Menu

Having problems with FLL3... any solution?

Mommy22alyns

FLL 3 just seems to get very... long and boring. :001_huh: Becca gets tired of the repetition and zips ahead on the diagramming. We're on lesson 39 and have interspersed the dictionary and oral usage lessons. I just asked her point blank if she liked grammar and she said that it's fine if I gave her more fun stuff to do.

Shall we just trudge onward, or is there a better option out there? Or is this just pre-Christmas curriculum restlessness?

There is a lot of repetition isn't there? We are into FLL 4 now. I go ahead and let her do the diagramming on her own - I'm definitely not going thru all the questions to walk her through it.

With repeating definitions - if she can say it once from memory than we go on in the lesson.

Alot of time I find myself reading very quickly through the review material.

At least the lessons tell you if they contain review or new material - you could use that to judge how quickly to go through the lesson.

I really enjoy using FLL and prefer it over R&S 3 and 4 - So I stick with it despite the repetition. I know that she is getting a great understanding of grammar and it is easy and not hard to implement and no complaining from the student (yes!).

Isn't the repetition one of the strong points of FLL? Many grammar programs don't have you start a child in 1st grade - so by starting so early you end up going over things repeatedly in order for it to become second nature (or as close to it as can be in ea. child's case). Even Abeka doesn't start introducing parts of speech until 3rd grade and it was one of the rec's before FLL came out. I imagine it may get boring by the 4th year, but it sounds like you've figured out the closest thing to a solution for your dd - ask for definitions and if she's got it, then on to the next thing. Would mad libs and schoolhouse rock help to mix it up or is that too young for levels 3 & 4?

You're in the last stretch, there's no FLL5, so you'll be onto somethine else before you know it, and her foundation will be well laid for whatever you choose. Jmho, of course.

We are just starting Shurley because i could not stomach all of the repetition in FLL. I would have driven me nuts and my DD towards a hatred for grammar! I don't think it is the best thing for bright/accelerated kids who don't need all that practice. We are going to do a year or 2 of Shurley before moving on to MCT. Have you looked at MCT at all? or Shurley?

I have FLL3 to use for next year with a third grader. He's very bright and he really doesn't need the repetition in FLL1 and 2, but we've gone through it, consolidating a lot.

I think it's great when kids can be advanced but I'm curious what the benefit would be to getting ahead in grammar at this age? Not that it's bad, it's just maybe not necessary.

:lurk5: for other replies.

Penelope, i have to agree with your comments about getting ahead at this age, what is the point? For me personally i can see the my DD is going to begin writing early, she is writing already! I would like to have her toolbox full of important things like spelling and grammar so there is a natural flow to her writing when she really takes off with it. I wouldn't say that i am in a rush, but she is and she is desperate the get the tools she needs to help her so the creativity can flow and not be caught up with how to spell the word or if the grammar of the sentence is correct, yes she edits her own work, changed tenses, pluralises etc. Once she is writing the way she wants then i will ask her to slow it down, plus i think she will realise by then that there is no urgency anymore because she will be grounded in the basics and her writing will be OK. I realise that this isn't the normal child, but this is why we are speeding up grammar at my house atleast in the short term.

Edited by Amber in AUS

I'm on FLL3 as well, and love the repetition in it. Many times we don't need quite as much repetition, and I adjust accordingly. But I think it lends itself to that flexibility. It's quick and easy to do, and provides a fantastic grammar base, which I know will be an incredible benefit to them.

5-10 mins quick repetition now vs 30 mins of intense learning later? Slow and steady for me!