Menu

Any thoughts on these two colleges?

brendafromtenn

Well, I'm not overly impressed by anything I've heard about Georgetown, sorry. Asbury, on the other hand, is a very sound little gem of a school just 20 minutes out of Lexington. The town is quiet and nice. Facilities there are good. I hear they have a sound program for education and, of course, their special is ministry work. My son would be looking at it but they don't offer any major areas that are of interest to him.

They are Div. III for sports, so that's more laid back, as well, but their Luce Center for athletics is very nice for the size of the school.

My son's USA swim team practices out of Asbury and my younger son plays some soccer down there, so we're back and forth to the school all the time. If you have other questions about it, I'm happy to try to get answers for you.

Other small, liberal arts schools in our area include Transylvania and Centre. Transy is in downtown Lexington. My son is looking at it and they do have very good professors, however I'm a little worried about the moral environment prevalent on their campus.

Centre is about 35-45 minutes away from Lexington, in the heart of a perfectly lovely little town called Danville. Well thought of in academic circles and with terrific professors, the atmosphere seems a little more to my liking and it's a top contender with my son. Because of Norton Center, they attract tons of world famous performers, presidential debates, etc.

Another to consider here is Berea, which is more of a fine arts school. I *think* they accept out of state students. Everyone works!

We were leaning toward Asbury, as I am a United Methodist P.K.;)

I have heard about Asbury for years in our home, however, most of it had to do with the Seminary, and not the college. However, I was searching the exhibitors of the Cenn.Homeschool Convention for next spring, and I noticed that Asbury was one of the exhibitors!

So, I went to search the website and I was PLEASANTLY surprised by what I found. It had all of the majors that DS is interested in(math education or business), has a high academic record, and approaches a literature/history study from a Christian worldview(like we have done in our hs).

Not only that, but they have a High Adventure program for leadership development which is a perfect fit for DS who is an "almost" EAGLE SCOUT and would LOVE to continue backpacking and COPE.

It would be 6 hours from our home, which is a downer for us. But it is 3 hours from "Granny" who is in middle TN. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

We visited Asbury this fall and were reasonably impressed for the size of school. My dd is interested in Media Comm/Film, and they have a great program and are building a brand new building just for that. We were very impressed with the head of the dept., and they are doing a lot for a small school in a rural locale. I think they mentioned their president was very enthusiastic and doing some good things, too. However, in the end for us, it was too far away and she decided not to apply.