Menu

Best Geometry Program (for good math student)??

What say you?? Suggestions, please?

This is for next year for my dd13 (then 8th grade).

She's great at math, but she likes to be right all the time and is accustomed to things coming easily to her. (We're doing AoPS for the first time this spring, so we might fix that, lol.) Thinkwell has been a good fit for her, but they don't offer Geometry. . .

Things I'm considering. . .

AoPS's Geometry (with or without the online course)

LoF Geometry

* If I go with AoPS Geometry, we might take an extra 6 mos to do Number Theory first, just for fun and to fill time (no rushing needed here). . . presuming dd likes AoPS which I would assume would have to be the case if we were to choose AoPS Geometry after taking AoPS Counting & Probability!!

I am not a Saxon fan.

What else should I investigate?? Am I missing sth great?

I am looking for sth solid, rigorous, challenging. Well presented (ideally with a DVD or online like TW, but I haven't seen anything like that).

Her math background includes:

Miquon & Singapore for primary math

Key To Alg (first few books)

Thinkwell Intermediate Alg (finishing in early Feb; A student)

This spring, we'll be using Art of Problem Solving Counting & Probability.

TIA!!!!!

You might consider Videotext Geometry. It is well presented, on DVD, and we've generally been pleased with it (we also did Videotext Algebra.) My dd14 is starting VT Geometry this year.

Currently, only modules A-E are available (they've had a lot of production delays with D-F) but after module D, you can easily switch into a Precalculus course to pick up trig and the rest. This is what we did with my ds a couple of years agao (at that time, E and F were not available, and we even had to do D using pre-production materials). You might wish to go to a precalculus course at that point anyway, to pick up the rest of the algebra concepts that precalculus covers.

It would make for a challenging and rigorous course to get through modules A-D in one year, though. My son did A-C in one year, then D in the fall, followed by Precalculus, but he was easily able to complete the Precalculus in the remaining portion of that year so it wasn't a problem.

HTH, and good luck in your search!

We are doing Geometry this year.....our least favorite math....

We started with Chalkdust Traditional (different than what Cynthia above used), it didn't go well. There was not enough explanation for dd. IMHO Chalkdust is great for kids who can fill in the gaps themselves and get things pretty quickly, which doesn't describe either of my kids....

I have switched to BJU Geometry with the rented dvds. DD loves it. There is a lot of explanation, but she says while the teacher explains (and explains), she is thinking and then gets it.

I have used both 2nd and 3rd editions of Jacobs Geometry. I prefer the 3rd. It does have proofs, but it isn't as monstrously proof-heavy as the 2nd. I like the way that 3rd edition steps you through a lot more.

I used 2nd with my oldest. I plan to teach a hs geometry class, but figured that 2nd edition could become difficult to find, so I bought 3rd edition for my middle dd. I like it better.

I have used both 2nd and 3rd editions of Jacobs Geometry. I prefer the 3rd. It does have proofs, but it isn't as monstrously proof-heavy as the 2nd. I like the way that 3rd edition steps you through a lot more.

I used 2nd with my oldest. I plan to teach a hs geometry class, but figured that 2nd edition could become difficult to find, so I bought 3rd edition for my middle dd. I like it better.

Thanks for the info, Angie. At this point, I'm planning to use Jacobs 3rd, the newest, which is what MFW uses, including lesson plans. I didn't use Jacobs with my older dd, so I like finding out about it.

Julie

LOF Geometry wasn't a hit around here although the algebra books are. My 8th grader is really enjoying AoPS Geometry. If I had known of the AoPS books earlier, I would have probably used the series for all the boys except #3 (who is a different learner altogether). AoPS seems to be a bit of a game to ds#4. It challenges him - which suits his very competitive personality.

We weren't overly thrilled with Chalkdust either. Ds#2 didn't like to watch the dvds - he perfers to use just the book. He ended up using Jacobs which was fine - nothing to gleefully squeal about, though.

Of everything we've used, my favorites are: AoPS Geometry and NEM (Singapore's program)

My 8th grader is really enjoying AoPS Geometry. If I had known of the AoPS books earlier, I would have probably used the series for all the boys except #3 (who is a different learner altogether). AoPS seems to be a bit of a game to ds#4. It challenges him - which suits his very competitive personality.

You can't beat AoPS materials for math-bright kids.

We haven't used their geometry - it was published after my kids took that course (using a combo of Jacobs and NEM) - but we have used tons of their materials and classes over the last seven years. AoPS gives kids hard problems and makes them turn on their brains. For kids who want a challenge, I've found nothing better.

~Kathy

I am happy to hear from some who've used AOPS Geometry. I think I will see how AOPS Counting & Probability goes and so long as it goes smoothly, have her go into AOPS Geometry next (possibly after Number Theory). It sure sounds like a superior program, and I am so glad to hear some feedback on it.

Thanks all. I have bookmarked a lot of stuff. I really appreciate your time!

Did you use AoPS's probability or number theory classes at all? Would any of those due for a year of "statistics" or other upper math, as a possible alternative to calculus in high school?

Julie

I would imagine that the Counting & Probability is as close to stats as I see in their texts. I haven't seen it yet (it's en route!), but you could look at the ToC, etc on their website to see it and compare. Not traditional stats, for sure, but a nice foundation and probably more rigorous than most non-calc stats classes (which tend towards very easy, IME)

I would imagine that the Counting & Probability is as close to stats as I see in their texts. I haven't seen it yet (it's en route!), but you could look at the ToC, etc on their website to see it and compare. Not traditional stats, for sure, but a nice foundation and probably more rigorous than most non-calc stats classes (which tend towards very easy, IME)

Thanks for the info. I'm just thinking way ahead to post-Algebra II for my capable-but-not-motivated youngest child.

Julie

Strange - I had posted a reply, but cannot find it now. It must be lost somewhere in cyberspace. Anyway, I do have the Counting and Probability text and have spent some time with it myself. I really enjoy it. I will probably use it post-Algebra 2 because we won't start Trig/precalc until ds#4 can take concurrent courses (11th). This will be a good filler. From what I can see, I think it could easily count as an "intro" statistics. I would need to compare the table of contents of various statistics texts to see the best way to transcript the course.

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to jump in here and say that my dd has taken the Number Theory course from AOPS and in is the middle of the Geometry class and has especially enjoyed the interactive classes. There is a terrific amt. of feedback, teachers are constantly available to answer e-mail questions promptly, and there are discussion forums so the kids can puzzle things out together. We've been pleased and consider it money well spent.

YMMV....

Jen in NY

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to jump in here and say that my dd has taken the Number Theory course from AOPS and in is the middle of the Geometry class and has especially enjoyed the interactive classes. There is a terrific amt. of feedback, teachers are constantly available to answer e-mail questions promptly, and there are discussion forums so the kids can puzzle things out together. We've been pleased and consider it money well spent.

YMMV....

Jen in NY

How do you feel about the pacing of the classes? My friend who's son has also taken the classes has loved them, and I would def consider it for dd. I decided against the Counting & Prob class (and just using the book) for this spring b/c dd has been working really hard on math the last several months to crank through her current class and I wanted a more leisurely no-pressure pace for a spell. I plan on taking it nice and easy. . . doing it over 5-6 months just so we can relax and enjoy the math together.

However, come fall, we could crank the pace back up w/ Geom if the benefits of the class merit it. . . I'd expect to take a full 9-10 mos for Geom if we did it our own. . .

So, anyway, how many hours/week does your child spend doing the AoPS Geometry? If I remember right, it is over 24 weeks. . . So, I had thought that might be a bit intense (compared to maybe 36-40 weeks typical). . . But, then again, the benefit of having co-students and a the online class/tutorials might SAVE enough time (b/c of superior instruction compared to me, lol) that maybe it wouldn't actually take MORE time each week to do the course?

Do you have a feel for how much time other students spending? 5-6 hours a week is to be expected, but I'd hesitate if it was more like 8-10. (Of course I know is very variable child to child. . .)

What do you think about the pace of the course(s)? Have you used any of the books w/o the course? Did you feel the course helped move faster d/t efficiency/teaching helps?

Dd loves LoF Geometry. Draconian mother that I am, I make her do it with something old as a supplement, but she's also doing it in gr 9/freshman year. Sooner or later she, like my dd, is going to have to learn to not always be right :).

LoF is basically plane geometry with one chapter on some other geometry (can't think of it off the top of my head.) It does 2 column proofs. The only thing I don't like about it (and I can always find something I don't like about a math book!) is that it lets them write "algebra" instead of naming the algebra postulate as a reason. This was fixed by our using another book. I'm also going to make dd write a few paragraph proofs, but she is planning to go into science or math when she's done high school. I might make all my dc do that, though, just because it's a great way to learn logic.

LoF is reasonably priced & Polka Dot Publishing gives free shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure which I'll use or if I'll have DS obtain his geometry skills by working through NEM 2 & 3, just like his older brother did.

Carole

Of everything we've used, my favorites are: AoPS Geometry and NEM (Singapore's program)

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have a couple of questions about Singapore's geometry.

1. How much of the NEM series would be needed for 1 geometry credit? I see that NEM-1 is almost half geometry, but of course it's not complete. I'm assuming the other topics are somewhere in NEM-2 through 4 (such as graph plotting)?

2. Do any of the Singapore upper maths do geometry proofs?

Julie

How does Harold Jacob's Geometry comp to Dolciani's?

We are using the 1969 Dolciani but I'm having a hard time locating the Solutions key to go with it. Not much to abandon if switch to Jacob's Geo since the text I found was dirt cheap and only one plus week into it so far.

DS was/is doing Jacob's Algebra along with S'pore Discovering Mathematics 2A but was finding Jacob's Algebra as a waste of time. He would mindfully do the work assigned but I could see his heart was not into it. Loves Dolciani.

Thanks.

Dr Burger (Thinkwell) is the main author of the 2007 edition of Holt Geometry. He also made the online videos to go with the homework support.

The Holt text is great in the concepts it teaches---but the layout is VERY VERY busy. What makes the program 'great' to me is the teacher support and the 'worksheets' in the teacher materials (not the TE). The problem is that this support set normally runs around $400. Amazon has a few copies being sold for only $40. I purchased one (called One Step Planner) as I am planning on using this program with my online classes next year. I'm currently using the worksheets to supplement my Jacobs 3e classes. The One Step Planner has TONS of teaching aids including but not limited to the TE, re-teaching and extra practice worksheets (and answers), tests and test generator, lesson plans, powerpoint slides....I will just purchase a student text for myself when I want to work/plan off of the computer. Student texts run $70-90

There are 'codes' in the student text (and TE) that correspond to each example in the text. Students needing more help go to http://www.thinkcentral.com and enter the code at the bottom left of the page then click on the problem type they want to watch Dr Burger's video clip of. For a video sample go to www.thinkcentral.com and type in the code MG7 4-2

Julie, I'm pretty sure that we did through NEM 4A with ds (it seems ages ago) but I think the geometry is finished in 3B. But we only did the geometry sections through 3A, I believe. I know it sounds convoluted, but we were moving into concurrent courses so he needed to finish through 4A quickly. We simply skipped the geometry sections of 3B and 4A so that he could finish more quickly. He had worked through The Teaching Company's geometry course as well so we called it "done".

Singapore doesn't do the formal 2 column type of proofs. It does teach the proof points, but just doesn't set it out in that format.

HTH

Julie, I'm pretty sure that we did through NEM 4A with ds (it seems ages ago) but I think the geometry is finished in 3B. But we only did the geometry sections through 3A, I believe. I know it sounds convoluted, but we were moving into concurrent courses so he needed to finish through 4A quickly. We simply skipped the geometry sections of 3B and 4A so that he could finish more quickly. He had worked through The Teaching Company's geometry course as well so we called it "done".

Singapore doesn't do the formal 2 column type of proofs. It does teach the proof points, but just doesn't set it out in that format.

HTH

Thanks, Cynthia, that helps. Just looking around at various options for next year.

Julie

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have a couple of questions about Singapore's geometry.

1. How much of the NEM series would be needed for 1 geometry credit? I see that NEM-1 is almost half geometry, but of course it's not complete. I'm assuming the other topics are somewhere in NEM-2 through 4 (such as graph plotting)?

2. Do any of the Singapore upper maths do geometry proofs?

Julie

We did NEM 1, 2 and 3. One weekend I reviewed several high school geometry programs to the topics covered in Singapore NEM 1-3 and found really just one glaring difference---proofs. NEM does not cover 2-column proofs. It didn't concern me. My kids do 2 years of logic with proofs and Dociani math, which we used for Alg and Alg 2 cover proofs. DS never struggles with geometry concepts either. He also scored nearly perfect on the SAT math test.

I can't speak for the other Singapore math programs.

Carole