Menu

What Answers in Genesis science resources are good for the age range of 7-9?

Dianne-TX

Can you tell I'm searching AIG at the moment? :)

I'm wondering--

1.) Which God's Design to start with?

and

2.) Trying to figure out how it's "an entire 8 year science curriculum" when there are only four science topics covered one year at a time. Isn't that just four years? Do they mean it is recommended for use up to 8th grade?

The Life series and the Heavens & Earth series go first, then the other two. It lasts for 8 years if you cycle through them twice. So you can make them last 8 years if you want, because they are designed for use through 8th grade, but you don't have to.

Aside from GD science, I also really like some of AiG's dinosaur books. We have The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible. My 7yo really likes that one. We also have What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs and that would probably fit better with kindergarten age.

Can you tell I'm searching AIG at the moment? :)

I'm wondering--

1.) Which God's Design to start with?

and

2.) Trying to figure out how it's "an entire 8 year science curriculum" when there are only four science topics covered one year at a time. Isn't that just four years? Do they mean it is recommended for use up to 8th grade?

Generally people do Life, Earth, Chemistry, Physics. You can do them in any order you want though.

The Life and Earth texts have Beginner sections for young children, then all 4 series have older student sections.

So if you start with a K student who is wiggly and a Pre-K 3/4 it might look like this:

year 1: K & Pre-K 3/4 Life using Beginner section

year 2: 1st & K 4/5 Earth using Beginner section

year 3: 2nd & K Chemistry using main section

year 4: 3rd & 1st Physics using main section

year 5: 4th & 2nd Life using main section and older section for 4th grader.

year 6: 5th & 3rd Earth using main section and older section for 5th grader.

year 7: 6th & 4th Chemistry using main section and older section for 6th grader.

year 8: 7th & 5th Physics using main section and older section for 7th grader.

That is just one way it might look.

I don't quite use them like that. My kids only seem to want animals and plants when they are younger, so I go with it. Right now I read aloud to everyone during breakfast the plant text. Then I am reading aloud the Weather and Water book to Pumpkin. This is her first time covering the topics. Next year she will do Chemistry and will be reading them herself, then in 6th she will do Physics and will read herself and answer all the questions in written form and need to study to pass the tests. It is my way of transition them from being read to, to learning to study and be independent.

Heather

p.s. I don't own any of their other texts that I know of.

The Life and Earth texts have Beginner sections for young children, then all 4 series have older student sections.

Is that something they just added with the new edition? I bought the full set a few years ago and I didn't see a beginners section in them. I sure wish it did! I like the books as a teacher manual, but the info in them is way above my kids head. I found it was written more for an older student or adult.

So what I had to do is read it myself then get another book, such as one from Child Craft series for them.

I would think of buying the new set if it's easier to use for younger kids. I'm mostly using Apologia elementary books now. But they don't cover all the subjects I would like.

Is that something they just added with the new edition? ...I would think of buying the new set if it's easier to use for younger kids.

Yes, it's one of several changes in the new 3rd edition books that has me considering replacing my older books for next year.

Other changes:

Answers to the discussion questions have been moved from the student/main book to the teacher info.

Color pictures added.

Created a teacher CD which allows you to print out all the lab/activity worksheets.

There may be other changes as well; these are the ones I remember.

Is that something they just added with the new edition? I bought the full set a few years ago and I didn't see a beginners section in them. I sure wish it did! I like the books as a teacher manual, but the info in them is way above my kids head. I found it was written more for an older student or adult.

So what I had to do is read it myself then get another book, such as one from Child Craft series for them.

I would think of buying the new set if it's easier to use for younger kids. I'm mostly using Apologia elementary books now. But they don't cover all the subjects I would like.

Yes, it is new. You should really check out the samples. It has a whole different feel now.

Heather

Thanks! Now I'm really wishing I hadn't bought the whole set 2 years ago. lol (sigh) The new editions look much more user friendly!

Yea I owned about 4 of the books, not too bad, but still. BTW if you ordered them directly from AIG they were offering an upgrade option. I don't know if they still are. I, of course, ordered them through B&N so I couldn't get the discount. That is just the way my life goes. :blink:

Heather

Yea I owned about 4 of the books, not too bad, but still. BTW if you ordered them directly from AIG they were offering an upgrade option. I don't know if they still are. I, of course, ordered them through B&N so I couldn't get the discount. That is just the way my life goes. :blink:

Heather

No, I'm in Canada so I ordered mine from CHER. :tongue_smilie: