Menu

Clothes that say wash before wearing

I got my DD's some sweaters a few days ago because they needed some more warm weather clothing. I noticed that the tag said "wash before wearing." Well, I didn't have time to do that so I googled exactly WHY it needed to be washed before wearing. Of course it came up with the fact that it could contain chemicals or dyes that could get onto the skin. But what shocked me is that it said that formaldehyde is used to treat some clothes so that they do not mildew during shipping. :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh: I don't want formaldehyde on my family's skin! I think we'll just start going naked. ;)

But what shocked me is that it said that formaldehyde is used to treat some clothes so that they do not mildew during shipping.
Cloth materials are also routinely sprayed with pesticides prior to shipping.

I find this all terribly interesting.

I have really sensitive skin, though, I've never had a problem from brand new clothes and usually wear them before I wash them. Now, wearing washed clothes is much more of a problem, which those who've read recently threads I've started will know.

Thrift stores are the WORST! Most people use laundry soap I'm allergic to, and the smell in the stores makes me nauseous and gives me a horrible headache. I've bought thrift store items that I was never able to get the previous owner's perfume scent off enough to be able to wear them.