Menu

Wedding dress question

I was looking thru the resurrected wedding dress photo thread. It's so nice to see so many beautiful dresses! The one with the little girls playing dress up in their moms dress made me think of mine. It's been "preserved" so I've never opened it with the thought that one of my girls may one day want to use it. However, it's SO 80's, there really is no way. It's huge sleeves... well I think it's the same dress as crunchymountainmom posted. Anyway, not in style now, never will be again.

All that to say, if you had a dress preserved, but suspected it would never be used again, would you unpack it from it's vacuum sealed box? Would you leave it in the box and let them unpack it when they're grown? Just curious to see what others would do/have done. I'm so tempted to get it out and see what my girls do with it. :)

I eloped, sans wedding dress. My mom let us play with her dress; it was eventually repurposed into a first communion gown for my neice. It's now been repurposed again into a princess dress for the younger neices.

My one sister insisted on saving her dress, even though we told her none of the kids would want to ever wear it by the time they got married (hers is very beautiful, but also dated). She finally got worn down and took it out. She did a Trash the Dress photo shoot with it, then repurposed what was left of it into fancy doll dresses for our neices - was a huge hit with the girls that year, and still.

I would take it out and let them see it! If you truly think they would never wear it, for sure. take it out. Even if they DO decide someday to wear it, what's the worst that can happen? They have to get it cleaned, right?

I still love my wedding dress. It was very simple: boatneck, v-back, gathered wide cumberbund at the waist, structured rosettes and long sashes at the waist in back, and a full ballgown-style skirt and slight sweeping train. It was very Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face-ish. I was so skinny at the time that I don't know if either of the girls would be able to wear it! (size 0 to 2...I was a crazy-avid cyclist at the time. An underweight bag of bones with a few well-placed bumps :tongue_smilie:).

I never had my dress preserved...if either of the girls want to wear it, a good cleaning should take care of any discoloration (so I hear). It is silk, and there were no stains on it, so it has that in its favor. I was too afraid to eat anything! My Mom keeps it covered in a 100% cotton sheet in the closet.

My girls asked to see it one time when we were back at Grandma's house (she keeps it there b/c of our military moving...). They loved it! It was very special for them to see it.

I have no expectations for them to wear it...I didn't wear my Mom's dress, because it didn't fit...she had been skinnier than I was at the time she was married, so her gown didn't fit me, and I was a size 2 at the time. This is one of the reasons I never had it preserved. Preserved for who and what? To pull out of a box someday so that my girls can say, Oh, that's pretty, but I want to wear a dress of my own choosing...it was an expense we couldn't afford at the time, and I have no regrets about not having it preserved.

I so wish I never bothered saving my dress...it's just another 'thing' to store. In retrospect, I wish I had donated it right away so someone who needed it would have had a beautiful, in style dress. (If I donated it now, it would be out of fashion)

The problem was that in my family wedding dresses really do get worn more than once! One sister wore mom's dress with no changes but sizing and the other sister had her dress made to be similar to mom's dress. It was so normal to think that a future daughter would want my dress!

I'm hoping to repurpose the fabric in some special way down the line but in the meantime there it sits in its special 'DO NOT OPEN ME' box...for all I know there are big stains and tears in the thing!

(Our family also has an heirloom boy baptismal outfit and an heirloom girl baptismal outfit...in some ways so very special but also so much pressure!):tongue_smilie:

I donated mine to a school drama department that was in need of costumes. Easier than selling it, and better than keeping it in storage for years just on the off-chance that (a) one of my daughters might get married one day (b) she might want to wear a white wedding dress © she will be of a size and shape to suit the dress (d) she will have similar taste to me and (e) it won't be completely out of fashion. :)

My mum kept hers carefully for years and years, then tossed it without ever asking her daughters. She also tossed all her old evening dresses, which she'd made herself, without once showing us.

So, whether you pull it out for them to play with or not, don't do what my mum did!

Rosie

I still have my dress and it certainly could still be used today, but I have no intension of saving it for DD since I know that there is very little chance that she'd wear it. I'm just waiting for the right idea to strike for a meaningful repurpose.

We have my Grandma's beautiful silk dress from the 1930's, my Mom's from the 70's and mine from 2000. I'd love to either add my dd's dress to the collections someday or have her wear one of ours!

I would have liked to wear my Grandma's, but it was the depression and she was skinny as a rail post. There was no way it would fit.

Well, when we were going to have the 'biggie' wedding, my plan was just to rent a dress. You can get beautiful dresses that costs thousands and thousands of dollars and rent them for just a few hundred. My friend did it and it was a great idea.

Part of the appeal to me was of course the money, but a huge part was also not having this dress just laying around forever and not knowing what to do with it. Use it and give it back!

A year before we had the 'biggie' wedding, we decided to get married then for business reasons. We had a 15 person backyard quickie wedding (and my son showed up a quick 5 YEARS later, so it wasn't one of those quickie weddings! LOL!). I wore a regular dress, bought at the mall. It just hung in a closet, and when my son was finally born, I wanted him to have godparents, so we got him baptized and I cut up my just hanging around dress to make his christening outfit.

I have mine preserved. I would love to have worn my mother's dress, had she saved it. My daughter may choose to wear it or she may choose to have some parts remade. One of my friends from college wore her mother's dress and she looked beautiful. It was so different than what was out there at the time.

Oh and about the style never coming back in?? What has happened lately? I never thought low-rise jeans and bell bottoms would ever come back in style. I never thought those colors would ever come back. Never say never:).

Just kidding. But I do still have it and I have no idea why. I just like having it. I have all sons and no nieces, so no one wants to play dress up in it or make it into doll dresses or anything.

I got married in 1994 and the fashion in dresses was pretty "big" still. I am small boned and narrow, and I did not want to have those huge sleeves, so I had a dress hand made, and it's very beautiful and elegant. I still thing it's something a bride could wear - kind of timeless.

My mom bought my dress for me. She was in NY in the garment district and we had been talking about the styles I liked. She called me in my dorm room to ask if I was okay with her buying it for me. She insisted that if I didn't like it, we'd just sell it and I could still get my own. I loved it!

It's still "preserved" in the box and we keep moving it and hanging on to it. Why? It seems so pointless! My wedding was in 1988 and I can't imagine a circumstance where my dd will want to wear it. It's so hopelessly 80's! I want her to NOT have that pressure. But I guess it would make me sad to just throw it away. I actually like the idea of donating it to a drama department. Somewhere in a box I do still have my garter and shoes and handkerchief. And I have the cake servers that my mom and dad used - those were engraved on one side with their names and date, and on the other with ours. So it's not like I don't have any keepsakes for my dd.

Besides, my dd is such a fashion diva I can see us making a trip to Kleinfeld's in NY and her having to have a $5000 dress. She had better start saving now!!

Ok I'm convinced. I'll get it out for the girls if my husband doesn't have a fit over it. :lol: Somehow, it never occured to me way back then that I could just get it cleaned if by some crazy chance my girls want to wear it.

Funny things do come back in fashion but these giant sleeves? Well maybe they could chop off the sleeves and make it pretty. But I do love the idea of having it out for them to see and play in. They love looking at our wedding pics and I know they will love my shoes. They were lace tennis shoes with sequins and fake diamonds all over. I was a very comfy bride. :)

Edited by Wyndie

All you who have your gowns preserved in a box: You are aware of the big scam out there, right? Many brides open their boxes years later to find them empty. I know, I know, I'm sure it's nowhere near most and it's not likely this is true of yours, but I can see how this is a perfect scam opportunity in the making ("Don't open the box or the whatsits in the air will turn your dress yellow! Keep it sealed."). I'd be tempted to peak -- if mine weren't hanging in my closet in the original plastic bag. ;)

All you who have your gowns preserved in a box: You are aware of the big scam out there, right? Many brides open their boxes years later to find them empty. I know, I know, I'm sure it's nowhere near most and it's not likely this is true of yours, but I can see how this is a perfect scam opportunity in the making ("Don't open the box or the whatsits in the air will turn your dress yellow! Keep it sealed."). I'd be tempted to peak -- if mine weren't hanging in my closet in the original plastic bag. ;)

I have mine preserved, but the whole front of the box is seethrough...I can see it's in there :)

I put mine on every few years on our anniversary. Husband does the same with his tux. We freaked the kids out when we recently did this for the first time since they came about. Freaked them out more when I did some light cleaning in my dress. Welcome to reality, (esp) my dd! I may have been a pretty bride on Day 1, but the fact is, the carpet doesn't vacuum itself. :tongue_smilie:

Vacuuming was followed by splitting a bottle of champagne with my dh, so it was still a lovely afternoon. :)

The front of my box is seethrough as well so the dress is still in there. I can see that having the capacity to scam women out of their dresses though.

So those of you that have it out, do you just hang it with the rest of your clothes, is it in a special see-through bag, is it just out there with no protection? How do you keep it in your closet?

DH said I can get it out so I'm taking it out tonight! The kids are so excited. :)

Mine too. I can see that it is my dress. I can even see the veil that I made. I've even gone through the process twice. The first time, my mom took my dress in for me. In the flood of 1996, my dress had fallen in the water in the basement, so I had to open it up to check for damage. It did get a little wet, so I had it redone.

Well I took it out. That was soooo fun! What memories it brought back up. I had forgotten just how beautiful the details are.

The zipper was broken - apparently during the cleaning. They used a safety pin to hold the back closed and it's been there for 16 years so it has 2 rusty spots from that and the broken zipper. The girls can't wait for me to get the zipper replaced so they can play in it.

Edited by Wyndie
fixed some bad grammar