Menu

s/o favorite books: The Hunger Games

Susan,

I picked this up on the rec. on the board and my 2 teens and I loved it.

My son stayed up til 4 am one night this summer to finish it. I was torn between total understanding and frustration. We had been working on getting him on "normal" sleep schedule then he did that! But it was for an exciting book and I have done that myself.

I've got to read the 2nd book.

Have fun!

Whoever listed this as one of their top 3 books - THANK YOU! I picked it up the other day at work and could *not* put it down. An amazing read (crazy, but amazing)!

Just got Catching Fire and I'm snuggling down in bed with it now. :D

My 13yodd has read it at least three times, while waiting for Catching Fire to come. Then, she read both of them again!

Whoever listed this as one of their top 3 books - THANK YOU! I picked it up the other day at work and could *not* put it down. An amazing read (crazy, but amazing)!

Just got Catching Fire and I'm snuggling down in bed with it now. :D

We loved Hunger Games too. That book went through my house FAST!! Thanks to whoever recommended it. We read catching Fire too. Can't wait for the sequel which is due out in August.

~~Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

This sounds very interesting but like it could be disturbing. (This would be for me, not dc.) I'm trying to avoid upsetting themes right now. Is it traumatic, or not too bad?

I only have hearsay. This book was the last one assigned in my dd11's homeschool literature class. She started reading it and got very upset when she learned what was happening. The teacher was very sympathetic given my daughter's age, and we kept her out of the class until that discussion was over. I didn't even want to read it. It sounds quite disturbing to me and yet I continue to see great reviews. There were a couple of Amazon.com reviews that said younger children might not like it. My daughter reads some fairly mature stuff, but she cannot stomach disturbing or horror type material. We couldn't register her for the next semester of middle school literature because of the themes of the books. I put her in the elementary lit class instead.

This sounds very interesting but like it could be disturbing. (This would be for me, not dc.) I'm trying to avoid upsetting themes right now. Is it traumatic, or not too bad?

Avoid it.

It is about a dystopia with a fight to the death among teenage contestants. (Kinda like the kids sacrificed to the Minotaur in ancient mythology.)