Menu

What do you get the parents that have everything?

If is were a good daughter I would have done something creative like make a calendar with pictures of my kids to give to my parents, but I'm not. I've given them every "English" thing I can think of. A couple of times I was visiting them near Christmas time and was able to notice things they needed and get those for them, but I didn't notice anything this last trip that they 'needed'. They have everything they need. And we can't afford to buy them something 'nice' that they don't need, ie: jewelry or fancy, luxury foods. We can afford a small, thoughtful gift, but I'm all out of thoughts on it. I'm very fortunate; they don't expect anything and are always appreciative of whatever we get them, but I'm absolutely stumped. Any ideas?

If is were a good daughter I would have done something creative like make a calendar with pictures of my kids to give to my parents, but I'm not. I've given them every "English" thing I can think of. A couple of times I was visiting them near Christmas time and was able to notice things they needed and get those for them, but I didn't notice anything this last trip that they 'needed'. They have everything they need. And we can't afford to buy them something 'nice' that they don't need, ie: jewelry or fancy, luxury foods. We can afford a small, thoughtful gift, but I'm all out of thoughts on it. I'm very fortunate; they don't expect anything and are always appreciative of whatever we get them, but I'm absolutely stumped. Any ideas?

I got my parents a gift card to the local movie theater, since they enjoy going to movies together.

I got my parents a gift card to the local movie theater, since they enjoy going to movies together.

:iagree: Something that gets used up, not adding to the clutter, and something that will give them a fun experience - movies, dinner, concert, sporting event, whatever kind of event they might like.

Having the same problem here. My parents eat out frequently and they have plenty of money so a gift card to a restaraunt is odd (for me anyway). Last year I got my parents an audio CD. Would have been a great idea-- except the woman at the bookstore recommended Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Yeah, it wasn't pretty. Parts were funny, but mostly it was kind of sad. What would have been perfect is this audio CD by Bill Bryson:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Times-Thunderbolt-Playaway-Ready/dp/1598953907/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260900925&sr=8-8

They've already heard it, though.

Margaret

Well, I sent my dad a calendar of dd! LOL

In the past, I've done home made gifts, like rag quilts, fleece scarves, pillow-blankets (you fold the blanket up into a pocket and it's a pillow). My parents don't need anything, so it's hard to get them something they'd like. Something with the kids' pictures on it always seems to be a hit.

In the past I've made scrap books for my parents-baby pictures, early wedding pictures, family pictures. I've also found postcards on E-bay of towns where they grew up and framed them. The postcards are super cheap, but shipping may be an issue this close to the holidays. I was surprised how easy it was to find a post card from a town of 750 in rural Missouri (U.S.)! This year I'm giving my dad an empty scrapbook with a homemade gift certificate for transcription services (me) for his mom's old correspondence which is in pencil and fading fast.

HTH

Guest Alte Veste Academy

You could find a local playhouse, dinner theatre, Broadway traveling show, ballet, symphony and buy them tickets to an event. For my mom last year, I bought her tickets to see the Moscow Ballet perform The Nutcracker. It wasn't too terribly expensive either.

Well, my parents don't need anything material and I live 1700 miles away, so I can't do "doing" gifts for tham. And craftiness is severely sporadic for me, sorry.

So ... I give them a lot of restaurant gift cards. Not very imaginative, but it is something they will actually benefit from.

Karen

LOL I have the same problems as so many of you. We're 3000 miles away, so 'doing' gifts are out. They go out to restaurants frequently, so GC isn't all that special. There's no way that I could throw together a homemade gift and get it there even close to on time. I have to find something that I can order on-line and have delivered to their house. I know, I should have planned ahead. Like I said, I'm a bad, bad daughter. They don't like to cook, don't listen to cd's, don't have a favorite t.v. show (other than HGTV and Fox News), don't go to the theatre/ballet/etc. Argh!

I bought my mom some new feeders at Wild Bird Unlimited. They have these cylinders you just place on the bird feeder instead of filling it with seed. I'll keep her stocked in cylinders for the year. Also, I bought her a little bird feeder that you fill with fruit - the display showed it filled with slices of apples, oranges and grapes.

http://www.shopwbu.com/products/productdetail/WBU+Seed+Cylinder+Bird+Feeder+-+Copper+Roof/part_number=1551/567.0.1.1.25206.42045.0.0.0?

http://www.shopwbu.com/products/productdetail/part_number=1591/567.0.1.1

Don't know if they'd be open to this, but what about a Da Vinci, cabinet-style frame (or 2) to hold their grandkids' artwork? http://www.dynamicframes.com/store/c/159-Kids-Art-Frame.aspx

I love the idea of being able to easily change what's on display while storing many others at once. Plus it looks neat and nice. Or look around the site...they have some for photos, too.

Well, maybe you can use some of these ideas for next year! :o For now, I send my in-laws a $40 basket of fruit and cheese from Harry and David. They love it and have requested it in the past. We enjoy our Reader's Digest magazine. My parents get a great mag called Reminesce (spelling?). It is just a compilation of cool stories from eras past. I really enjoy it as well.

Good luck!

This is perfect! They have lots of birds and birdfeeders around their house. This would be a great gift. I love the ideas of the DaVinci frame and photo stamps. Lots of those ideas would be great for next year. I'm going to have to print this thread. I hope I don't forget it by next year. Thanks everyone!

I bought my mom some new feeders at Wild Bird Unlimited. They have these cylinders you just place on the bird feeder instead of filling it with seed. I'll keep her stocked in cylinders for the year. Also, I bought her a little bird feeder that you fill with fruit - the display showed it filled with slices of apples, oranges and grapes.

http://www.shopwbu.com/products/productdetail/WBU+Seed+Cylinder+Bird+Feeder+-+Copper+Roof/part_number=1551/567.0.1.1.25206.42045.0.0.0?

http://www.shopwbu.com/products/productdetail/part_number=1591/567.0.1.1

I've ordered from Wolferman's and Harry & David's before.

Wolferman's has some wonderful gift baskets with english muffins, preserves, coffee, etc.

I have ordered my grandmother bulbs from Harry & David's. They came in a pretty container and would bloom at a later date.

A Christmas centerpiece from Proflowers or Telefloral is nice.

Gift cards are usually appreciated. Barnes & Noble if they love to read. A movie gift card or a favorite restaurant.

A magazine subscription.