Menu

a strange thing happened tonight

I was driving home from a Christmas-related Secret Mission with my son, and suddenly found myself passing right by the Lakewood Police Station, where the four slain police officers worked. I am not familiar with that neighborhood, so I did not realize I was so close. I had an immediate adrenaline rush, and my heart was pounding all the way home. It is strange how our bodies react. I mean, thinking about the tragedy is one thing, but seeing the place was different. I couldn't shake this feeling, in my body, not quite fear, but something intense, and a sense of the fragility of our lives.

Have you had an experience like this?

Yes. Drink lots to help the extra cortisol get out of your body. In my experience it can make you feel a bit sick afterward.

It has been amazing how the community has rallied around those police officers' families, isn't it.

Thank you. I did not think about that, staying hydrated.

Yes, it has been amazing. The traffic was slowed past the station, and the flowers and candles are still there.