Menu

Chess for the computer (software or online)

Novafan

I wasn't sure if this belonged here in curriculum or on the General Board, so I hope it's okay that I posted it here.

I would like to get my DS9 a chess program for the computer. I've found many software options, but I see that there are online programs (subscriptions? memberships?) as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for playing/practicing chess on the computer?

There are a number of good options. My 4 boys have been playing chess for years.

Here are our favorite two: Chessmaster XL It teaches chess from beginning levels "this is a pawn" to much more advanced levels. My boys have LOVED this! This is the program that helped them advance very quickly in their abilities. I strongly recomend this software! The last time I looked, you could download the program to two computers for about $20. or purchase the software on disk for around $50. It's nice to have something to wrap and put under the tree.

Secondly, if your ds has been playing tournaments and is a member of US Chess Federation, than you might consider signing up for World Chess Live. The first 6 months are free to members of USCF. It is well managed, and seems safe for children. My kids love it! You can sometimes watch GM matches live on WCL, also, you can catch those on USCF too.

Hope this helps.

There are a number of good options. My 4 boys have been playing chess for years.

Here are our favorite two: Chessmaster XL It teaches chess from beginning levels "this is a pawn" to much more advanced levels. My boys have LOVED this! This is the program that helped them advance very quickly in their abilities. I strongly recomend this software! The last time I looked, you could download the program to two computers for about $20. or purchase the software on disk for around $50. It's nice to have something to wrap and put under the tree.

:iagree: We have Chessmaster 10th edition. My kids liked Fritz and Chesster, but they learned more from Chessmaster. They also play on ICC (Internet Chess Club) online.