Menu

For young students...SOTW enough? Or do I need a "curriculum"

rachelkelly3

Howdy all!

I am making the switch from Sonlight to classical education. And I have some questions!

1) Do my kids need a "curriculum" like Tapestry of Grace? They are 8, 7, 5, and 3. I was thinking (based on some online reviews) of just using SOTW and the activity guide at this age, and possibly integrating TOG when they get older. Is this wise?

2) Is there a science program you can recommend, in case I lack the *ahem* skills to bring together my own, based on WTM suggestions? :)

3) Is there a language arts program I should be using, or should we just wing it with reading, Spelling Workout, and First Language Lessons? FYI, when we tried First Language Lessons last year, the kids were NOT engaged. Maybe they were too young, though.

4) do I need the NEW WTM?? I have the older version, with an older man and boy with braces on it. Is the new version including new content??

and finally...

5) During WTM's recommended reading time (not the fun reading), do you have your kids read history books, science books, or...what?

I appreciate your input. I am taking my first tentative steps away from a rigidly planned curriculum and putting together my own, based on WTM, and I'm a bit nervous! :)

Oops, one more question. :) I read online that some people combine Mystery of History with SOTW because of gaps?? Do you do that??

Thanks!

Rachel

Howdy all!

I am making the switch from Sonlight to classical education. And I have some questions!

Welcome to the other side :)! We are former SL'ers also.

1) Do my kids need a "curriculum" like Tapestry of Grace? They are 8, 7, 5, and 3. I was thinking (based on some online reviews) of just using SOTW and the activity guide at this age, and possibly integrating TOG when they get older. Is this wise?

No, you don't need a separate curriculum, SOTW and the AG are more than enough for the first go around. You may want to add in a few books from the library, but the AG has plenty of suggestions for that. Also coming from SL you may want to add in some read-alouds. I usually use the SL catalog to pick those out. You can see how we do SOTW here.

2) Is there a science program you can recommend, in case I lack the *ahem* skills to bring together my own, based on WTM suggestions? :)

I recommend Elemental Science, but then again I'm a bit partial. You can also check out Real Science or Noeo.

3) Is there a language arts program I should be using, or should we just wing it with reading, Spelling Workout, and First Language Lessons? FYI, when we tried First Language Lessons last year, the kids were NOT engaged. Maybe they were too young, though.

If FLL didn't work out well, you could always try Rod & Staff or Growing with Grammar. You may also want to add a writing program like Writing with Ease.

4) do I need the NEW WTM?? I have the older version, with an older man and boy with braces on it. Is the new version including new content??

The newest edition does include new information, but we are doing just fine with the original WTM. I do plan on buying a new edition before we get to the logic stage and I've heard that section has alot of new information that is very helpful.

and finally...

5) During WTM's recommended reading time (not the fun reading), do you have your kids read history books, science books, or...what?

We do about half history/science related and half just good fiction books right now as we are still working on building reading confidence. My dd is 7 yo.

I appreciate your input. I am taking my first tentative steps away from a rigidly planned curriculum and putting together my own, based on WTM, and I'm a bit nervous! :)

Oops, one more question. :) I read online that some people combine Mystery of History with SOTW because of gaps?? Do you do that??

Nope, we don't. There are always going to be gaps and we've got two more rounds in which to try to fill them, so I don't really worry about covering everything now!

Thanks!

Rachel

Hope all the helps!

Howdy all!

I made that switch myself. I loved Sonlight for the younger years, but was happy to switch to TWTM when dd hit 3rd grade.

1) Do my kids need a "curriculum" like Tapestry of Grace? They are 8, 7, 5, and 3. I was thinking (based on some online reviews) of just using SOTW and the activity guide at this age, and possibly integrating TOG when they get older. Is this wise? SOTW is a complete history program--it would be too much to do SOTW plus something else. My kids do the reading and mapwork, and a couple activities for each chapter. It keeps us plenty busy. Often they also read some of the additional reading suggestions in the AG during their free reading time. We also like to read the suggested Usborne and Kingfisher pages.

Can't answer this one well as I have relied on co-op to help in this area.

3) Is there a language arts program I should be using, or should we just wing it with reading, Spelling Workout, and First Language Lessons? FYI, when we tried First Language Lessons last year, the kids were NOT engaged. Maybe they were too young, though. I liked FLL and SWO for my kids, and added in Rod and Staff at about 3rd grade. If you already tried FLL and didn't like it, you might just stick with Rod and Staff across the board.

I purchased the newest one, but think the old one works just fine.

and finally...

5) During WTM's recommended reading time (not the fun reading), do you have your kids read history books, science books, or...what? When we visit the library we loosely hold to the system Jessie Wise did with her kids. Mine take out--1 science, 1 history, 1 biography, 1 poetry, and as much fiction as they care to take. I try to also get as many history books recommended in the SOTW AG but we don't do this for every unit. My dd has to read her non-fiction selections first before diving into the fiction. Ds reads whatever he wants. They have 1/2 hour or possibly as long as an hour some days for free academic reading. If they choose to read on their own at other times, they read whatever they like.

Oops, one more question. :) I read online that some people combine Mystery of History with SOTW because of gaps?? Do you do that?? I do not find gaps in SOTW and have been happy with it alone. I actually find there's just so many options in this curriculum that I cannot possibly implement them all--I find the thought of combining it with another curriculum a little overwhelming.

Thanks!

Rachel

Some thoughts above.