Menu

Findings on effects of watching educational television

I agree with others on this list that when I think of educational tv, I never think of Nickolodean or Disney. Some of PBS counts and much of what is on some other channels counts. I am trying to remember what they watched as 4 year olds-REading Rainbow, the one with the Jack Russel Terrier acting out scenes from literature, my oldest watched some shows on TLC (this was almost 20 years ago when TLC was actually educational). They also watched shows we watched like animal shows, nature shows, etc. I didn't let them watch Arthur because of the bad behavior shown on the show. The youngest watched Teletubbies. None of them were big watchers of Sesame street.

Personally, I don't think of PBS, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to be "educational" in nature. PBS is entertaining w/ Clifford and Arthur, but educational?

"Educational," in my mind, for kids would be National Geographic shows, Liberty Kids (okay, I guess this was on PBS,we watch on dvd), schoolhouse rock etc.

I've never thought of anything Disney does as being "educational."

Alley

:iagree:

First, I don't understand a first time poster here who resurrects a three year old thread and with spelling, grammar, and punctuation so poor it makes my head hurt trying to follow it.

Second, I can't put much stock into anyone that can possibly bend the label "educational" to include Spongebob.

Please stop before believing what this person is saying i now from experiance that disney channel is a bad influence on kids i now a little girl who was really sweet turn into a brat pretty much overnight and is still that way and nicklodeon has some of the same effects on kids the other thing about this post pbs is not that bad of a influence on kids arthur isnt that bad and definltey isnt as bad as the disney channel. and kids who watch pbs are alot calmer and arent brats ive seen a couple kids who watched pbs up to 2 grade and they didnt turn out bad. clearly the person who wrote this book hasnt connected to any of the kids at all and is just going on a shallow test. And one last thing dont let your kid watch history channel half of the time all that is on is ancient aliens and im pretty sure you dont want your kids watching that.

Which history channel shows are about ancient aliens?

Curious why this could be, Ostrov's team sat down and watched several programs on PBS, Nickelodeon, and the Disney Channel. Ostrov saw that, in some shows, relational aggression is modeled at a fairly high rate. Ostrov theorized that many educational shows spend most of the half-hour establishing a conflict between characters and only a few minutes resolving that conflict.

"Preschoolers have a difficult time being able to connect information at the end of the show to what happened earlier," Ostrov wrote in his paper. "It is likely that young children do not attend to the overall 'lesson' in the manner an older child or adult can, but instead learn from each of the behaviors shown." ...

I said brought exactly this up to my husband a year or so ago about some of the preschool shows my daughter watched some afternoon's. Ni-Hao Kai-Lan is especially bad about this. Sure, it's trying to teach kids manners and some Chinese words and numbers, but it spent more time showing the friends being mean to each other than anything else and it drove me nuts.

What shows do they consider "educational". When I think of that word, I think of David Attenborough's Life in the Undergrowth. Clearly other people are thinking something else (and as usual the band has marched off in a different direction, and I'm alone at the other end of the field with my Sousaphone).

if david attenborough is leading the band, i'm right there following along with you! he is wonderful..... simply wonder-full.

:) ann

Personally, I don't think of PBS, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to be "educational" in nature. PBS is entertaining w/ Clifford and Arthur, but educational?

"Educational," in my mind, for kids would be National Geographic shows, Liberty Kids (okay, I guess this was on PBS,we watch on dvd), schoolhouse rock etc.

Alley

:iagree: I was wondering how Blue Planet or something similar was causing aggression. :)

We stopped watching PBS for the very reason this study mentions. My kids would put one another down, call one another names, and hit one another after watching many shows on there. Clifford was a fun show, and it seemed to be ok for them, but most others, not so much, so we just stopped watching PBS altogether. We do not have cable, so my kids do not watch the other stations mentioned.

Alley

this was my thought exactly!!

ETA: goodness, I didn't notice it was such an old thread!!

Edited by momtoamiracle

Thanks for sharing that. It confirmed to me the reason behind my own deep dislike of the negative social interactions increasingly displayed as norms to very young children through television. I do wonder if this, alone, is responsible for what seems to me to be an increasing trend of normalizing social ugliness, in mainstream society in America.

Old Barney episodes, Bo on the Go, and Caillou (mostly) seem fine to me so far, but the shows that aren't guilty of trying to teach something by using most of the airtime normalizing antisocial behaviors, seem few and far between.

Nickelodeon

the Disney Channel.

Arthur

SpongeBob SquarePants

I had no idea these were educational. They always seem like junk to me. I recall kiddo being put upstairs at a party with the TV. He came down in 10 minutes and said, "It was some guy who thought he was a sponge, and he was BORING."

We like David Attenborough and Sister Wendy for our "light" entertainment. :001_smile:

I wonder if Nova makes kids aggressive? That's my DD's favorite PBS show.

I'm surprised that Arther would make a kid more aggressive than a show where they show fighting. The aggressive kids that I've seen are usually doing a karate chop or something move from Star Wars?

I haven't looked at the book, but I wonder if they have an agenda?

modern marvels is a favorite here. (I dvr, and delete topics I don't want him watching. e.g. I figure" engineering disasters" would give him nightmares. 2ds got upset with me for deleting the one on "dirt".)

curious george cartoons have long been banned here. he's *always* causing trouble, but NEVER getting in trouble.