Menu

Need math recommendation

My 13yo dd is currently using LOF and does not like it. She is in 8th grade right now. She did Singapore up through 6B and liked it very much and did well. She is not going into math or science, she would like to pursue art. So, a really intensive math program is not what I need. She needs to be able to work as independently as possible. What can you recommend? Right now, I am looking at MUS, but would like opinions on that and any other advice.

Thanks!

My 13yo dd is currently using LOF and does not like it. She is in 8th grade right now. She did Singapore up through 6B and liked it very much and did well. She is not going into math or science, she would like to pursue art. So, a really intensive math program is not what I need. She needs to be able to work as independently as possible. What can you recommend? Right now, I am looking at MUS, but would like opinions on that and any other advice.

Thanks!

Just a caution: When I was 13, I was absolutely convinced that I was not going to go into math or science, and I had everyone around me convinced as well. Throughout high school my interests were art, music, and creative writing. I completed an algebra II course in high school with a D and did not take math in my senior year.

Fast forward to my junior year in college. I changed my major to biochemistry and was required to take three semesters of calculus, three semesters of calculus-based physics, and two semesters of calculus-based physical chemistry. Gaining a strong math background in high school would have helped. A lot.

We assumed based on ds' stated opinions and the fact that he struggled with math for several years that he'd not be going the math/science route. However, sometime in high school his performance on math turned around. Then, his first math course at the community college as a senior convinced him that he was reasonably competent and enjoyed math. He enjoyed chemistry in high school, loved his first college chemistry experience, and he is considering pursuing some form of chemistry. So, now, he's juggling his schedule to include calculus a.s.a.p.

Even for those who don't intend to pursue a math/science degree, the intellectual discipline of math is valuable ;). We looked at MUS and liked it, but decided on Video-Text. I was able to monitor his progress and help with a minimal investment of my time; ds did quite a bit of independent work.

HTH,

Martha

Thanks!

What about ChalkDust? It's quite rigorous (comparable to Singapore I would think) but the video lectures by Dana Mosely explain everything extremely well, so it is very independent. Cheap, too, if you get the Cengage/Houghton-Miffflin DVDs.

Search for a thread titled "Chalkdust for Less" ~ Pongo posted the ISBNs for the all the "plain label" versions of the DVDs and accompanying texts. I put together sets (DVDs, text, solutions manual) of Prealgebra, Algebra I & II (combined) and Precalculus for around $30-60 per set.

Jackie

We went to Dolciani Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Course after SM6B, after trying NEM1. Ds likes both of them as well as he liked SM, but he likes the way Dolciani divides up the chapters better than NEM1. He works independently as I feel it is important to know how to read a math text. No troubles so far.

Math Relief fan here. My son is using it after Singapore 6B and it is easy for him, but it is taking him far quickly. You can watch a sample here:

http://www.mathrelief.com/

I made inquiry regarding a Geometry program, as Mr. Firebaugh's website doesn't offer one and I received the following..

Re: Geometry

We have completed Phase 1 of our Geometry course. However, it is a very time-consuming job, and we don't anticipate having another phase available anytime soon.

Phase 2 would be mainly "Coordinate Geometry", and this has been covered in both our Algebra I and Algebra II courses, so we will not repeat this again in a geometry course.

Phase 3 would be mostly "Areas" and "Volumes". Since students have studied these topics throughout their General Math years, then there would not be much new material in Phase 3. It would mainly consist of "proofs" which most students do not need -- only those who will be math majors in college.

We give the basic principles of "proofs" in our Phase 1 of the Geometry course, along with basic definitions.

If you feel that you would want our Phase 1, then the price is the same as our algebra materials = $79.95 for 8 DVD's and student lessons with Answer Keys. Shipping is $6.00. California residents pay $7.00 for Sales Tax.

If you need Coordinate Geometry, we have an excerpt from Algebra I that is $26.95 plus shipping (and 8.75% sales tax if applicable).

Orders must be placed by phone with a credit card or by mail with a check or money order.

Keyboard Enterprises

5200 Heil Ave., #32

Huntington Beach, CA 92649

(800) 737-6284