulders back but relaxed, and swing his arms while he is walking. He shouldn't thrust his head forward.

Then he can just start with crunches when he gets home--he will be all warmed up so it's the perfect time to do them.

After he's done this for a couple of weeks he could add in a good video with a core routine.

Also does he swim? If he swims once or twice a week, that strengthens his core a lot more than walking.

Hmm....Are there any Pilates DVDs for men? Something else that might be worth looking into are Kettle Bells, though I don't remember if the focus is on the core. (Maybe something by Pavel? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pavel&x=0&y=0 I checked out a book of his for women from the library and found it useful, though somewhat hype-y.) Pilates is the first thing that came to mind. My Dad (in his 50s) started taking Yoga classes at his gym in recent years, and is now more flexible than he's been in a long time (maybe ever). Don't know how much that helps core strength, though.

I'll go to my library and check out their dvd selection. Thanks for the suggestions.

I would suggest that, in addition to some core strengthening routines, he concentrate pretty hard on posture during his walks. He should suck in his stomach but still breathe deeply. This will strengthen his stomach muscles to some extent. He should have his shoulders back but relaxed, and swing his arms while he is walking. He shouldn't thrust his head forward.

Then he can just start with crunches when he gets home--he will be all warmed up so it's the perfect time to do them.

After he's done this for a couple of weeks he could add in a good video with a core routine.

Also does he swim? If he swims once or twice a week, that strengthens his core a lot more than walking.

Yes swimming would be a good idea but it's not going to happen. We did start today with a stretching, strengthening routine I use from my abs workout book. It's a start.

Thanks for your ideas.

How long have you done this? (I'm interested for myself as well as dh.)

We've been doing it for around a year now. I don't get bored with it since there are several workouts to choose from. I go through cycles of liking one best, then switch. It's great for my ADD personality! ;)