Menu

Coupon books or other fund-raising ideas

We're looking for some fundraising ideas. Does anyone know if there's currently a good coupon book (one that pays for itself easily if possible)?

I found this one:

https://www. enjoythecitybook .com/default. aspx

It sells for $20 and has a free Papa John's pizza and lots of B1G1F coupons. I didn't study it over to see what else might be a good deal.

We once sold one that was spiral-bound. It had two free oil changes in it and cost only $25. That sold very well! But I can't remember the name of the company. I think each city has different coupons, but I would like to get a list of several companies and compare.

Other ideas on raising money as a family to get dd to a youth gathering would be appreciated, too. The youth group ideas aren't raising much money and we want to do something on our own.

TIA

Or one of the Higher Things ones in Logan, Utah or Tennessee?

For your youth group, Family Pastimes is a very generous supporter of fund raisers for non-profits. I don't think they would do this for a single family, though, even if it were the same basic cause. Check their website. I don't know whether you're familiar with them, but they develop and sell cooperative, rather than competitive, board games at various levels. I really like their games a lot.

Or one of the Higher Things ones in Logan, Utah or Tennessee?

For your youth group, Family Pastimes is a very generous supporter of fund raisers for non-profits. I don't think they would do this for a single family, though, even if it were the same basic cause. Check their website. I don't know whether you're familiar with them, but they develop and sell cooperative, rather than competitive, board games at various levels. I really like their games a lot.

NO. I will check out Family Pastimes. Thanks, Carol!

If only we had more time and energy, we might be able to create our own whatevers to sell. I think even buying candy bars at Sam's Club and selling them for $1 at co-op might add up.

A few years ago, I did a Tupperware fundraiser for our family. You can do it as a one-time thing with no shows or anything like that (unless you want to do a show). When I did it, we had a choice between a catalog with higher prices (and we'd get 50%), or a catalog with lower prices (and we'd get 30%). I think we did it for about a month, and did pretty well. We received the check quickly. I got all of the information from their website.

Have you spread the word that you are trying to raise money for this trip? Honestly, I would much rather hire her as a helper for a few hours (she could fold towels and help entertain the toddler while I did deeper cleaning somewhere) or just donate money instead of buying something. I would be more generous that way. Or I would be willing to donate items for her to have a yard sale. Those seem to be good fund raisers here, especially if they are advertised as such.

How much is she trying to raise?

In our area, the community discount card is a good fundraiser. The local guy that arranges it typically books different groups for different sales periods, so you have to get on his calendar. The group gets half the profit ($5 per card).

Mother's afternoon out is always a good winter fundraiser..people drop off elementary age for a Sat. afternoon $10 donation. Teens have organized activity stations around a gym and group usually rents a bounce house as one of the stations. A mom that's a nurse is the first aid provider and adult on duty.

If she or her friends can lifeguard, a pool party for local youth is a possibility. Some can run concessions too.

How much is she trying to raise?

In our area, the community discount card is a good fundraiser. The local guy that arranges it typically books different groups for different sales periods, so you have to get on his calendar. The group gets half the profit ($5 per card).

Mother's afternoon out is always a good winter fundraiser..people drop off elementary age for a Sat. afternoon $10 donation. Teens have organized activity stations around a gym and group usually rents a bounce house as one of the stations. A mom that's a nurse is the first aid provider and adult on duty.

If she or her friends can lifeguard, a pool party for local youth is a possibility. Some can run concessions too.

How would one go about finding who does up the discount cards? I think the hs band sold some. I guess I could call the public high school.

Our church did sit down dinners to raise money. There were a couple of gifted cooks who would supervise. One trip was pasta/Italian themed. The folks going on the trip did the table waiting and did a small presentation. There were also envelopes on the table for donations. We bought tickets for the dinner, which were reasonably priced. I think that the group raised a couple thousand dollars with this.

I've also seen that our scout group can raise a lot with a bake sale, but this might depend on your location. We can generally raise about $400 in one day's bake sale.

Our church did sit down dinners to raise money. There were a couple of gifted cooks who would supervise. One trip was pasta/Italian themed. The folks going on the trip did the table waiting and did a small presentation. There were also envelopes on the table for donations. We bought tickets for the dinner, which were reasonably priced. I think that the group raised a couple thousand dollars with this.

I've also seen that our scout group can raise a lot with a bake sale, but this might depend on your location. We can generally raise about $400 in one day's bake sale.

I could see people being willing to spend the $ they would spend going out to eat after church right there at church.

Where do you hold the bake sales? And what day/time? The bake sales we've done in the past haven't taken in much. And parents are out the $ and time in making items.

To find the discount cards: ask the fundraising chairperson of another youth group such as PTA/PTO or High School Music Dept Chair. You might be able to find a contact number on the back of a card. The ones around here expire in April, so you'll be getting in at a good time. They pretty much sell themselves - you just have to find people that don't already have one which can be a little difficult if an entire school grade sold them.

Three ideas--

Holding a bake sale--have a church "coffee hour" bake sale. The key is to NOT put prices on the items. Many will donate a lot (a LOT) more this way.

Moss gardens--these are cheap and easy to make, and you can usually sell them at a festival, farmer's market, or garage sale. Again, have your youth group make them and sell them at church. Dig the moss from someone's yard, ask for a bag of potting soil from a home store as a donation, and use people's old knick knacks and thrift store dishes to make the gardens. You can sell them anywhere from $10 to $25. The Dollar Store is a good place for little statues, miniature houses, and those river stones or glass stones used for crafting (don't spend more than a dollar or two on each garden).

Mulch--you can take pre-orders for mulch, and then go around mulching people's spring landscaping. It's very lucrative. You need mulch, a pickup truck, rakes, shovels and lots of helpers (perfect for a youth group). One of our families has the kids over to mulch her front garden/bushes area every year--she actually buys her own mulch, and pays the kids about $100 to spread it (sometimes in the back, too) for her.

Wow-- I'm hearing ideas I'd never have thought of. I will have dd contact a girl from the band. I think that's the group that sold the discount cards. Those really do pay for themselves and sell themselves!

I think our church itself is tired of the youth selling things and the youth person has other things planned so I'm hoping to "market" other people.

Keep those ideas coming!