Menu

describe your 9-10yo's weekly history routine?

Dd is 9, fourth grade, covering 1850 to the present this year.

Some weeks she does research, some just more reading.

Research weeks:

M: begin any assigned books, look at research topic in encyclopedia, etc. & take some notes.

T: more research if necessary, continue assigned books

W: reading from spine texts, mapwork, finish research, write rough draft if summary of research.

R: revise summary, add more research if needed, continue reading assigned books

F: finish summary, finish assigned books

Non-Research Week:

M: begin assigned books

T: read

W: read spine texts, mapwork, write summary of section from one od spine texts (often SOTW)

R: read

F: finish books, revise summary

generally she has spines to read one to six pages from each, plus a history book and a biography, but I try to adjust the workload based on length/difficulty, research or not, etc.

Daily reading, daily discussion. No particular time limit.

This week my dd wrote this essay. She needs to edit further. However:

I recently visited Washington, DC with my family and some friends. It was very interesting! One of the most interesting things I learned was about the Washington Momument. Did you know there is no mortar holding the stones together?

I thought the subway in DC, called The Metro, was somewhat scary, but not really. We got on the subway in Maryland , and you get the sensation that you're descending into the Under World. It's not really scary, but you do get that feeling! The subway is nothing special, but if you go to DC, take the subway. I recommend it because my least interesting part about DC was the traffic! DC traffic is the worst, especially at rush hour.

The Museum of Natural history was very cool , and even has very good food. If you ever find yourself walking around DC craving a turkey wrap with apple bacon, and a giant cookie for dessert, head to the Natural History Museum!

If you can read well, I suggest visting The Spy Museum. If you like to see things like edible paper or other spy equipment, don't miss it!

DC is a nice place to visit, but I would NEVER want to live there.

Sort of did this on the other thread but here again--

Dd9, 4th grade

Listen to me read SOTW 3. Sometimes does coloring page while I read (rarely--seems too young now). Answer questions from AG. Do mapwork if appropriate. About one section per day.

Second day--go back over SOTW, do narration. Working on getting it narrowed down.

Third day--edit narration, make notebook page, do activity if we are doing one that week.

All week--listen to me read historical fiction related to the chapter if we are doing one. May also read assigned book if we are doing one.

Rarely any research. I asked for a small report on Great London Fire (1666). She has a tendency to copy from the book or write too much. Still working on that.

Guest Dulcimeramy

My 9yo son is in third grade, and studying The Middle Ages.

Monday: Read SOTW chapter, answer review questions, narrate each section

Tuesday: Outline corresponding pages in the Usborne Book of World History, add dates to Book of Time (using Sonlight IG for dates) and color map (from SOTW AG)

Wednesday: projects from AG.

Thursday: finish yesterday's project and/or do a new project (he loves 'em)

Friday: review questions again

He also has history reading each week. Sometimes he reads books from Sonlight Core 2, and sometimes I request library books that were suggested in the SOTW AG.

We're doing our own history - not from any curriculum.

I read aloud a non-fiction book at bedtime that deals with whatever history topic we're covering. This often brings up some discussion.

Then I assign biographies and historical fiction for them to read indepenently. We also watch documentaries and when they were younger we took lots of field trips - this has lessened and I miss it but my older two are in 6th and it's hard to find the time. My younger turns 9 on Thursday!

I haven't had them do a lot of writing with history, but I'm thinking of adding some later this year when we will start an Ancients rotation.

B (age 11) and T (age 9) recently started SOTW 4. Here's how it typically goes:

1-2 days/week (varies, based on what else we're doing): listen to SOTW chapter while we're driving somewhere. (We have the audio book.)

(Usually) the day after listening to chapter, they do the corresponding mapwork from the AG. If any of the activities look like something we want to do, we might do one. Otherwise, we're done. :) (We usually will do the cooking activities; crafty stuff, not so much.) If any of the recommended books look appealing, I may check them out from the library for extra reading. We usually don't do this, though.

Also, dh is reading This Country of Ours aloud at bedtime. Last year he read Our Island Story aloud at bedtime.

You probably don't want mine but here it is - my dd has been 9 for one whole day. Here is our weekly history routine -

We don't have one because we don't do history.

She reads about two to three hours a week (often much more than that) from one of her history books of, and we talk about it. She usually dives into history after we finish school for the day, or she reads it at night before bed.

She loves Roman history and is learning about English history thanks to references in some of her favorite literature books. Whenever we read about a time or a place, we look it up in the history encyclopedia. I have a big shelf full of books. We are covering American history through tie-ins with our LA readings or with field trips. She is getting a copy of Our Island Story for Christmas because she wants to start learning English history as if she were an English child like the kids in her Nesbit books.

We did history more formally when she was younger, but she does so much on her own that I have just dropped it as something I teach. I do keep her supplied with ideas and books, but that is all.

Edited by Karen in CO

9 yrs old; 4th grade; middle ages:

Monday - listen to chapter on audio cd; discuss

Tuesday - map work, timeline page (mark date on sheet; draw picture or map, write briefly on chapter - her choice how much to write); coloring page if desired; sometimes hands-on project

History is a frequent subject for our daily read alouds; she does a fair amount of historical fiction and biographical reading, but this is rarely 'assigned.' I just make books available!

We listen to relevant audio books in the car; this year we have done some Norse myths (hated 'em), Robin Hood (really liked it), and are in the middle of King Arthur (liking this one also).

When my son was that age, I read aloud from several different texts (nonfiction, historical fiction, and period literature) every day for 45-60 minutes. Then he would write about the topics we were reading about. So, for example, if we had read several books about Galileo, afterwards he would write a summary of Galileo's life and achievements. I also assigned books for him to read on his own, mostly historical fiction and biographies.

Edited by EKS

We are using Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ. My daughter turned 10 in Sept. & is in 5th grade. She is currently reading Story of the Ancient World right now.

Day 1 - Read 4-6 pages, oral narration, & research topic; begin history project (usually a craft-based project that lasts the week); one of several options...map work, listen to audio CD, work on chart, history-related copywork, Draw Through History.

Day 2 - Read 4-6 pages & pick copywork from the reading; con't history project; one of several options listed in day 1.

Day 3 - Read 4-6 pages & work on timeline; con't history project; one of options listed in day 1

Day 4 - Read 4-6 pages & written narration/summary; finish history project; one of options listed on day 1

Day 5 (Fridays) - Art History that corresponds with time period being studied. Reading, picture study, & art projects.

Additionally she reads independent history books chosen to correspond with the topics in history. She averages 2 chapters a day in whatever book we've chosen. She also reads a couple pages a day in Kingfisher's History Encyclopedia & narrates it to me.

Edited by Daisy

One day a week we read a chapter from Famous Men of Greece and do the corresponding Memoria Press study guide lesson. Every day my son reads 1-2 chapters from whatever book we happen to be reading for world history and 1-2 chapters from whatever book we happen to be using for American history. Two days a week, my son watches educational videos about history during lunch break.

We usually read 1-2 surveys of world history and 1-2 surveys of American history each year, and then we supplement with many books and videos on various topics and periods from the library.

We use the history based writing lessons from IEW every day, so there's some history study involved in that as well.