Menu

Classical Composition users?

5LittleMonkeys

I ran across this in my search for progymnasmata on the net and wanted to know if any one here is currently using it and with what type of results. It looks to be similar to CW. It seems to be purely writing instruction; no grammar/spelling/vocab. Is that accurate? Also what grade are you using it with and what level did you start with? I would be using this with my 5th and 6th graders. Is it easy to implement? Any info would be great. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I ran across this in my search for progymnasmata on the net and wanted to know if any one here is currently using it and with what type of results. It looks to be similar to CW. It seems to be purely writing instruction; no grammar/spelling/vocab. Is that accurate? Also what grade are you using it with and what level did you start with? I would be using this with my 5th and 6th graders. Is it easy to implement? Any info would be great. Thanks.

I am using it with my two olders. It is similar to CW mainly if not only in that they both use the progymnasmata. It is purely writing instruction, yes.

We started with it just this year. My 7th grader had done Igniting Your Writing, Writer's Express, Writing Strands and W.I.N. in the past. My 4th grader had done WWE and Just Write. I put the 4th grader directly into Fable as soon as I realized she was breezing through her WWE exercises. (That must've been a developmental jump, because it happened suddenly and randomly.) Fable seemed too young for the 7th grader this year, so I put him right into Narrative from his previous non-progym program. Neither kid has had any real issues adjusting, except to the structure of the lessons. ("You want me to rewrite that same story AGAIN?")

I find it easy to implement. Others don't. It's not open and go; you have to read the manual. Once you do, you can pick it up each day and go into it on the spot. I don't find myself needing to study the week's lessons ahead of my kids.

Yes, as far as I know...I looked at samples quite a bit, but I haven't used it.