Menu

Do any of you tutor a PS child? I have been asked and not sure what to do.

I got an email from a friend of mine whose eldest daughter in second grade is falling behind in reading and grammar. She said her daughter knows how to do enough to just get by and that's all she is doing but is now noticeably behind. Her mom has talked to her teacher and the teacher doesn't want to do anything to help bring her up and my friend doesn't have the energy to help (or more likely just doesn't want the headache of doing it) but she is willing to pay me to tutor her daughter two nights a week in both areas to bring her back up to the rest of the class.

Not sure what to say. What would you recommend? What materials would you use to bring a lagging reader up and what would you charge? Not sure what to say about this. Need some advice. Thanks.

I got an email from a friend of mine whose eldest daughter in second grade is falling behind in reading and grammar. She said her daughter knows how to do enough to just get by and that's all she is doing but is now noticeably behind. Her mom has talked to her teacher and the teacher doesn't want to do anything to help bring her up and my friend doesn't have the energy to help (or more likely just doesn't want the headache of doing it) but she is willing to pay me to tutor her daughter two nights a week in both areas to bring her back up to the rest of the class.

Not sure what to say. What would you recommend? What materials would you use to bring a lagging reader up and what would you charge? Not sure what to say about this. Need some advice. Thanks.

I actually do this with a 3rd grader who never learned to read properly. I work with him for one hour three times a week and charge $20/hour (the going rate in my area).

I use The Writing Road to Reading for phonics and spelling instruction, and I have him read to me from McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader. In each hour we do phonograms, copywork, dictation (the WRTR spelling notebook), oral reading, and memorization. Once or twice a week, depending on time, I read a selection from an easy chapter book and do a guided narration with him. We don't spend too long on any one thing, which seems to work well for this particular child.

For his oral reading, right now we are focusing solely on fluency (rather than comprehension) until he has been introduced to all of the phonograms. Then we will probably switch from McGuffey's to easy chapter books (Frog and Toad maybe) and begin using those for guided narration. I will still read to him once a week but from a more difficult book and will just have him tell me one or two big things from the chapter rather than asking him specific questions.

If you have an email address you are willing to pm me, I would be happy to send you the lessons plans I've used with my student so you can get a better idea of just how we do things.

Phonics Pathways, ask for 4 30 min sessions a week, charge $80 a week. But that's just me.

Mix it up with some Montessori Command game time, some gross-motor time, and give her some simple books to practice on, even if you write a few yourself (use her name and her family's names as characters).

Thank you all for responding. Teachheart I sent you a pm.

This family doesn't make a lot of money so I don't think I can talk them into more than two nights a week and the girl is very flighty and a wiggleworm so I am not surprised she is getting behind. But she also has a respect for authority issue, so not sure I want to tackle that.

So far I am hearing from two different sites that the going rate is $20 a hour. Good to know.

Oh and I like the idea of writing books with her family and her as the main characters. I do that for my daughter and she loves it. I am sure this little girl would like it too.

Edited by the4Rs