Menu

Christmas dresses

My DD 11 still doesn't know what she's wearing to church on Christmas eve. She's such a tomboy that the thought of a frilly dress really takes her awhile to get used to. Dillard's had some gorgeous dresses, but she said, "No" to all of them.:glare: Tonight, my mom and I were walking through JCPenney, and we stopped in the girls' dept. to look. Wow. They were awful. Just awful. Nearly all of them were cut in a style that required a bust to look right. What is the deal with that? DD is 11, and isn't yet developing at all. Even if she were, I don't want her Christmas dress to resemble a Disney channel prom queen. None of them had sleeves. It's below freezing here. Well, one of them did have short sleeves and a plaid skirt. It was actually the only one that was even remotely styled to fit a child. The rest were the most bizarre collection of "children's" dresses I have ever seen. In the words of my mother, "It looks like these were meant for someone with a bosom!":lol: I had to look twice at the big sign to make sure we were really in the young girls' dept.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the local store's buyer. Obviously, ours doesn't have a young daughter! Or maybe she/he does, and it's just me? Truly, though, those dresses are not cut for that age group. And when I said I couldn't imagine anyone actually buying one, my mom observed that it didn't look like anyone had. The racks were still completely full.

Could you focus on getting a long-ish skirt and wear a blouse or turtleneck that she already owns? Paired with tights or leggings I would think it would look nice and be warm. Maybe a pretty scarf or some other accessory borrowed from mom could liven up the outfit.

We dress with the weather in mind, even for church. When it is dangerously cold outside, we don't wear dresses, or if we do, we have snow pants and other winter gear in the car in case we need them. I would love my girls to wear pretty dresses on Christmas Eve but we'll have to see how cold it is. Just getting in and out of the car can be an ordeal.

I had exactly the same reaction looking for dresses this year for DD8. We finally found a nice "little girl" dress for her at Costco of all places!

We found ours at Costco too. Love them. ETA: Nevermind, I see you are Costco-less where you live.

What about TJ Max? We've had good luck there in the past. We've also had bad luck. That place is kind of hit or miss but you could get lucky.

We found ours at Costco too. Love them. ETA: Nevermind, I see you are Costco-less where you live.

What about TJ Max? We've had good luck there in the past. We've also had bad luck. That place is kind of hit or miss but you could get lucky.

We also found dd10's beautiful christmas dress at Costco this year. It really is too bad you don't live near one. She wore it to her music recital and got a ton of compliments.

If dd was more of a tomboy I think I would opt for nice pants and top, or long skirt and top not the dresses she loves to wear. The one this year is mild compared to years past, she loves ones that look like ballgowns and we have had many of those over the years.

I found this and a couple of others at our Penney's--you still have time to order on line, but it may be too frilly for her! lol

The only things we like at Penney's are the Bonnie Jean dresses.

That one is beautiful. Dd was looking over my shoulder and is now mad that we live here in Canada and don't have JCPenney's to buy that at.

It might be too late for shipping (unless you pay an arm and a leg) but Hanna Andersson has great Christmas dresses that are tailored, cute and ON SALE! They're pretty picked over size-wise by this time, but you could check... I got the girls sweater dresses this year to be worn with funky tights rather than the typical plaid or ruffled dresses, mostly because we're flying on Christmas Eve, and I thought they'd be comfy on the airplane :)

You all are right--I need to think of other options. Last year, we found cute pants and a sweater at Target. The pants are too short now. :glare:

/QUOTE]

I was just going to suggest the Target sweater and cute pants option. I was at mine last night and they still had quite a collection to choose from. :D

(I never knew buying clothes for kids was so difficult. Until I had my own. It's a nightmare!:confused:)

Well, if you have a sewing maching you could choose a cute sweater she likes and make a circle skirt to match. Lest you think you couldn't may I just say that *even I* can do it!

I made one for a play she was in and it was so, so, so, easy!!!! Fold it, cut it, elastic at the top/sew shut, hem bottom.

Just google for a circle skirt tutorial -- with pics helps me. skip any that have a bunch of math b/c it's just so much easier than that.

Now she's begging for more!