Menu

Book a Week in 2009 * Week 50 Book 51 *

Posting a bit early since I won't be online Thursday. Thursday is the start of Week 50 in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and starting book # 51. We are winding down the year with 2 weeks left and heading towards our goal of reading 52 books for the year.

I'm currently reading Cold Blooded by Lisa Jackson. It's interesting and the villain is really creepy. It's one of those books that you have to be in the mood for it.

Since we have two weeks left in our quest to read 52 books, how about giving some thought to what books you really enjoyed and what books you didn't. I'll be posting a final wrap up 'how did you do, what did you think, what would you have done differently, new author discoveries, etc. post when all is said and done.

And while you are putting together your lists for next year, I have a few discoveries I posted about on 52 books.

It's one week to Christmas. Are you buying books for the holidays and what are you reading this week? That is if you have time to read while preparing for Christmas. :)

This week I am indulging in Busman's Holiday by Dorothy Sayers. I have read many more than 52 books so far this year, but they did not match my original list very frequently. So many things change during the course of a year. This year I am choosing genres and themes and then reading what I want when I want. I will keep track of the titles and genres/themes and try to balance things out a bit. I still have the more daunting WEM titles to approach (again), and now that my sons have finished their Great Books courses I am on my own.

I am starting on my Ed. Therapy certification courses, so my reading time will be decreasing a bit in '10.

Still working on The Lost City of Z. (I've kind of stalled out because of being so busy right now.) Hopefully, I'll finish it over the next few days.

"From Publishers Weekly:

Starred Review. In 1925, renowned British explorer Col. Percy Harrison Fawcett embarked on a much publicized search to find the city of Z, site of an ancient Amazonian civilization that may or may not have existed. Fawcett, along with his grown son Jack, never returned, but that didn't stop countless others, including actors, college professors and well-funded explorers from venturing into the jungle to find Fawcett or the city. Among the wannabe explorers is Grann, a staff writer for the New Yorker, who has bad eyes and a worse sense of direction. He became interested in Fawcett while researching another story, eventually venturing into the Amazon to satisfy his all-consuming curiosity about the explorer and his fatal mission. Largely about Fawcett, the book examines the stranglehold of passion as Grann's vigorous research mirrors Fawcett's obsession with uncovering the mysteries of the jungle. By interweaving the great story of Fawcett with his own investigative escapades in South America and Britain, Grann provides an in-depth, captivating character study that has the relentless energy of a classic adventure tale."

I've got Busman's Honeymoon ready to take on our Christmas vacation. I've been tempted to pick it up and start it now, but we'll be in the airplane for hours so I need to save it to keep me entertained while I'm trapped in coach. A clerk in a local independent book store pressed a paperback into my hands, gushing with enthusiasm over it, so I bought it but am so far not enthralled. Called The Lies of Locke Lamora, it is a sci-fi book that is part Oliver Twist, part Artemis Fowl but supposedly filled with intrigue and plot twists. I'll take it along, too, and see if it improves further along.

I asked Santa for Sue Grafton's newest book - U is for Undertow, and for a few other titles, including Ree's cookbook. I bought my 14yo ds Flatland for Christmas along with a logic puzzle book called something like "The Alien IQ Test".

I'll try to post next week with a list of hits and misses and recommendations!

Here are my last three:

#59 - Christmas Jars, by Jason F. Wright - short, quick reading, good Christmas story but not the page-turner that reviews made it sound like

#60 - The Guardian, by Nicholas Sparks - involved a stalker and even though it was first and foremost a love story, I still made sure I finished this in the daylight:001_huh:

#61 - The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson - did this for family reading - hilarious!

Currently reading "Men of Kent" by Elizabeth Gibson. Read this years ago and did not like it. Don't know why I kept it but decided to re-read it before giving it away. Now, so far, I am enjoying it!:001_huh: It is a novel of the English Civil War, and I remember nothing from the first reading except not liking it!

Finished The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon. It was an interesting & enjoyable read, esp. if you love reading about explorers & archaeologists. I always find it fascinating to read about the conditions in which these folks worked/lived in the name of their explorations. It also has some interesting info at the end about current exploration & excavation going on in a particular area of the Amazon, though it really just touches on what a particular archaeologist has been uncovering. (I'm off to look up the archaeologist's published work next, though I'm not sure how 'accessible' it will be. I'm guessing it will be a fairly technical book as it was probably written for peers rather than for a general audience like The Lost City of Z was.) Reading this has also reminded me that I want to read 1491: New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus. Perhaps I'll tackle that one soon.

As far as this overall genre of books, I have read better (more exciting/better written) books than The Lost City of Z. Two that come to mind are: Into Thin Air and Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone.