Menu

helping DS12 grow intellectually...

DS 12 spent 7 years in a Classical School and returned home this year. He did well in school, and his teachers indicated that he was "gifted." However, he is such an in the box thinker and the school environment really reinforced that. All the learning was quite regimented and kind of a just turn the page in the textbook way of teaching. I feel like any creative spark is gone and his thinking skills are limited. He even says he prefers just regurgitating facts without thinking or processing in any way. With high school looming (and the regimented course list that he will need to get to medical school eventually), I feel like the opportunity has past for expanding his thinking skills and out of the box learning opportunities. sigh.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestions? Thanks so much - it is just discouraging to see opportunity lost...

Some ways to encourage him to think outside the box:

Legos. Lego Leagues give an opportunity for them to solve problems.

Simulation games. Maybe not the best but Oregon Trail, Sim Town and others do teach some decision making skills

Logic games. Zoombinis (a computer game) comes to mind. Perhaps too young for a 12 year old but then I really enjoyed the game!

Odyssey of the Mind. Don't these groups encourage out of the box thinking?

Mensa has some good puzzle books for kids. Challenging!

I really like the Jacobs "Math for the Human Experience" that ds12 is using this year. I feel like this math book asks him to think outside the box.

This is actually the perfect time for him to begin doing more than regurgitating facts. WTM has good questions to ask after he has read a book. The discussions you have will help him to think deeper. I also recommend logic games and next year a logic course. If you haven't read WTM, I would suggest it. Susan W. Bauer has laid out a great plan for the logic years and developing thinkers.

My son, is a math, science type. He could memorize tons of facts, but hated to think beyond that. After following many of WTM's guidlines since my son was 12, he now almost enjoys great book discussions, and loves debate. So, hang in there, and work at it, you still have lots of time to develop the skill.

In math for example, my two younger used Singapore and my older used Saxon. My two younger think differently about math. They are not hung up on learning an algorithm and can see lots of ways to approach a problem. Their thinking is more flexible. My older son focuses on the steps and has a hard time applying knowledge to new situations.

His schooling thus far has produced little joy or wonder in learning. I am not sure how to ignite it, especially in light of the demands of high school with his goal of being a doctor.

Does that make more sense?

His schooling thus far has produced little joy or wonder in learning. I am not sure how to ignite it, especially in light of the demands of high school with his goal of being a doctor.

Does he want to be a doctor or a good doctor. To be good at your profession, you have to care. Has he thought about medicine as being like detective work? There's lots of symptoms that can amount to the same illness, and there's lots of symptoms that can amount to very different illnesses. Strengthening his detective skills now on funny maths puzzles and whatnot is training his brain for his future work.

I don't know, I'm just wondering that's an approach to take.

Rosie

Does he want to be a doctor or a good doctor. To be good at your profession, you have to care. Has he thought about medicine as being like detective work? There's lots of symptoms that can amount to the same illness, and there's lots of symptoms that can amount to very different illnesses. Strengthening his detective skills now on funny maths puzzles and whatnot is training his brain for his future work.

I don't know, I'm just wondering that's an approach to take.

Rosie

I like that idea!