Menu

Anyone know the status of Rod & Staff's Algebra books??

Chris in CA

Hi Chris,

I was just thinking about this today, so I pulled out my old "Curriculum News and Cues". I have 3 newsletters that are dated October 2006, March 2007, and March 2008 that I kept because they have information about their textbook updates. However, not one of these mention a new Algebra program at all. I know that I read it somewhere though. I was thinking about calling them to find out more information. I have a couple of home remodeling projects finishing up this week, so I don't think I will get to it soon. If I find out anything, I'll post it in a new thread.

Now why didn't I think about calling them, good idea : )

I asked my R&S Canadian representative about this last week - she said the algebra book is in process but it still could be awhile. Then she referred me on to CLE, who publish high school math texts. See if you can find my post on the high school board, with questions about CLE, too.

I so wish R&S had a full high school program for math.

They said that the next math course due out will be in "Record Keeping."

There are higher math courses in the works. A grade 9 and 10. However, he said it could be 5 years before it is ready to purchase.

He was so very kind. He apologized for not having it ready for purchase today! Just gotta love those folks over at Rod and Staff!

Joyfully,

Mary

Hi Colleen,

I read your posts about CLE, are you considering this for algebra?

I haven't really thought it out, but I know I'll use R & S 8, but after that I'm clueless

No, not really....not unless they have algebra I and II, Geometry, Pre Cal and Calculus by 2011. I want to start a sequence of books and go all the way through (well, at least have the possibility of going through Calculus, if my kids want to). I don't want to jump from publisher to publisher through the high school years. The CLE rep I talked with the other day didn't seem to think there would be a Calculus course anytime soon.

what you are planning to use?

I'm fine for next year (R&S 8) but after that I'm lost

I'm an English major so when I say I'm lost, I mean really lost : )

I'm sorry, I have no idea yet! I just know I want ONE publisher that does Algebra I through to Calculus. I haven't investigated anything yet, because my son is just on book 5 of R&S. But, once, when I asked on the high school board about possible texts to use after R&S 8, the following were recommended to me as "strong," solid, college prep material: Lial's, Foerster's, and Larson Chalkdust. Like I said, though, I haven't looked into any of these yet - and another reason for that is, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for yet! So, I read all the "math guru" posts on the high school board, hoping to form some ideas in my mind. :)

I adore CLE math, but you need to know that it started as a revision of Alpha Omega math (for better or worse). They've since reworked grades 1-7 into their own program (called Sunrise editions), and will have grade 8 done sometime this summer. Algebra is currently in the old Alpha Omega version, but is being redone for release as a Sunrise edition "a few years" from now. Definitely not next summer, maybe the summer after that.

I totally understand, I'm going to be asking my sister to help with this one, she's an 8th grade math teacher.

Good luck, keep me posted, : )

Chris, look what I just found a little further down the board:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14856

I think I'll cross Chalkdust off my list. I'll take the poster's word for it - she has been on these boards for a very long time and she has given me some excellent R&S math advice in the past.

I actually used Chalkdust's pre-algebra with dd this year for the first couple of months, and we encountered the same problems blended with the fact that she just wasn't ready for pre-algebra at that level. I really want to find a high school text for upper maths and not college level books. Did the poster happen to mention what she used?

btw I'm still keeping CLE's Sunrise on the horizon (pun intended) : )

I actually used Chalkdust's pre-algebra with dd this year for the first couple of months, and we encountered the same problems blended with the fact that she just wasn't ready for pre-algebra at that level. I really want to find a high school text for upper maths and not college level books. Did the poster happen to mention what she used?

btw I'm still keeping CLE's Sunrise on the horizon (pun intended) : )

It seems she uses Chalkdust in late high school. But I'd go ask her. She posts rarely, but I think she's a wealth of information and experience.