Menu

Is the movie "300" good?

It is good, it is very graphic with some graphic tea scenes.

If you don't like that sort of thing I would recommend avoiding it.

It is by the same author that wrote Sin City.

What she said. :glare:

DH liked the story a lot, but........

PS: DH has a "Molon Labe!" patch on his bike messenger bag -- the term made famous at the battle of Thermopolae. The movie has a seriously high manly factor.

Edited by BikeBookBread

So are there a lot of tea scenes?

The Oracle is a young-ish nude, writhing girl. There is a tea scene between Leonidas and his queen, Gorgo. There is scene between Gorgo and Theron where she offers herself to him in exhange for his support but the scene between them is not shown. There is some nudity and such in the camp of Xerxes. That's all I can recall.

The Oracle is a young-ish nude, writhing girl. There is a tea scene between Leonidas and his queen, Gorgo. There is scene between Gorgo and Theron where she offers herself to him in exhange for his support but the scene between them is not shown. There is some nudity and such in the camp of Xerxes. That's all I can recall.

The scene with Xerxes' camp is a bit strange. It looks like some sort of "freak show." That is the part of the movie I disliked. If I could cut anything from that movie it would be that. It bugged me but hey I am a bleeding heart so whatever :lol:

I normally like action movies, I enjoy that time period, and with Gerard Butler, I figured I'd love it. Wrong! I found the plot boring, to be honest, and I HATED the coloring of the whole thing. It was shot in some strange onrangy color that really messed with my eyes. Dh said he *would* have liked the movie except for the odd color. Blech!

I normally like action movies, I enjoy that time period, and with Gerard Butler, I figured I'd love it. Wrong! I found the plot boring, to be honest, and I HATED the coloring of the whole thing. It was shot in some strange onrangy color that really messed with my eyes. Dh said he *would* have liked the movie except for the odd color. Blech!

I tried to watch it when it was on TV the other day. I hated the coloring, almost cartoonish look. I lasted about five minutes and normally I'll like action and anything with Gerard Butler.

What she said. :glare:

DH liked the story a lot, but........

PS: DH has a "Molon Labe!" patch on his bike messenger bag -- the term made famous at the battle of Thermopolae. The movie has a seriously high manly factor.

Okay, I thought I was pretty with it as far as ancient history, but what does "Molon Labe" mean? :o and how would I pronounce it?

Okay, I thought I was pretty with it as far as ancient history, but what does "Molon Labe" mean? :o and how would I pronounce it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ, pronounced mo-lone lah-veh means "come and take them!" Kind of like, "Bring it on!!!" or "over my dead body!!!" It's a cry of military defiance against the enemy. Others may have more insight!

I loved it. One of my guilty pleasures is to borrow some of my dad's "manly" movies every few months and watch them one after another. Every night for a few days I'll be locked up in my room waching 300, Troy, Alexander, Gladiator, Braveheart, Kill Bill 1 and 2, etc... :blushing:

I wasnt expecting to like it- I went to see it with dh and another man, and our son, and I was just going along for the ride. But I ended up thoroughly enjoying myself.

Ds14 absolutely loves the 300, and quotes the movie and remembers lots of it (Hes probably seen it 3 or 4 times now). Things like that really help him get handles on certian parts of history (even if they arent totally accurate).

I tried to watch it when it was on TV the other day. I hated the coloring, almost cartoonish look. I lasted about five minutes and normally I'll like action and anything with Gerard Butler.

The original book is a comic book. They were imitating the comic book art.

They did the same thing with the other movie they made with his work, Sin City.

I thought it was beautiful.

*my geek slip is showing*

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ, pronounced mo-lone lah-veh means "come and take them!" Kind of like, "Bring it on!!!" or "over my dead body!!!" It's a cry of military defiance against the enemy. Others may have more insight!

Yes, the Persians demanded the Spartans lay down their arms. This was the Spartan response. Great link, Mrs. Mungo.

I wanted to like '300'. I knew it was going to be in graphic novel-style, but it was just so over the top. :tongue_smilie: I thought it was lame.

I did enjoy a recommendation here for a novel about the Battle of Thermopylae, 'The Gates of Fire' by Stephen Pressfield.

I loved it. One of my guilty pleasures is to borrow some of my dad's "manly" movies every few months and watch them one after another. Every night for a few days I'll be locked up in my room waching 300, Troy, Alexander, Gladiator, Braveheart, Kill Bill 1 and 2, etc... :blushing:

I really like those movies too except for Kill Bill 1 & 2 and 300. Those three movies just annoy me. But I very much love Troy, Alexander, Gladiator, and Braveheart.

I really like those movies too except for Kill Bill 1 & 2 and 300. Those three movies just annoy me. But I very much love Troy, Alexander, Gladiator, and Braveheart.

I think in order to enjoy Kill Bill you must have watched a number of Japanese movies. I don't think you appreciate it unless you have. They are so melodramatic, over the top, it's such a good parody of/homage to those types of movies. I loved it.

I think in order to enjoy Kill Bill you must have watched a number of Japanese movies. I don't think you appreciate it unless you have. They are so melodramatic, over the top, it's such a good parody of/homage to those types of movies. I loved it.

Good example is King Fu Hustle. I NEVER thought I would enjoy this movie, but I did! It was side-splittingly funny in parts, but grossly violent. I wouldn't watch it again or buy it, but it was very interesting.

I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (different genre), The Golden somethingorother, and a few other Chinese martial arts movies, because they were just so beautifully made.

Good example is King Fu Hustle. I NEVER thought I would enjoy this movie, but I did! It was side-splittingly funny in parts, but grossly violent. I wouldn't watch it again or buy it, but it was very interesting.

I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (different genre), The Golden somethingorother, and a few other Chinese martial arts movies, because they were just so beautifully made.

I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and I loved Iron Monkey. I also loved a lot of the old Jackie Chan movies like Drunken Master. I don't like films that are just violent to show violence just I don't like gore that is just for the purpose of being gore. I just didn't like either of the Kill Bills or 300. Half way through those movies I just have to shut it off. They are headache inducing for me.