Menu

Will it be confusing to go from LL1 to LC1?

Mommy7

In particular, I am wondering about the macron issue. I know zero about Latin. I read a little bit of the loooong thread on macrons. Lively Latin 1 uses macrons. Does Latina Christiana I? And if not, will it be confusing for my dc?

I'm thinking probably not because in WTM, it says if you use LL, go to LC1 afterwards. Would you all be in agreement with this?

I'm thinking I'll do LL1, LC1; then First Form. I hope I didn't goof by starting us with LL. We are loving it, but I need to know where to go afterwards. I am hesitant to go to LL2, as I've read several threads where it says that it gets much harder in the second level. Do you agree?

Are you sure you need to do LC1 after LL1? That doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you keep going with LL, if you like it? LC is what we used, and I'd definitely suggest sticking with LL if you like it. Latin *is* hard. Switching curricula isn't going to change that. LC is teacher-driven and focuses on memory work. You really have to put effort into making it work, unlike my impression of LL where it's just open and go. Is it possible your understanding of LL2 is based on one or two users who got stumped and doesn't reflect the broader concensus? I mean it could be a bum level, don't know, haven't kept up. But it's been such a winner in it's first level, that would surprise me. Depending on the ages of your dc, I'd go over to First Form directly rather than doing LC. If we had continued latin, we definitely would have abandoned the LC2 we were doing and jumped to FF.

Well, I'll preface my comments first by saying that I've not used LC1 nor have I read the latest edition of WTM.

I use LL1 with my kids (I assume you're talking about Lively Latin, right?). I'm not sure why you'd go from LL1 to LC1. Are you sure that's right? I would imagine that LC1 would be a huge review (and probably kinda boring) for your kids after LL1 not because LC1 is inherently a worse/more inferior program; but, rather, because I can't imagine LC1 covering that much more than LL1 does. Of course, as I said, I haven't seen LC1; so, I could be mistaken about that.

As for the macron issue - I think it's easier for young Latin scholars (young meaning anyone learning Latin, not necessarily referring to chronological age:tongue_smilie:) to use the macrons. It seems that this helps cement cases/forms/declensions, etc. I thought that thread you referenced in your OP was fascinating and it confirmed why I'm teaching my kids using the macrons. That being said I don't think your kids will suffer any by not learning using macrons. They may be a little confuzzled initially, should you choose LC1 (or any program which doesn't use the macrons), but, ultimately, they'll be fine.

I've glanced at LL2, but not begun using it. So, I can't really give a thorough evaluation of it yet. I'm not sure how old your kids are. If they're very young (i.e. 6-8ish), LL2 might move too fast for them and you'd need to slow way down. If they're older, they might not have any problems. In any event, whichever program you choose, I think your kids will do well. Good Luck.

Thank you for your responses.

The only reason I would go to LC1 after LL1 is because that is the recommendation in WTM. Of course, LL2 may not have been out yet.

OhElizabeth, you may be absolutely right. I may have just formed an impression from one or two stumped individuals. I would *love* to go on to LL2. I was just a little confused by the rec. in WTM.

Btw, my dc that are in our latin class are 8 (second grade), 9 (3rd grade), and 11 (4th grade). We are just getting going with LL. I didn't know how long it would take to go through it. We are doing 15 min. a day. I guess I was a little concerned about my 8 yo. If it got harder, she might be lost.

I just like to think ahead, about the sequence I'll use...I like to know where I am headed, if , Lord willing, I get there.

Is she planning a LL3????

I'm not sure why the new WTM suggests LC after LL, except for the fact that LL2 was probably not available at press time. I've used and like LC in certain contexts, but it doesn't make any sense to me to switch from LL to LC... I'd recommend sticking with LL unless you run into some sort of insurmountable problem.

Good idea. I think I'll stick with LL...Another reason I was considering it is that I just started Latin this year with my 7th grader and we are using First Form. I was kind of hoping to work into that later. But, it may not work out. Do you have any idea if that could work? I don't know what LL2 covers verses First Form...

Well you'll know what to do when you get there, but I think you could go from LL2 into FF1 or 2 quite nicely. Remember they were telling us kids who had done LC1 and some (or none) of LC2 could go into FF1. They said if you have completed LC2 to go into FF2. So I think you have some flexibility there, depending on the age of the student, etc. Since you're doing FF, I think you'll have no trouble deciding how to transition directly from LL to FF when you're ready. (Say I who never used either, lol. But I used LC and looked over FF. Like FF a lot btw.)