Menu

Help! The boss & wife are coming to dinner and she is diabetic - what do I make????

Hello,

We just got a call that DH's boss & wife would like to visit this week for dinner. We are thrilled but I am at a loss about what to cook. She has severe diabetes.

Does anyone know of safe yet tasty foods I can make that will be OK?

I need to have appetizers, a main meal, and some kind of dessert. It will be dinner for 12.

For this one night budget will not be an issue.

Thanks!

For diabetics what you want to avoid is lots of sweets. So your main course and most sides shouldn't be affected. Meat, vegetables and even some carbs will be ok. With carbs fiber and some fat slows down absorption of the sugars so for instance whole wheat bread will be better than white bread. Dessert is the trickiest. If you have some items that are unprocessed (whole fruits) that is your best bet. There are some things you can buy these days that use Splenda as a sugar replacement but even those a diabetic will have to watch out (for sugar alcohols etc). Also be aware that diabetics will probably avoid alcohol in drinks and food. Have some sugar substitutes available for tea/coffee. But basically any meat, veggies, cheese, fruits without sugary syrups will be easy for her.

Good luck with your menu planning!

My dad was a diabetic, my sister and my best friend are both diabetics. They eat what we eat and just input the figures into their pump accordingly. If she has a pump (many do now), she can eat pretty typically in most cases. I really would not stress all that much. Just yesterday, my sister and my friend were both together for Christmas dinner. They had ham, mashed pototaoes, crab salad, crackers, hash brown salad, deviled eggs, cheese tray, veggie tray. They also had cake with butter cream frosting, fudge (full of sugar because I made it), and two different types of cookies throughout the whole day. They both just plug the numbers in and everything it good to go. Relax - it will be great! Merry Christmas!

Is she a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic?

A type 1 diabetic can eat anything, she will just need to know the carb count of what is being served. Whole grains are better than white bread/processed foods and nothing with a lot of sauces -it can be hard to get the carb count for those. Please don't serve "sugar-free" candies or chocolates! Regular sweets are ok, sugar substitutes (splenda) would be great to have on hand. Knowing the carb count is what is important for a type 1 diabetic.

I can't help much with type 2-Aylene gave some good advice for that!

I agree with what the others have said. As long as you include some type of basic protein (I'd go with a roast, or baked chicken) and some vegetables, she should be fine.

I had gestational diabetes. It wasn't to the point that I adjusted insulin according to the meal, but I knew what would keep me within good glucose levels and chose accordingly. Like the others have said, many regular diabetics have pumps and can adjust the dosage according to what they eat. And if not, they know to be careful.

Well my dh is type 1 and does not eat like everyone else bc frankly the average American eats terribly. The point of the pump is to better manage insulin, not to get a free for all diet. I know he is greatly in the minority on that opinion tho. :)

my dh says you can't go wrong with a steak and salad with vinigrette. Steamed veggies are nice too. Maybe a wild rice side if you want a nicer carb dish. Go ahead and make a dessert. Cookies are easy to count.

I'd go with these two suggestions (Martha and Floura's). Not everyone's diabetes is easily managed. I knew two people that always had a terrible time with fluctuating numbers and had to be very careful with their diets. Better safe than sorry...and it shows that you were thoughtful in your choices.

Edited by mommaduck

When in doubt, ask. Have your DH ask his boss what his wife's favorite dessert is, and for a list of foods she may actively avoid as they make her spike. As others have pointed out dessert will be the hardest course so having an idea would be good. I would do a salad or something like shrimp cocktail (might want to make the cocktail sauce from scratch though as they can be loaded with sugar) for the appetizer. Meat and steamed veggies for the main course.

Salad would be better than steamed veggies for her, but if you steam them, don't over do it. Some veggies like carrot have a very low GI when raw, but very high when cooked. For the most part, diabetics can eat as much salad as they like because there are so few carbs in there. A fancy salad dressing will make your every day salad seem much more special. If you make it yourself, you can serve one without sugar. Instead of serving potato as a carb, if you can serve a nice wholemeal roll, that would be better. Lower GI so she can have a bit more of it. Don't worry too much about dessert. If her blood sugars vary that much, she'll probably have no more than two teaspoons of any dessert you make whatever it is. If you want the dessert to be special, think gourmet. Something very tasty, very nicely decorated and very small so she's getting pleasure from the presentation more than the food. Two teaspoons of very pretty dessert just like everyone else's is so much nicer than a two teaspoons taster when everyone else is eating a big bowlful.

Rosie