Menu

Easy meal for 12 people to make at mountain house?

For my in-laws' 50th anniversary, the entire family is heading to the mountains to try our hand at skiing and snowboarding. Each family is to make a meal for dinner.

Anything I can make in one pot or one dish - without dairy - because of allergies? I was going to make chili, but sil is doing that. This is not how I usually cook, so I'm a little clueless.

Thanks!

Big pot of veggie soup with rice or pasta in it - and a couple bags of salad, rolls or crusty bread, maybe a pan of brownies or fruit/oatmeal bars. If you can lug a crockpot there, and take the veggies already clean and cut-up, with a couple cans of broth, you can slap that meal together in the morning and let it simmer all day while folks play.

Spaghetti/fettucini

Stroganoff sp?(plan an alternative in case someone doesn't like it)

Tacos/burritos/enchiladas/taco salad/Mexican style casserole like tamale pie

Chicken and rice

Roast - would need a couple or a large prime rib

Oven fried chicken

Homemade soup with bread-we love potato soup on trips like this

ETA: If not already chosen by someone else I would do a taco bar. Saute chicken/ground beef. Offer re fried beans and black beans (TJs has seasoned Cuban black beans in a can. I mix one of these cans and a can of their tomatoes that has bell peppers in it. It is spicy but a yummy filling for tacos.) Offer Mexican rice, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, cilantro, guac (if you can get avocados it is simple to make), an 8th'd lime or two, and salsas. Have corn shells and flour shells as well as totilla chips for a taco salad. Any left overs are usually easy to use up over the next day or so.

It is easy to make, and people who have allergies would probably appreciate that they can make their own or can easily deal with a finicky kid.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

12 people? - a ham or a turkey - those big pieces of meat are great and you will have leftover meat for sandwiches. Skiing makes you hungry. Hams are easier - especially if you get spiral sliced - you can do a pot of mashed potatoes and some salad. Spaghetti also works great. We do this every year for 9-15 people. If you get a rental house, the kitchen will be stocked with basics so you won't have to worry about salt or a spaghetti strainer, but take some aluminum foil and coffee.

For my in-laws' 50th anniversary, the entire family is heading to the mountains to try our hand at skiing and snowboarding. Each family is to make a meal for dinner.

Anything I can make in one pot or one dish - without dairy - because of allergies? I was going to make chili, but sil is doing that. This is not how I usually cook, so I'm a little clueless.

Thanks!

How ablout a nice thick stew? Bring some crusty bread with you. Yumm!

I know several people have mentioned pork in various forms. A lot of people don't eat pork, so if you decide to go this route you may want to double check with each family first to make sure they are okay with it.

Depending on how close you are to them, you may already know if they do or not, but some people who are not obviously religious, still don't eat pork for various reasons.

This is a fun one for large gatherings. Make a crock pot or two of chili (you can vary if needed - one veggie, one beef) and a big pot of rice. Then you have lots of toppings: grated cheese, diced toms, salsa, sour cream, romaine, olives, pineapple, peanuts, coconut, raisins (yes, really) and frito chips.

You layer the rice, then frito chips, then beans/ chili, then toppings. Very filling, good for you overall and fun! We do this often and always have fun with it. Let me know if you need chili recipes.

Then bake a plate of white brownies for dessert.

HTH

turkey white bean soup. If you are driving you could make this ahead and freeze it to bring with you. Here is a very easy recipe (recipe says serves 4, so you need to triple)

12 oz ground turkey

1 chopped onion

olive oil

2 cans (15 oz) great northern beans

1 jar ( 16 oz) green salsa

1 3/4 C low sodium chicken broth

1 1/2 T cumin

saute turkey and onion in oil. drain. add beans, salsa, broth, and cumin. simmer covered 15 minutes

Unstuffed cabbage. Simmer cooked beef/pork/venison (can be ground or stew meat) with shredded cabbage, onions, tomato puree, bell pepper, and lots of paprika. Serve over almost anything -- rice, potatoes, noodles. I like to make homemade noodles or pierogies with this, but store-bought would be easier. Serve with sour cream for those who can have dairy. This is good the day you make it, and even better the next day.