Menu

How do you heat frozen cooked shrimp?

MomsintheGarden is picking up jumbo frozen cooked shrimp at Aldi for about $5.32/lb. which is quite a bit cheaper than the jumbo frozen raw shrimp at Costco. After over 21 years of marriage, we have NEVER bought cooked shrimp before. Is it possible to heat up cooked shrimp without ruining it, or is best to eat it cold as shrimp cocktail?

Or perhaps it's just best not to buy shrimp at Aldi? :001_huh:

TIA!

My husband took care of this just last weekend.....he put them in a colandar and ran cool water over them for ten minutes with the sprayer. They were cold when he was done and we ate them with cocktail sauce. I have quickly cooked frozen cooked shrimp and I found mine got rubbery very fast.

Enjoy them....they are a Christmas treat here as well!!

My husband took care of this just last weekend.....he put them in a colandar and ran cool water over them for ten minutes with the sprayer. They were cold when he was done and we ate them with cocktail sauce. I have quickly cooked frozen cooked shrimp and I found mine got rubbery very fast.

Enjoy them....they are a Christmas treat here as well!!

Thanks! We may eat them as shrimp cocktail but we were hoping to have them as a meal.
I've done it both ways. Less time in the water if they are thawed first.

I've never had a problem with rubberiness or hardness.

Great, Thanks! We may give it a try. I guess the trick is to not leave them in for long at all. I don't see how we will tell when they are hot, but if it has worked for you, I think we'll give it a shot!

If you want shrimp cocktail, run them under barely warm water until thawed. I put them in a colander and stir occasionally so that they all get equal coverage.

You can also take them frozen, put them in a skillet, add 1/2 pound of butter and seasoning. I like salt, lots of basil, whole or minced garlic cloves, a bit of pepper and cook on medium until heated throughout. Top with some fresh (not the green can stuff) parmesan and serve. You can thaw first, but it's not necessary.

Depends on what you want to do with them. I like to buy the frozen cooked shrimp to add to a stir-fry. I do what others mentioned by thawing them under cool water.

Then - for stir-fry I will first cook my onions and stir-fry veggies (carrots, celery, bean sprouts etc.) on the griddle with some sauce (I like 1 part soy sauce to 1 part water w/ 2 tbs. lemon and about 1 tbs. honey all mixed together). I will add the shrimp on the griddle for the last 5 minutes to get them all hot and saucy.

Serve with rice. Mmmmm!

Reg, I just started using the cooked shrimp this summer (when I chose "shrimp" as an option on my Fat Loss for Idiots diet.)

It was really easy. You can cook them without thawing them. You can thaw them in some cold (or even warm) water in a colander, and then just heat them up when the other food is done (add the shrimp last to the dish.)

I wish I'd known how easy it was sooner.