Menu

Handwriting -- am I crazy to do this?

skueppers

I hated cursive handwriting in school, and only ever used it when I was required to. The only time I use cursive today is when I sign my name; otherwise I print or type.

I'll be doing K with my daughter next school year, when she'll be almost six. I plan to use Getty-Dubay italic with her, but since the method I learned in school was different, I figured that since I have the luxury of time, I should learn it myself first. So this spring, I'm planning to work through the "Write Now" book and practice enough that the Getty-Dubay handwriting comes naturally to me.

Am I nuts? Anyone else do something like this? Have you taught your kids a handwriting style you haven't mastered yourself?

I don't think you're nuts. I'm actually seriously considering teaching myself Spencerian penmanship before Ariel gets to be old enough to learn it, so I can teach her better. Right now we are using Zaner-Bloser, which isn't exactly the way I was taught, but it's been fairly easy to pick up, and the instruction is pretty clear so we haven't had trouble. I think it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have clear instructions.

I hope you're not crazy -- I've always done some handwriting practice along with dc.

First, you can model good writing posture & concentration. Also, my dc like to pick out my best letter from a line of letters -- I think this helps them look at their own writing critically.

We began with HWT and now use Getty-Dubay. I think Getty Dubay is esp good for adults to use -- not only because of the adult book, but also because of its calligraphy like quality. BTW, I have quite a bit of calligraphy, but my regular handwriting (which I am happy with) seems to be illegible to others!