Menu

Best way for 17 year old son to learn music fundamentals/

My 17 year old son would like to learn music fundamentals. What are some ways he could do this? He has had one semester of piano and voice lessons at community college, but won't be taking them in the spring. He plays the banjo, and that is the extent of his musical training.

Is out-sourcing possible where you are? Maybe ask around at your place of worship (if you have one, or know someone who does), or your local hs email list for good music instructors? Does the teacher he had at the CC do private lessons at the CC? Is there a respected music/instrument shop in town with leads?

Edited by LibraryLover

He could take a music theory or music composition class.

My kids started with piano as littles & branched out from there.

I took music theory 101 in college and loved it! You learn a lot! I appreciate music so much more now that I know some of the details of how music is put together.

Homeschoolers cannot take classes at public schools in our state. I am looking into my son taking a community college class in music fundamentals. However, the college he already takes classes at uses a book that got reviews that said it was confusing and too advanced for beginners. I thought maybe he could take music fundamentals somewhere else besides community college so it wouldn't have to be a hard college course. He is not going to be a music major, so I would rather it be a fun learning experience, not something he has to sweat over and worry about his grade.

If he wants to work independently on a beginner level, he can use music theory books like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Complete/dp/0882848976/ref=pd_sim_b_40

Piano students (and other instrument/music students) often use them in conjunction with learning to play their instruments, but they can be used alone too.

If you have a music store (that sells instruments, sheet music, etc.--not a cd store) nearby, you could also stop by and ask what they might have. Ask for a beginner music theory book or series.

See? This place rocks.

If he wants to work independently on a beginner level, he can use music theory books like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Complete/dp/0882848976/ref=pd_sim_b_40

Piano students (and other instrument/music students) often use them in conjunction with learning to play their instruments, but they can be used alone too.

If you have a music store (that sells instruments, sheet music, etc.--not a cd store) nearby, you could also stop by and ask what they might have. Ask for a beginner music theory book or series.

Thanks Ladies. Since posting a little bit ago, I went down the list of books used by each section of the music fundamentals class and found a teacher that uses Alfred's Essentials, which seems to be a good curriculum. So we will probably go with that. You ladeis are great - I so appreciate the helpful advice.