Menu

how scheduled are you

So how scheduled are you on a day to day basis? How about on a week-week basis? Is this a function of how many kiddos you have or is it because you are a highly organized person?

I am trying to get more organized and be more prepared...I have some "goals" for our family that I would like to make our "family motto" but I dunno how to implement them, I am not an organized person by birth by any means but clutter drives me INSANE!!!! I have tried doing the fly lady program (http://www.flylady.com) but it doesn't seem workable while the husband is home (great while he's out to sea).

School wise...would you be willing to share with me what your curriculum outline looks like for your preschoolers/pre-kindergarteners?

I know what I want to cover in each subject, for each child during this school year. I know what I want to cover during each 12 week period. I know, generally, what needs to be done in a week. I know, generally, what needs to be done daily. By necessity I'm flexible with our time, to a point. For instance, today we had friends over and made sugar cookies. As far as school time, there was none. That was fine for today but it means that the work will have to be done before we can "break" for Christmas.

I could never hang with the flylady because I hate to wear shoes in doors and I couldn't care less if my sink shines. Cluttered counters, however, drive me crazy.

As for my prek/k curriculum, it involves playing with letters and numbers and tons of reading together.

I know what I want to cover in each subject, for each child during this school year. I know what I want to cover during each 12 week period. I know, generally, what needs to be done in a week. I know, generally, what needs to be done daily. By necessity I'm flexible with our time, to a point. For instance, today we had friends over and made sugar cookies. As far as school time, there was none. That was fine for today but it means that the work will have to be done before we can "break" for Christmas.

I could never hang with the flylady because I hate to wear shoes in doors and I couldn't care less if my sink shines. Cluttered counters, however, drive me crazy.

As for my prek/k curriculum, it involves playing with letters and numbers and tons of reading together.

Thanks mama for the quick response--I know I could've probably just searched but I am really bad at searching on forums....like awful!!

Yeah the flylady shoes inside thing drove me nuts. It was nice to have a cleaned out sink every night (no disposal) but I really find it more joyful to spend time with the husband when he's home and not working overnights and all that instead of spending my time cleaning up after dinner.

Not nearly enough. I used to be until my twins were born 11 years ago giving me 9 kids but I've lost it since then and added 3 more kids so now I'm way out in left field. The only thing that is actually written down is their daily school work.

just looked at your blog, your kiddos are beautiful

I use what I guess is a flexible schedule. Day-to-day, we do things pretty much at the same time every day but I don't have an actual written agenda, other than a checklist for school subjects (some daily, some weekly). We do most of our school in the mornings. Two times a day I speed clean for about 30-45 minutes (after lunch, after dinner while dh gets the girls ready for bed and reads to them). In the afternoons if we are home I try to get something done on my to-do list every day: bills, phone calls, laundry, etc. I don't like writing too much down on paper because once it is written down I will feel like I failed if it doesn't actually happen. I find it easier to set aside *times* during the day to get certain things done, and as long as I can get something accomplished during those times, I feel good about it.

I don't always like the flylady thing because I tend to do my deep cleaning and organizing in spurts. I hate to spend only 30 minutes here and there on a big project. I want to start it and *finish* it. I know this isn't possible all the time, but having to stop in the middle of something just really frustrates me. So I usually tackle my big organization projects at night or on the weekends. I do like her idea of shining the sink every night. It is always refreshing to wake up to an empty sink rather than one full of last night's pans. Dh empties the dishwasher before he goes to work and then I will actually put our dirty dishes in there instead of filling up my nice clean sink with them. :D

As for preschool/preK, my dd5 started reading very early (just after her 3rd birthday), so a lot of the school work we did was reflective of that. For preschool we worked through the whole Hooked on Phonics program, read a lot of books together, did some mommy and me classes through our community center, and she went to a preschool class two mornings a week. At this point I didn't really even know if I was going to be homeschooling her. For Pre-K I had started to research homeschooling and we used Five in a Row that year. We would read our book and then spend 15-30 minutes afterward on a fun activity. We also did Singapore Earlybird math that year, some Explode the Code phonics books, and Handwriting Without Tears' pre-K and kindergarten handwriting books. We did pre-K 3 times a week for about 1.5 hours each time, in the afternoons since that was when dd3 (then 2yo) was napping.

With dd3 now I am using Rod & Staff's preschool books and she is also tagging along with dd5 in some of her geography activities (coloring pages, read-alouds, etc.). The rest of the time she plays or colors. :001_smile:

If I had to write down my schedule for a day it would look like this:

1. wake up and get ready

2. breakfast

3. 30 minutes play time for girls while mom has some tea and checks email/gets organized

4. school

5. lunch

6. nap and quiet time (cleaning time for mom and then tackle a couple to-do items)

7. finish school with dd5 if there is anything, or else do something else with her

8. snack after dd3 wakes up

9. play with the girls, or run errands, visit a friend, extracurricular activity

10. start dinner

11. eat dinner

12. clean up, girls get ready for bed

13. read books or play games with girls

14. bedtime for girls

15. Mom gets to read or work on project, watch a movie with dh

I don't like assigning times because I can follow a general schedule, but get very stressed if I feel pressured to finish something by *x* time. I just kind of play it by ear, and shorten or lengthen activities on the list based on where we are in our day.

So.....I hope something in there was helpful! Is that what you were looking for? I feel like I am rambling, maybe I need to go to bed. :lol:

I, too, try to follow a more relaxed schedule and I don't assign times (9:30-1:00 Math, for example) to our day. The past few months, I have felt overwhelmed with outside activities and obligations (self-imposed). I was teaching a science class for middle level/logic stage homeschool kids and though I was enjoying it - I knew in my heart that my own kids were losing out. I had less energy to prepare for our own lessons so I've thereby let that go. I've thereby reorganized our schedule a little so I don't have to 'go out' so frequently. Part of that was getting a piano of our own so we didn't have to do lessons elsewhere.

I have a weekly plan (subjects, etc. not specific lessons) of what I like to accomplish as well as a goal for each year. This is my newly revised plan for the winter 09/10:

Monday

Language Arts

Math & Logic

Poetry Reading / Memory Work

Science - Reading

Taekwondo 5:15 - 6:00

Tuesday

Language Arts

Math & Logic

Current Events

Science - Hands-on

Taekwondo 5:15 - 6:30

Wednesday

Language Arts

Math & Logic

History - Reading

Free Swim @ 1:00

Mandarin @ 2:30

Library

Thursday

Language Arts

Math & Logic

History - Projects

Passports Club (2nd Thr) @ 12:00

Piano @ 2:30

Friday

Language Arts

Math & Logic

Saturday/Sunday

Independent Reading

Picture Study

Composer Study

Fine Arts & Handcrafts

Activities with times attached are lessons with others and/or activities that are scheduled regularly. Otherwise, the subjects are what I hope to do doing the day. More frequently than not, however, we get math and language arts completed - others subjects get pushed aside. For example, we started SOTW2 in Sept. and yet we've only completed 4 chapters.

Taekwondo is available 4-5x a week but we generally go only 2x. I also swim myself so MWF we have less time for formal lessons.

I still need to get accustomed myself to incorporating daily practice time for DD's Mandarin lessons. Now that she is doing private lessons rather than the 2x week immersion class, I feel I need to encourage her to practice more.

I'd also like to resume Spanish immersion daily - we did so for a month or so but it is the first thing to get dropped when we get busy.

is give my children their schedule on Monday. It includes all the work they have to accomplish in the week by subject. They are allowed to do the work in any order they choose (with the exception of their scheduled online classes, of course) as long as by Friday afternoon it's all accomplished. Consequences come into play if the work is not done. I haven't had to implement said consequences in a long time.

At the middle school age my dc were able to work longer days M-Th to finish their work and have Fridays off most of the time. At the high school level, the amount/level of difficulty of work has increased (of course) and that really isn't possible anymore.

I keep a notebook with a syllabus for each subject (not including online subjects - those they manage themselves) that I use to pull their assignments from on a weekly basis, but I don't consider that written in stone. I try to keep the weekly stuff flexible as long as the end goal is met. For example, I know with math that I want my ds to finish his textbook by a certain date. At the beginning of the school year I take that information and I work backwards to form a rough schedule. Excel spreadsheets are my buddies here. It makes my life a lot easier.

Edited: I should have included that this year my dd is a junior in high school and attending the local CC as a dual enrolled student. I give her a blank schedule every week and she fills it out with her classes/study schedule. Her only classes outside the CC are online classes. She is completely responsible for her own schedule this year. I did this purposely because I want her to be able to manage her courses when she goes off to college. This is a learned skill, IMHO, and there's already so much more adjusting she'll be doing when she gets there; now there's one less thing she'll have to learn. Oh, and a bragging note here. Dd made all A's in her three classes at the CC (Precalc, Chem I, and Am. History I). Yippee!

Edited by Bev in B'ville
clarification

I have until recently been giving weekly schedules. Now I try to make two weeks at a time. I won't do longer than that because this way I am forced to correct their work and ensure they are on track.

We all do school in the same, though, and most days I am there to make sure they really got everything done. This is working well.

I have chore-lists for the kids that rotate on a daily basis so everyone has some cleaning or tidying to do daily, making sure our house stays livable. I am an early bird so I don't mind doing the kitchen from last night's dinner the next morning.. I do mind being int he kitchen when I am tired because I tend to start shutting down after 7!!!

This year due to finances we have had very few outside activities, but it has worked out fine and forced us to focuse on the home and school.

My personality clutter-wise and organizational-wise sounds the same as yours. I'm not, naturally, the most organized person in the world, but, I can't stand clutter.

I had to really work at the organizational aspect of homeschooling. It took some time. I kept our school highly and tightly organized at first because I needed the discipline.

I wrote out our family goals for homeschooling and educational plans for each child including their learning styles and goals for each one. I still do this and review it yearly.

I had a 2-week lesson plan that I followed and every 2 weeks I would update.

Now, I still do 2-weeks at a time, but, I tend to be a little bit looser on following it. Not to say we don't get it all done, but, if life throws us a bit of a curve, I don't get too thrown by it. I can roll with it a lot better than I used to!

Not scheduled. I have routines, but not schedules (although some routines tend to have timelines).

I keep my kitchen clean, all the time. I make my bed as soon as I get up in the morning and get dressed before I leave my bedroom (I take my shower at night, wash my hair in the morning in the kitchen; no one has ever died because I wash my hair in the kitchen, lol). I change bedding and do laundry on Fridays (small family, so I *can* do laundry once a week). We eat dinner around the same time every night.

Both dds were up around 7:30-8, and had breakfast and were dressed by 9, and that's when we started any Official School Stuff.

For several years our routine included library every Wednesday and a field trip on Thursday; we stayed home on Mondays and Tuesdays.

When my dc were 5 and under, they had no schedules, just our daily routine. :-)