Menu

If you're a serious hypoglycemic, what can you have for a snack or a treat??

I've known people over the course of my life who have told me they are hypoglycemic, and it only appears to mean they have to eat more often.

But we've made some friends here who are hypoglycemic and are *very* serious about how they eat.

I'd like to find something to give them at Christmas as a treat, but I've no idea what to make or purchase. I was thinking nuts, but I know they'd have to be the "right kind" of nuts. Same with fruit. I'm not terribly familiar with the glycemic index, so I'm not certain what would work.

Is anyone on this board familiar with hypoglycemia and might have some ideas for something I could give as a treat?

Thanks! :)

I have lived with hypoglycemia for most of my life (started in my teens.) Basically, anything that falls in the "treat" category would probably be a no-no, but I define treat as something delicious, sugary and bad for me:).

Hypoglycemics should avoid eating too much sugar and too many carbs in one sitting. White flour and white rice are as bad as eating sugar. All carbs should be balanced with protein to prevent a peak and trough cycle. Think cheese and whole grain crackers. Yogurt (non-sweetened) and fruit or cereal (whole grain of course.) Apple and peanut butter. Like you said, they need to spread their meals out so that they don't go too long without eating.

Oh, I just thought of something ... one treat we make for Christmas is our own trail mix. We get mixed nuts, raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries and some chocolate chips and mixed it together and bag it and put a pretty bow on it. I go pretty heavy on the nuts to make sure that it isn't too high in sugar.