Menu

Silly boys while trying to do science & history WWYD??

My dds 8 & 10 are making me crazy. I try to do their science and history together, and they make it impossible. They mess with each other or just mess instead of paying attention - I'm only talking about 10-20 minutes. I have no patience left anymore. I have no idea how to stop the behavior. Any suggestions??:confused:

Edited by azmom

My boys are younger ( 5 & 6) but I have this problem, too. I made them write sentences the other day. "I will be respectful." It shaped them up. That day. When I was teaching school and my class got out of hand I'd make them put their heads down or I'd have them do guided exercises to get them to focus on me. THat helped.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried some of them, but nothing seems to work long term. I think I'm just going to split them up for awhile and make the older one do independent reading and written summaries. Maybe, if I'm lucky, he will decide it is much better to have me involved.

Hmmm... guess I'm not the only one with this problem. :tongue_smilie: This is the year I realized that combining dc on lessons isn't always the time-saver I'd expect. :glare:

Part of the problem here could be the physical activity thing...we don't have the dc enrolled in any lessons (excpet B's violin lessons--but that's not very physical) this year, and it's been pretty yucky out lately, so sending them out to play hasn't worked either.

I've started separating them for the lessons I'd planned on doing together. They do still listen to history together (because we listen to the SOTW audio CD in the car) but do the mapwork on their own. Same for NOEO science. I used to read it aloud to them and then have them do their notebook pages. I got sick of the squabbling/goofing and now just have them read on their own (at separate times--usually when the other brother is working on TT math.) I had planned about half of our subjects as "together" subjects this year to save time; next year (and years following--until the goofing-off-together dynamic changes) I think I'll be keeping those to a minimum. ;)

Must be the age. My 9 and 8 yr old boys do like to mess with each other during lessons. Used to drive me nuts because I would plan on history taking 45 minutes, but they would delay, whine, fuss, play, fill in the blank and 90 minutes would be gone. Completely threw me off my game. A few months ago, I told them that whatever time they waste, they have to make up on the weekend. I plan for 45 minutes for history. If they don't get it done, we stop and they have to do it on Saturday.

(This only counts if they don't get it done because of poor behavior. If we're getting into great discussion or there is some legitimate reason, then we just finish the work.)

They've only had to finish on Saturdays a couple of times. They get the message pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

I have been known to send one son out of the room to read while I finish a lesson with the other. The work becomes a responsibility during free time for the offender.

I also make them do push ups when they get out of line. For big infractions they have to run down the stairs in the apartment and then run back up. A tired kid is less likely to poke his sibling.

We also had some pretty good effect from using the program The Young Peacemaker by Sande. It is a Christian curriculum about conflict resolution. When the boys were bugging each other I'd refer to the key phrases from the Peacemaker program. Did help.

My dds 8 & 10 are making me crazy. I try to do their science and history together, and they make it impossible. They mess with each other or just mess instead of paying attention - I'm only talking about 10-20 minutes. I have no patience left anymore. I have no idea how to stop the behavior. Any suggestions??:confused:

Send them to the principal (daddy)?