Menu

Going G/F with food allergies need book help

and haven't read any books. All my info has come from the internet. Gluten Free Goddess and Gluten Free Girl are two that I can remember off the top of my head. There is a gluten free forum that I've never gone to directly, but every time I google "is such-and-such gluten free" it comes up. Also I google lots of ingredients whose sources are unknown to me, because I have found that gluten can be present in many food ingredients, although a label doesn't specify wheat, barley, or rye.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Just PM me.

Also, I'm pretty diligent about my gluten free diet. Therefore, if I'm unsure, I don't eat something. I wish I would have known about this a long time ago; it has been so worth it!

Edited by Hikin' Mama

i have been surfing the web and am getting more and more overwhelmed

My husband and I both are going to go g/f with her however she is also dairy free soy free nut free egg free and cinnamon free. She has terrible stomach pain and has been tested for celiac biospy and that came out neg. but they have no explaination for her pain and so this is the next step as I dont know what else to do.

Any and all ideas tips are very welcomed

i have been surfing the web and am getting more and more overwhelmed

My husband and I both are going to go g/f with her however she is also dairy free soy free nut free egg free and cinnamon free. She has terrible stomach pain and has been tested for celiac biospy and that came out neg. but they have no explaination for her pain and so this is the next step as I dont know what else to do.

Any and all ideas tips are very welcomed

I'm so sorry! That's a long list! My daughter is wheat free, corn free, and tree nut free so I feel your pain.

We've kind of been on a forced atkins type diet b/c it's hard to find what to eat. She can have rice crackers and potatos and beans for starch. She doesn't like the texture of rice or quinoa so we're out of luck on those.

Ehlana's Pantry has a good recipe for purple velvet cake made out of beets and agave nectar if you are looking for a good dessert.

The hardest part is finding your "go to" meals. Like "what's for lunch?" EnerG makes a pizza crust that is dairy and wheat free- I think it's just rice. You can load it with sauce and veggies instead of cheese.

ALSO- be careful about corn. If she is suffering from allergies she can easily develop that one if you overdo it, and SO many gluten free recipes call for corn. Just a tip- my daughter developed a corn allergy 2 years after she was diagnosed with wheat. Oh, her tree nuts came then too b/c I kept relying on nuts for protein.

I've used many of the resources mentioned previously. I like using the gluten free goddess and girl websites listed. I also like Bette Hagman's books. As for premade mixes, I like the spice cake from Namaste and the new cake mixes from Betty Crocker. Some of Bob's premade mixes contain bean flours which have a strong and overpowering taste. I will use them sparingly and never for a sweeter baked item. The Hagman books have recipes for flour mixes that work very well for baked items. I've created my own blends for different recipes. Some of my favorite flours for baking are teff, sorghum, millet, and coconut. It takes time, patience and practice but it's been worth it for our family's well-being.

For advice on switching, I recommend no immediate replacements. If your daughter loves bread, crackers, or anything loaded with gluten, try to take it completely out of her diet for about six weeks before replacing it with a gf version. The gluten free products are good, and I prefer them some of them over their gluten counterparts but the taste and texture is different enough that a younger child may complain if switched immediately. It's best to start from as clean of a slate as possible.

ETA: You may also want to see if your library has Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis. It was a good one for getting started, and recipes are adaptable for many different sensitivities.

Edited by Stacie

I'm so sorry! That's a long list! My daughter is wheat free' date=' corn free, and tree nut free so I feel your pain.

We've kind of been on a forced atkins type diet b/c it's hard to find what to eat. She can have rice crackers and potatos and beans for starch. She doesn't like the texture of rice or quinoa so we're out of luck on those. [/quote']Bob's Red Mill has many GF flours including millet, sorghum, tapioca... and they have good recipes using those.

I also ordered some exotic flours like white sweet potato (tastes like peanut butter) when we were desperate.

I also found that while DD could not have wheat or oatmeal, she was allergic to those specific grains, not gluten sensitive. I was able to make very good breads and dinner roles from white rye (it doesn't taste like rye, that taste is purposely added by fermenting) and barley flours.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I'm also going GF in a few days. I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis and a bunch of adult-onset food allergies, and am hoping this helps a bit.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the best source of gluten-free flours? I can't do Bob's Red Mill b/c I have dairy, egg & onion allergies and some of his stuff has potential for cross-contamination.

When my dd was diagnosed with celiac disease, I bought this book and found it helpful. Anything by Danna Korn is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Celiac-Disease-Gluten-Free-Children/dp/1890627216/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262113926&sr=8-3'>http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Celiac-Disease-Gluten-Free-Children/dp/1890627216/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262113926&sr=8-3

You didn't say how old your dd is, but this is a good book for kids to help them deal with being different from their friends. It helps them to see that being different is not bad, it's what they have to do to be healthy.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Celiac-Disease-Gluten-Free-Children/dp/1890627216/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262113926&sr=8-3

My favorite pre-made mixes are from Pamela's.

I buy them from Amazon in large bags and make our own bread and things from them.

Can't reccomend them highly enough.

We get the baking mix and the bread flour mix without the yeast added.

If she's dairy free as indicated she'll have to stay away from many of Pamela's baking mixes, which contain milk products. They taste great but due to extensive allergies here I've decided it's worth my time and effort to make large batches of baking mixes myself. I must strongly avoid cross-contamination.

Another great bk for going GF is the Gluten Free Bible by Jax Peters Lowell.

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Bible-Thoroughly-Indispensable-Negotiating/dp/0805077464

She is a hoot, and we got to take a kids cooking class with her at Harry's (Whole Foods) a few years back.

Like others have said, there is a ton of info for free on the web, also join a support group. I know the D. Korn bk has some listings. Here is a link with info.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/563/1/ROCK-Raising-Our-Celiac-Kids---National-Celiac-Disease-Support-Group/Page1.html