Menu

Arrrgggghhh!!! ER's laptop was stolen from his LOCKED dorm room Wednesday night.

He was visiting a friend and came back to find that his computer was missing. The door was locked and the only things missing were the laptop & the power cord that goes with it. The laptop case, the jump drives, the external hard drive, the mouse, and the mousepad were all right there on the desk. Even the money in the desk drawer (over $150 cash) was still there. At first, ER thought that someone was playing a prank on him. But later, he found out that at least 2 other laptops also went missing that same night, and that makes at least 7 or 8 that have been stolen from his dorm this semester. He called the police, and they came and investigated, but they don't give ER much hope that the computer will be recovered. And no, it wasn't insured. :(

Do the police have any idea why this is going on?

I think it has to do with a viable blackmarket. :)

And masterkeys. In my med school there was a "chicken bandit". S/he would use a key to get in, steal things, and then take something like a frozen chicken from the freezer and leave it thawing on the couch.

Then there was the midwest enema bandit, who got into dorm rooms and gently tied co-eds up and .....

Yikes - that is awful.

My ds got a hand-me-down laptop from his dad because we were afraid he'd leave it on the train or have it stolen.

He didn't have any big papers on it that needed to be turned in?

Maybe look at refurbished laptops or netbooks and a lock (amazon sells refurbished in addition to new). I think my ds is getting a lock for Christmas.

I think I'd be down at the college president's office demanding that they do something about it. If there were no signs on entry in a locked room that's fairly obvious that it's someone with a COLLEGE ISSUED key. Since it's more than one theft it's not a matter of your son giving a friend a key who then stole from him (unless all the students with stolen goods have a same "friend", lol).

It sounds like it's time for the college to change locks on all the dorm rooms and have a little more control over who has keys.

Also, use caution about reporting this on your homeowner's insurance. While not all insurance companies ding you for claims, some do it big time.........so if your deductible is higher than the value of the laptop, which I would presume it will be, then you'll have a claim against your insurance but have received no benefit. We changed insurance companies because of this practice.....we didn't realize that this ding can bite you in higher premiums next year even though you got zero out of it! It's best to use your insurance only when the claim is sufficiently higher than your deductible to make any raise in premiums worthy.

It's also time for ER's college friends to start looking around at who has either a "new" computer or some extra cash!

I'm sorry to hear about that. You might want to think about getting him renter's insurance. It's very inexpensive and it will cover things like this. The insurance company I work for, where you are in good hands, is about $10 per month for renter's. Just something to think about.

He was visiting a friend and came back to find that his computer was missing. The door was locked and the only things missing were the laptop & the power cord that goes with it. The laptop case, the jump drives, the external hard drive, the mouse, and the mousepad were all right there on the desk. Even the money in the desk drawer (over $150 cash) was still there. At first, ER thought that someone was playing a prank on him. But later, he found out that at least 2 other laptops also went missing that same night, and that makes at least 7 or 8 that have been stolen from his dorm this semester. He called the police, and they came and investigated, but they don't give ER much hope that the computer will be recovered. And no, it wasn't insured. :(

That is maddening!

I hope they find the thief and put him in stocks in the quad and let the kids throw dining hall food at him.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry to hear about that. You might want to think about getting him renter's insurance. It's very inexpensive and it will cover things like this. The insurance company I work for, where you are in good hands, is about $10 per month for renter's. Just something to think about.

Thanks, journey. Now the jingle is going to be in my head all. day. long. :lol:

My dh thinks it's funny to ask me to sing commercials/jingles from my/our childhood b/c I have a good memory for that. But it is a curse...