Menu

Not feeling like a good mommy right now

Dh and I have been done our Christmas shopping for weeks now and I am onto the wrapping phase of things. Sadly, a couple weeks ago, I came to the realization that the "perfect" gift that we decided together on purchasing for dd8 is not the perfect gift afterall. The kids each get a Santa gift, a big gift from us, and several smaller gifts. The gift we messed up on was the big gift from mom and dad. I REALLY wanted to get her something very special this year since the other kids are going to be really thrilled with their big gifts.

Dd is not a greedy or materialistic kid. It's very hard to buy her gifts because there is seldom anything she wants. :tongue_smilie: It's been a couple of weeks of mulling this over and I still have no clue.

Can someone here help me save this situation? This is so hard to ask complete strangers, but here's my plea.

She really likes craft stuff- has asked for clay "stuff" which is what prompted my pottery wheel thread but I can't decide if those toy pottery wheels are worth the money or not. She does have pierced ears so I thought maybe a nice pair or two of gold earrings would be a special treat.

*sigh* I really don't know what to get my dd and I feel so bad. I know that this isn't what Christmas is about, but she's my one kid who is very undemanding about everything. She never asks for anything, and will share stuff with her siblings or give them the toy she is playing with so they won't cry. I wanted to do something really special for her but I can't even seem to think of what. :(

ETA: I've asked her several times what she would like and she can't think of anything. The only thing she has asked for is the new Mario Bros DS game, but one of the Aunts has already bought that for her. AND- the only other things she put on her Santa letter list are things for her younger sister!! She really wants her younger sister to be happy and to get the gifts she's asked for so dd8, on her own initiative put them on her list too.(she even told Santa that they would be to give to her younger sister!)- see what I mean? This kid needs something for her!!

Edited by plain jane

Does she listen to music? My daughter likes the little I-pod thing that her bio dad got her. It's an apple.... So.... She listens to music or books on it all the time. So... school... or pleasure.... :-)

Crochet lessons and such?? Or.... those yarn things that you use the hook thing.... and make the picture? Or... a really nice set of art pens... (just saw a thread about the ones with "D" for the first letter of the brand... being nice.. and a nice stack of paper.

Carrie:-)

Does she listen to music? My daughter likes the little I-pod thing that her bio dad got her. It's an apple.... So.... She listens to music or books on it all the time. So... school... or pleasure.... :-)

Crochet lessons and such?? Or.... those yarn things that you use the hook thing.... and make the picture? Or... a really nice set of art pens... (just saw a thread about the ones with "D" for the first letter of the brand... being nice.. and a nice stack of paper.

Carrie:-)

Hmmm. She may like the art pens. I just received an iPod Classic a while back and it's got 160GB or something ridiculous so she's just been using mine. I had wanted to get her her own, but thought that it would be a bit of a frivulous expense at this point in time. I rarely use mine, so it's pretty much hers anyways. :tongue_smilie:

She'd love lessons, but we're tapped out on outside activities already.

Thank you for the ideas! :auto: to find that other thread..

If she's asking for "clay stuff", then how about a box of various styles/types of clay with tools and a project idea book? You can get all sorts of varieties of clay and molding materials, and there some nice beginner tool kits on the market. You could pull together an amazing set of resources for her along that theme! And with a girl that is obviously so giving and lovely, imagine how much fun she'll have using her new tools to make gifts for her family and friends! :D

If she's asking for "clay stuff", then how about a box of various styles/types of clay with tools and a project idea book? You can get all sorts of varieties of clay and molding materials, and there some nice beginner tool kits on the market. You could pull together an amazing set of resources for her along that theme! And with a girl that is obviously so giving and lovely, imagine how much fun she'll have using her new tools to make gifts for her family and friends! :D

Do you have any links or ideas on how I can get going with such a gift? I really like this idea but have no idea where to start. :confused: I am the complete opposite of crafty. In fact, my dh is the one doing crafts with the dc this afternoon.:001_huh: It's not that he likes doing them, he just seems to have less of an aversion.:tongue_smilie:

Do you have any links or ideas on how I can get going with such a gift? I really like this idea but have no idea where to start. :confused: I am the complete opposite of crafty. In fact, my dh is the one doing crafts with the dc this afternoon.:001_huh: It's not that he likes doing them, he just seems to have less of an aversion.:tongue_smilie:

Do a search on Amazon for Sculpey clay. Different clay packs come up, along with some idea books. Maybe if you start your browsing there you'll come across the perfect gift?

I would probably get her a 25lb block of clay with some hand building tools and then sign her up for a class.

Look around to see if you can find a pottery class for kids (wheel or handbuilding) through a community center, craft guild, etc. We just signed our 5 year old up for a hand building class at our local art center and they sold us a 25lb block of the clay they use as well so we could have something to wrap.

eta: clay is cheap through a craft center, I think it was $18 and we live in a high cost of living area.

Have you checked out dickblick.com? I have not ordered from them yet, but they have been mentioned several times on these boards. My dd is 9 and a crafty girl. She gave me a big thumbs up about the looks of this- http://www.dickblick.com/products/sculpey-eraser-clay/#description

There are some gift suggestions based on price for kids. Maybe if you look there it will spark some other ideas.

Jan

Do a search on Amazon for Sculpey clay. Different clay packs come up, along with some idea books. Maybe if you start your browsing there you'll come across the perfect gift?

Definitely second the sculpey clay! Ds2 here is crafty, creative and has great fine-motor skills. We found sculpey a couple years ago in one of those "klutz" all-in-one kits. He loooves it. I tuck extra clay colors in his stocking. He uses a set of pottery tools. Is it percytruffle (?) here who has sculpey on her blog? Ds would like to one day create his own chess set.

You could also get her some posts and things to create earrings using her own sculpey beads.

One year, one of my aunts (in an amazing moment of love and generosity) created one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. She took a big box and wrapped up a variety of art and craft materials. Nice stuff. Watercolor pad, bristol pad, sketchbooks, paints, brushes, nice pencils, natural sponges, all kinds of things -- all wrapped individually and bundled in this big box.

The toy pottery wheels are frustrating for a child who's really interested in crafts, I think, because they're not sturdy enough to do much. Any chance you could find a pottery place or independent potter who would teach dd?

My kids are like that, and my youngest is even more so. My oldest dd , 17 , is actually asking for something this year- an iPod. Shocking I tell you. Even my dh didn't balk at the price. He chuckled, 'Get it!" (She runs x country & spends a lot of quiet hours in her head). A few years ago she asked for a watch. My youngest hardly wants anything. Her' list' is silly putty and Mad Libs. ;) A couple of weeks ago, our youngest mentioned that she thought she could use a pocket knife (she loves to explore outside and collect shells, acorns, pine cones & interesting pieces of wood etc) so I thought wow, that is something she will really love, so we are getting that as well as the Silly Putty. ;)

But. I don't feel like a bad mother. In fact, I feel like a decent mother. If kids live their lives without looking for *stuff* isn't that good? (Although I think this is more personality than anything. I won't take credit). If they have good mental health (by the luck of the draw, because my family is 'nuts') , a loving family, and want what they have isn't that a good thing? I mean, isn't that where we are all trying to go, emotionally, with the whole deculttering/'simplicity' movement?

If my little one had not come up with the pocket knife idea, I would have given her a GC to her fav restaurant. She loves a particular Mexican place. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm not sure which craft stores would be near you, but for an idea what one might carry, go to this page of A.C. Moore's website, or this page at Michael's. Michael's also has a great explanation of clay basics. Of course, Dick Blick does have an incredible selection of items, including a nice beginner tool set.

To get a feel for clay, I personally would not recommend working with a wheel to start. But I'm not a professional artist by any stretch of the imagination. One art teacher I know prefers to use Model Magic (from Crayola)for her high schooler's first attempt at a clay-like substance.

My kids are like that, and my youngest is even more so. My oldest dd , 17 , is actually asking for something this year- an iPod. Shocking I tell you. Even my dh didn't balk at the price. He chuckled, 'Get it!" (She runs x country & spends a lot of quiet hours in her head). A few years ago she asked for a watch. My youngest hardly wants anything. Her' list' is silly putty and Mad Libs. ;) A couple of weeks ago, our youngest mentioned that she thought she could use a pocket knife (she loves to explore outside and collect shells, acorns, pine cones & interesting pieces of wood etc) so I thought wow, that is something she will really love, so we are getting that as well as the Silly Putty. ;)

But. I don't feel like a bad mother. In fact, I feel like a decent mother. If kids live their lives without looking for *stuff* isn't that good? (Although I think this is more personality than anything. I won't take credit). If they have good mental health (by the luck of the draw, because my family is 'nuts') , a loving family, and want what they have isn't that a good thing? I mean, isn't that where we are all trying to go, emotionally, with the whole deculttering/'simplicity' movement?

If my little one had not come up with the pocket knife idea, I would have given her a GC to her fav restaurant. She loves a particular Mexican place. :)

To clarify, I don't feel bad because she doesn't want "stuff" I just feel bad because I, as her mommy, don't know what to get her. I sorta figured that as a HS'ing mama who spends 24/7 with her kiddos that I'd know what to get my sweet dd. :001_huh:

To clarify, I don't feel bad because she doesn't want "stuff" I just feel bad because I, as her mommy, don't know what to get her. I sorta figured that as a HS'ing mama who spends 24/7 with her kiddos that I'd know what to get my sweet dd. :001_huh:

I understood. But what do you get for a child who wants emotionally for nothing. If my dd hadn't mentioned the pocket knife, I would have taken her to a resturant. That doesn't make me a bad mommy. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Guest janainaz

What about a special day for the two of you to a pottery painting place? Just throwing it out there....

My ds9 is the same way, he had nothing to write on his list - he was racking his brain. This year I have come to the conclusion that I'm glad he's that way. He likes spending time with us, he likes to get out, he likes doing stuff together. Toys and stuff like that just don't over-excite him. I've walked the stores looking for stuff to get him and I just come up blank.

Good luck! She sounds like she'd be pretty easy to please and you could probably suprise her with anything and she'd be happy!

Do you have Micheal's Craft stores where you are?

They have a really good selection of clay/craft stuff.

I like the idea of an art basket with clay, sculpting tools, drawing supplies, paints........Maybe one of those picnic baskets with a closing lid filled with art goodies?

Here are a few ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/Sculpey-III-Classic-Collection-Pack/dp/B001BYPQYO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1260661689&sr=8-3-fkmr1

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Clay-Characters-Maureen-Carlson/dp/0891347216/ref=pd_sim_k_7

http://www.amazon.com/11-piece-Pottery-Sculpture-Carving-Tools/dp/B001BZSX9I/ref=pd_sim_b_11

Dh and I have been done our Christmas shopping for weeks now and I am onto the wrapping phase of things. Sadly, a couple weeks ago, I came to the realization that the "perfect" gift that we decided together on purchasing for dd8 is not the perfect gift afterall.

Can someone here help me save this situation? This is so hard to ask complete strangers, but here's my plea.

She really likes craft stuff- has asked for clay "stuff" which is what prompted my pottery wheel thread but I can't decide if those toy pottery wheels are worth the money or not. This kid needs something for her!!

Since you says she likes clay -- may I suggest a pasta maker from Atlas?

It may seem strange but dd (15) says this is absolutely the best thing for getting the clay into sheets for her clay creations.

HTH

~Moira

DD had a clay project last month. Dh just went to Michaels and picked Crayola air drying clay, clay tools and Crayola waterpaints. She made a couple of statues and painted them. I would also pick up an apron and perhaps an art table of some kind. Make it her own special thing. You can even find aprons I think on Oriental Trading that are canvas and she can decorate herself. Oh yeah, a lil art tote to carry her supplies. If she is really good w/the air clay, you can bump up to wheel for bday or next Christmas.

There is a company that has clay bead making kits for jewelry, I think hearthsong or magic cabin. Even Dick blick might have those.

Sonlight Catalog has exactly this type of thing. A complete "how to sculpt" kit.

MY dd loves clay too - we are waiting for her be old enough for the wheel throwing classes at the local art school. In the meantime, she started with Model Magic the air drying clay then last year for her birthday we got her a box full of assorted polymer clays, clay tools, softening oil, a couple of books. She loved it and still uses it.

My dd is super crafty - this year her big surprise is going to be a loom. And the food dehydrator that she has been begging for.

Of course now, I'm going to have to try the clay in the pasta machine that I'm getting ds for CHristmas.

I've taken quite a few pottery classes as well.

I have looked at those little wheels, and I think that they would be very frustrating. Just don't even bother with those!

I think that most people should start with hand building techniques and gradually progress to using a wheel. But, I don't think you want to do this at home--it's quite a lot to take on, and learning the 'feel' of the clay, and the drying and firing and glazing processes, are big parts of that. Clay work is extremely dirty, dusty, and sloppy. You really would need a pretty dedicated space to do this at home, and it's not something that is easily self taught.

Re. polymer clay, it's a lot more easy to pull that off at home. There are brilliant colors available, as well as earth tones. There are great books that teach special effects. I have to say, I'm a little leery of polymer clay because of the PVC in it. The fact that it is so soft at room temperature makes me think that there are carcinogens just waiting to soak into your skin. Definitely never bake it in an oven you would ever again use for food, and also I would recommend molding it with gloves on if possible.

There is a great website/catalogue--Magic Cabin Dolls. Google that, and I'll bet you'll get some great ideas. They have a dollhouse that looks like a 3 story treehouse, with furniture carved out of pieces of branches and such. It's really, really special! That would be an awesome 'big gift' idea, I'll bet. They also have some very fine quality gift kits for making things--not your normal plastic/acrylic stuff, but a beautiful bag full of knitting supplies with real bamboo needles, and real wool year, plus an instruction book; or the same kind of thing for crochet and embroidery. They also have kits or materials for making dolls. They are geared toward natural materials with beauty.

You might also look for Waldorf-style craft books. Those are pricey because they have many colored pictures, but very unusual in quality and in the use of natural materials.

Clairvoyance is not required for good mothering. If the child doesn't ask for anything and doesn't seem to want anything, then whatever you get her will be fine.

LOL What are you saying?? Mothers are supposed to be clairvoyant! We should know all, all the time! Everything! Otherwise, we are bupkis.

Kidding, OP. :D You are not bupkis! (I am, but that, I am afraid, is yet another boring post).

Go to a craft store. Go to the Sculpey clay section. You can buy various colors of clay and books with projects. Look through the book you like and see if there are any tools you need. (A garlic press would be nice. If she wants to do something like tiles for mosaics, there are special rectangular blades that work well. Otherwise, I can't think of any tools you'd need at a basic level.) Sometimes Sculpey will package stuff in kits. The Sculpey is pretty pricey (about $2 a cake) so you can easily get into "big present" territory. I would have loved a gift like that as a kid.

Dh and I have been done our Christmas shopping for weeks now and I am onto the wrapping phase of things. Sadly, a couple weeks ago, I came to the realization that the "perfect" gift that we decided together on purchasing for dd8 is not the perfect gift afterall. The kids each get a Santa gift, a big gift from us, and several smaller gifts. The gift we messed up on was the big gift from mom and dad. I REALLY wanted to get her something very special this year since the other kids are going to be really thrilled with their big gifts.

Dd is not a greedy or materialistic kid. It's very hard to buy her gifts because there is seldom anything she wants. :tongue_smilie: It's been a couple of weeks of mulling this over and I still have no clue.

She really likes craft stuff- has asked for clay "stuff" which is what prompted my pottery wheel thread but I can't decide if those toy pottery wheels are worth the money or not. She does have pierced ears so I thought maybe a nice pair or two of gold earrings would be a special treat.

*sigh* I really don't know what to get my dd and I feel so bad. I know that this isn't what Christmas is about, but she's my one kid who is very undemanding about everything. She never asks for anything, and will share stuff with her siblings or give them the toy she is playing with so they won't cry. I wanted to do something really special for her but I can't even seem to think of what. :(

ETA: I've asked her several times what she would like and she can't think of anything. The only thing she has asked for is the new Mario Bros DS game, but one of the Aunts has already bought that for her. AND- the only other things she put on her Santa letter list are things for her younger sister!! She really wants her younger sister to be happy and to get the gifts she's asked for so dd8, on her own initiative put them on her list too.(she even told Santa that they would be to give to her younger sister!)- see what I mean? This kid needs something for her!!

OK Jane...I have it! I would find an art studio/artist/local community college where you could enroll her in a short series of classes....hopefully with finished product by her design of a clay/fired item. My 10+ yo dd did something similar to this a couple of years ago..festival where man was already set up with wheel, clay. It was only a matter of minutes for him to guide her hands into a piece of art that we have on a living room table. It was only $5 because this was a festival and there were hundreds of people pouring through to different vendors/booths.

A 4-week class somewhere should provide her with a new, educational experience as well as making a pottery item that she can permanently use and cherish. HTH