Menu

How do you schedule PL at your house?

ELaurie

I'm pondering whether to start PL next year with ds 8, and 5. They will be 9 and 6 in the fall; ds 5 learns very quickly; ds 8 is reading well, but struggles with spelling and handwriting.

They're learning Hebrew right now, which we started last year, but we haven't covered a lot of grammar at this point, so I may wait until next summer, or until the following year when ds8 is in 4th and ds 5 is in 2nd.

If I start PL, I'd like to keep our schedule fairly "light", and focus on vocabulary, without much of an emphasis on grammar until beginning LC with them in when ds 8 is in 4th.

Thank you :)

Here's our PL schedule. Dd has dance class and takes us 20 minutes to drive there. (I might get in trouble for this but...) I put the DVD in the car and let ds (6.5) watch the lesson. When we get to dance class we go over the words he has learned (10 min).

The next day I ask him the questions on the workbook (orally) and on the way to his martial arts (Wed.,Fri.) we listen to the pronunciation cd (3x) -it suggest to do it 5x- and on (Thurs) he goes to piano so we listen to it (3x) in the car also. *I dont make him do the copy work in the workbook*

We're in chapter 14 and I felt like we needed to review the words so we played pictionary (can also do hangman) for review. We did today and it was fun! **He didn't remember 5 out of the 25 words he has learned. It thought that was pretty good.

HTH. :001_smile:

there's not much grammar in LCI, either.

The only sentence structures in LCI are Subject-Linking Verb-Pred. Nominative and Subject-LV-Pred Adj. (and there's not *much* of that unless you create it yourself!)

Oh, and you'll cover 1st, 2nd, 3rd person and singular/plural.

We did most of PL orally, which meant we could repeat the exercises that needed it. (I think we ended up with the only written work being that he had to copy the vocabulary each day.)

:)

I put the DVD in the car and let ds (6.5) watch the lesson

Why have I never thought of this???? We have a 45 minute drive to piano every week (I know, it's insane) and my ds would love to watch the DVD in the car!!!! I just discovered last week I could be doing SOTW CD's and letting the boys color their pages, now I can add PL DVD's! Cool!!!

Kathy

Our PL Schedule (most days take about 15 minutes)

Monday – Go over flashcards / Listen to Lesson on CD / Go over the lesson / Review Questions from workbook

Tuesday – Go over flashcards / Listen to Lesson on CD / Go over the current prayer / Lesson Questions from workbook

Wednesday – Go over flashcards / Listen to Lesson on CD / Go over Derivatives / Translate from workbook

Thursday – Go over flashcards / Listen to Lesson on CD / Speaking Latin from workbook

Friday – Go over flashcards / Listen to Lesson on CD / Write and Learn

I didn't schedule it. I would just open up the lesson, and drill and recite, and fill in some blanks for about 10-15 minutes. Then, I'd put it away. As we got toward the end of the book, lessons took longer because there was so much more vocabulary to review, and so many more prayers to recite, but we kept plugging away until we finished.

My husband has taken over this one subject. He schedules it a couple of evenings a week. Sometimes if his schedule gets busy, it is held on Saturday morning. We haven't had any complaints so far about missing a couple of Saturday morning cartoons. They like this time with dad.

He uses the DVD, goes over the lesson with them, and sits at the table while they complete it. He has so much more patience with this than I would. They have even learned some of the prayers!

He uses the CD in the van when he is driving around with them.

It works for us!

Joyfully,

Mary