Menu

Switching from Spelling to Vocab

kls126s

My dd is a natural speller - just one of those intuitively-gets-it kind of spellers. I have had her doing SWO just so she has something independent to do while I work with my son, but I let her go at her own pace on it and she's flying through it. She's almost done with book D and although I have book E ready, I'm wondering at what point do I give up on Spelling as a specific subject and have her start doing vocabulary study instead?

She reads voraciously and very well and already has a good vocabulary because of that. She loves learning new words. She is 7 and doing mostly 2nd grade work.

SO - two questions

1. When do you switch from spelling to vocabulary?
  2. What vocabulary program would you recommend for a younger student on a pretty rigorous path?

:bigear:

Well, I can tell you what I did with my natural speller. I didn't stop formal spelling study, as I felt it would benefit my dd to continue to learn spelling rules and patterns---- I just shifted the focus a bit. We continued with SWO and A Beka (both include vocabulary as the levels increase). But, I added in word root study. We used Critical Thinking's Word Roots software, English From the Roots Up, and a couple of different word root card games. Studying Latin and Greek roots really helped my dd develop a love for words and language.

And, don't discount spelling bees if you think that may be something your dd would be interested in. Participating in and studying for bees really enriched my dd's vocabulary.

... and a couple of different word root card games. Studying Latin and Greek roots really helped my dd develop a love for words and language.

Do you happen to remember the card games you used?

And, don't discount spelling bees if you think that may be something your dd would be interested in. Participating in and studying for bees really enriched my dd's vocabulary.

Hadn't thought of that - good idea. I'll do some looking around.

I have two natural spellers and one not so much:001_smile:. I still have them go through all the levels of SWO, my eldest is in currently in G, as they learn latin roots, prefixes, suffixes, etc. and I add in Wordly Wise for vocab. They also get vocabulary through an outsourced IEW class. After SWO H I plan on going to Vocab. Roots or whatever that program is called.