Menu

Soapstone countertops?

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I have Silestone countertops.

I'm VERY happy with them. I can take a hot pan out of the oven and place it right on the counter. They still look like new after several years of tough use.

The only thing I might caution you-- if you're looking at one that is comparably close to the price of granite, as ours was, you might get a better value for resale with granite. People aren't as familiar w silestone and often don't realize it costs as much in some cases.

Check out the Kitchen forums at Garden Web. When we remodeled our kitchen there was a ton of talk about soapstone. We opted for granite, so I don't know a lot about soapstone, but it was very popular with the highend, white cabinet type of kitchens.

Also, if I remember correctly, someone there actually got there soapstone from a lab for pennies on the dollar! That was over a year ago, so you might have to poke around to get the scoop on that.

I insisted on it when we built this house (had granite in the last house - waaay too much trouble). I've been using it for over 3 years now.

I absolutely love it! You can use absolutely anything to clean it (bleach, ammonia based products, pure HCL if you wanted). You can put hot items directly from the oven onto it. I also had my sink (a farmer's kitchen style sink with an apron) done out of the same material and I love, love, love it. Wouldn't trade my choice for anything.

The only thing I was impatient about was the patina. It darkens over time naurally, but I didn't want to wait so I sped the process up by applying mineral oil to the countertop once a week (apply it with a cloth, let it soak in, then wipe off the excess).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I would get soapstone in a heartbeat. We just redid our counters and got granite, but if I could have gotten soapstone for the same price, I would have.

I ended up paying less for my soapstone. My builder ended up giving me a refund for the kitchen countertop allotment (he had allotted for granite). Now, I had to wrest control of this from my builder; do my own research/shopping, get my own samples, talk to the company who would accept delivery and make the cuts, etc. The builder tried everything trying to talk me out of it. He even tried the "it'll be more expensive" routine with me. My research proved otherwise.

I ended up paying less for my soapstone. My builder ended up giving me a refund for the kitchen countertop allotment (he had allotted for granite). Now' date=' I had to wrest control of this from my builder; do my own research/shopping, get my own samples, talk to the company who would accept delivery and make the cuts, etc. The builder tried everything trying to talk me out of it. He even tried the "it'll be more expensive" routine with me. My research proved otherwise.[/quote']

Wow, good for you. I do love the granite that we ended up with - got an exotic that was normally $90 sq ft for $48, but there's something about soapstone that I really like. Couldn't find it in that price range around here though. Perhaps I gave up too easily in my search...

Wow, good for you. I do love the granite that we ended up with - got an exotic that was normally $90 sq ft for $48, but there's something about soapstone that I really like. Couldn't find it in that price range around here though. Perhaps I gave up too easily in my search...

at a granite store, ask to see their "graveyard." That's where they keep the leftover pieces/disgards from other projects. Depending on the size of the slab to begin with, there can be some sizable pieces leftover. (Little known fact here: When you order granite, you're actually paying for the entire slab, whether you use the whole thing or not.) They will not show you the graveyard unless you ask to see it. The store we used had their graveyard in the shop area and we had to don earplugs to get a look.

We were able to find slabs the right size/coloration for the remainder of our house when we built it. I'm talking laundry room, kids bathrooms, our bathroom, guest bathroom, and pantry. I ended up paying less for granite that I would have formica for all of those rooms.