Menu

What kind of records do you keep for your high school student?

I live in Illinois so we are not "required" to keep specific records or grades. I think that it is a good idea for my 9th grader in case we were to move to a different state that required records and also from a college standpoint. We are planning on sending her back to school next year if she is well but just in case I want to be sure to keep the proper records. I plan on keeping test grades and a list of textbooks used but I'm not sure what I would need besides that.

Other things people keep track of:

Reading lists

Course descriptions

Hours logged in each course

Work done each day

Medical and dental records

Physical education hours

Extra curricular activities

Jobs

I keep notebooks of my children's work. I write everything they do and read in a notebook so I can divide it up into courses later. I try to write course descriptions for things that are definately finished (like a year of math or a year of language). I write progress reports and my town is now requiring work samples.

For college admission purposes, definitely keep track of both paid work and volunteer experiences. (Applications will often ask for number of hours worked or volunteered per week/month/year.) Keep track of all volunteer experiences (i.e., your child might volunteer at the public library two hours per week and might also do a week long project or a one time project such as skating for a Toys for Tots production ... all of these count). If your child performs, keep copies of each program. If your child is in a newspaper article (unless it's because he/she broke the law!), keep a copy.

Keep copies of all papers written (one of these might spark an idea for an application essay). Keep samplings of science labs, foreign language tests, etc. A couple of the colleges my daughter applied to required a portfolio of work to be submitted. Keep copies of all awards that your child might win.

Regards,

Kareni

For college admission purposes, definitely keep track of both paid work and volunteer experiences. (Applications will often ask for number of hours worked or volunteered per week/month/year.) Keep track of all volunteer experiences (i.e., your child might volunteer at the public library two hours per week and might also do a week long project or a one time project such as skating for a Toys for Tots production ... all of these count). If your child performs, keep copies of each program. If your child is in a newspaper article (unless it's because he/she broke the law!), keep a copy.

Keep copies of all papers written (one of these might spark an idea for an application essay). Keep samplings of science labs, foreign language tests, etc. A couple of the colleges my daughter applied to required a portfolio of work to be submitted. Keep copies of all awards that your child might win.

Regards,

Kareni

Karen these are great ideas but right now I'm just trying to keep my daughter's head above water as far as schooling is concerned. She has such severe insomnia and other neurological related issues that I'm just trying to do the basics with her. At this point she usually has a limited window during the day where she has the stamina for schoolwork. She will only be getting 5 credits this year for school so we will be concentrating on that. Unfortunately right now volunteer work, jobs or most other outside activities are out of the question.

I hope this is enough: I plan on keeping a records of all the textbooks she used, perhaps copying the table of contents. We will also keep a list of all the books she read. I plan on keeping copies of tests and her overall grade for the class. Right now she is only doing very simple writing. She is taking an online class, that is really probably below grade level but I thought it would be good just to keep her writing ability going. Actually this year as a freshman they don't do a lot of writing. She will do more of that sophomore year and if she is still home then I will be sure to keep writing samples. Is there anything else I am missing that I should be sure to keep records of?