Menu

Runners what are your race plans/goals this year?

lynn

This year was such a breakthrough year in my running that I don't have many plans firmly in place for 2010. I was planning to qualify for Boston in March, 2010 at the Shamrock Marathon, but did that a few weeks ago at the Rehoboth Marathon.

So, loosely, in my discussions with my dh, I have decided to concentrate on getting faster. I liked the marathon length, but don't like the total amount of time it took me to get marathon-ready (and I did about the minimum mileage possible). So, if I can do the same mileage a bit faster, I'll feel like I'm ahead of the game. :)

What I like so much about running is that it is a sport that can fit almost anyone. The trick is to figure out where the sweet spot is for your body/mind. Someone who specializes in 5Ks is no less a runner than someone who specializes in marathons. :coolgleamA:

I'm just starting to consider myself a runner, although it seems a little weird to type it and I've never said it out loud. Anyway, I'm training for my first 5k in April, still on week 4 of cp25k, but I think tomorrow I will attempt week 5. I'm up to running steady at about 4.6 mph with 5.6 mph sprints. I'm hoping to finish that 5k in under 40 minutes, I'm at 0:50:43 as of yesterday. Those of you who have met me IRL should be impressed. :lol: Funny thing is I think I love running. I don't love it when I'm doing it yet, but I love how I feel after finishing.

I would like to do a 5k in the spring, and I want to do our town's 5k in Sept. I would also like to do a 10k at some point, but I haven't nailed that one down. I would like to do a 1/2 marathon next November in Philly. My dh wants to run the marathon, and I'm trying to decide it I will have what it takes to finish a 1/2. I think I can do it, but I will have to work at it. :D I can run 3 to 4 miles at a 12:00 minute pace. I just did 5 miles last week at a 12:30 pace, but I did take a slight break in between mile 2 and 3 to take off my jacket. It has been a struggle for me to get this far, so in my head a 1/2 marathon seems very ambitious.

I found out today they are having one "in my backyard". The start/finish is only like 7 miles from my house. How can I not do it? It's even on a mostly soft surface and fairly flat. I'd love to take another 1/2 hour off my time, but I'll be happy to get under 5 hours again.

Like the shirt says "if it wasn't for me, you'd have no one to pass!"

What a fun thread! I love reading about what all of you have planned!

I'm running my first half marathon next month at Disney. I've found I really don't like the time it's taken to get myself ready for that distance. I don't like getting up early (like, before dawn) to start my runs. I don't like training so hard in the COLD weather. December is SUCH a busy time. It's just too hard to be in the middle of my long runs when I have SO much to do! After next Sat. I start my taper though. It'll all be worth it in the end!

After that, I have no plans! I'm sure I'll run our local 10K in September. I'll probably run the Detroit Marathon Relay again too. Who knows what else??

I have not run in over a year. I have been so overwhelmed with so many things (like a lot of people). However, in two weeks, I will start going to the gym with my DH and begin training for a marathon. I'm hoping running every day again will help me feel normal. I have been really "off" this last year.

Running frees my mind and helps me connect with God, as I use that time to pray and keep centered. (and to get away from everyone to get some peace and quiet :D)

I WILL complete a marathon in May. Notice I said complete. Somehow, someway, I will make it across that finish line. I may have to roll part of the way, but I'm gonna do it! I'd like to run a half sometime in March as an indicator of my progress. On the 4th of July, my town does a 5K, 10K, and half. I'm thinking I'll do either the 10K or half. If I haven't died, I am also considering a half or full marathon in September. There are a few shorter races here and there I may do, but those are my lofty goals for the year.

I'd like to do this one day or at least the Expedition Everest Challenge which sounds like fun although it's prolly rilly hot :D

Is this a full marathon? I clicked on the link, but it was info about last year's race. I hope to run the Princess Half Marathon one year too. They're just such fun races!

I have not run in over a year. I have been so overwhelmed with so many things (like a lot of people). However, in two weeks, I will start going to the gym with my DH and begin training for a marathon. I'm hoping running every day again will help me feel normal. I have been really "off" this last year.

Running frees my mind and helps me connect with God, as I use that time to pray and keep centered. (and to get away from everyone to get some peace and quiet :D)

:grouphug::grouphug: I know how you feel about running. I hate it when I have to get up so early to do it, but once I'm out there, all is good again!

Well, I'm doing my first half-marathon at DisneyWorld in March so that's my main goal for 2010! Absolutely, positively, cannot WAIT for that one!

I'm considering a 10K on New Years Day, and my BFF (who I got into running in 2009) wants to do the Peachtree Road Race on the 4th of July if we can get a spot in it. It's a 10K with 55,000 people in downtown Atlanta, and it's a big deal. If the half-marathon in March goes well, I might do the Atlanta half-marathon on Thanksgiving Day. I really enjoy participating in races, so I'll probably throw a couple of 5Ks in there for good measure!

I bought a bike to use for cross-training, and I'm thinking about doing a "My First Triathlon" in 2011, so I would need to use 2010 to learn how to bike and swim effectively.

I also like having goals and races to keep me motivated on those cold/hot days! :)

Is this a full marathon? I clicked on the link, but it was info about last year's race. I hope to run the Princess Half Marathon one year too. They're just such fun races!

No - it's a 5K, followed by an obstacle course, then scavenger hunt.

PS:

Yum, here's a new one: Disney Wine and Dine half marathon

Edited by Karenciavo

I've just started running so very new at all this! I have my first 5K planned for March. I'd like to do a 10K sometime in the summer... then I **think** a half in October, probably with some short races thrown in there... learning to run has been a huge struggle for me, but I'm making progress. This past week I did 3 miles in 40 min. which was a minor miracle! ;-) Now, if I'd quit feasting on Christmas cookies I know I'd have some better runs!

Oh, and I'm so proud of my oldest ds... he has started running too and plans to do the 5k with me in March. He ran 3 miles last week as well it took him longer, but he did it! We have some "kids races" in town over the summer and we're going to get our kids in those... they can run as young as 2! Very laid back and fun to introduce the kids to running. I'm looking forward to us doing these as a family! In my family growing up activity was never encouraged so this is new ground for me.

Edited by robsiew

This past week I did 3 miles in 40 min. which was a minor miracle! ;-) Now, if I'd quit feasting on Christmas cookies I know I'd have some better runs!

Congratulations :001_smile: I made a deal with myself that I can have *no* Christmas cookies till I run week 5 of cp25k. Time is running out! :drool5:

Congratulations :001_smile: I made a deal with myself that I can have *no* Christmas cookies till I run week 5 of cp25k. Time is running out! :drool5:

Great use of that smiley! You have much more resolve than me! We made a big batch of cut outs and I just need them gone! They weren't "beautiful" enough to pass out... unless you're the type that likes frosting piled high kind of the color of paint all mixed together! :ack2: My **almost** 6 yo ds made one and called it "the spooky train" because he had mixed all the colors together. Hee, hee....

Oh, and I'm so proud of my oldest ds... he has started running too and plans to do the 5k with me in March. He ran 3 miles last week as well it took him longer, but he did it! We have some "kids races" in town over the summer and we're going to get our kids in those... they can run as young as 2! Very laid back and fun to introduce the kids to running. I'm looking forward to us doing these as a family! In my family growing up activity was never encouraged so this is new ground for me.

My big kids (and hubby) did Couch to 5K and ran their first 5K this past weekend! They all did a REALLY good job, despite the fact that they complained horribly every single training run. My 10 year old daughter got 3rd place in her age group, and my 13 year old son missed 3rd by only 20 seconds! It was awesome!!

My big kids (and hubby) did Couch to 5K and ran their first 5K this past weekend! They all did a REALLY good job, despite the fact that they complained horribly every single training run. My 10 year old daughter got 3rd place in her age group, and my 13 year old son missed 3rd by only 20 seconds! It was awesome!!

Sounds like fun for everyone! Oh how I wish I lived somewhere it wasn't below 0 so I could run outside!!

I plan on my first 10K in May and September then a half marathon in the rocket city marathon next December, hopefully with my sister.

I took off 6 months while I was enduring separation/divorce. Baaaaaad idea in case anyone is considering it. I started up a few weeks ago and plan to get back to semi serious and do a 5K in March in Little Rock with my friend. Oh, and ds9 wants to do it with me! He asked if he had to 'wait' on me. LOL

I took off 6 months while I was enduring separation/divorce. Baaaaaad idea in case anyone is considering it. I started up a few weeks ago and plan to get back to semi serious and do a 5K in March in Little Rock with my friend. Oh, and ds9 wants to do it with me! He asked if he had to 'wait' on me. LOL

My soon to be 8 year old can out run me, by a lot. My dh can still beat him, but we know that will not be for long.

Enjoy running together.